Helpful Links

sync pop3 email from outlook 2007 to iphone 4

Tutor

sync pop3 email from outlook 2007 to iphone 4

I am newbie to iphone and having a glitch with syncing email.  If I use my laptop Outlook 2007 to get email off the server (Verizon) itunes does not sync those emails with my iphone.  I understand that when Outlook/laptop gets the emails it deletes them from the server, but doesn't itunes sync the emails in my Outlook mailbox with the iphone mailbox?  It seemed when I first got the phone I was getting all emails on both phone and laptop.  Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 10

Re: sync pop3 email from outlook 2007 to iphone 4

PoetDoc wrote:

I am newbie to iphone and having a glitch with syncing email.  If I use my laptop Outlook 2007 to get email off the server (Verizon) itunes does not sync those emails with my iphone.  I understand that when Outlook/laptop gets the emails it deletes them from the server, but doesn't itunes sync the emails in my Outlook mailbox with the iphone mailbox?  It seemed when I first got the phone I was getting all emails on both phone and laptop.  Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can sync Outlook mail to the iPhone, but you would have to actually sync it on your computer.

I have mine set up in OUTLOOK to not delete them from the server once it gets the e-mail.  My mail account is an sbcglobal account which goes through yahoo, so on my phone I have my mail set up as a yahoo account, not a microsoft exchange account.

I would validate what type of e-mail account you have and make sure your phone is set up that way, then set outlook up to NOT delete from the server.  I don't thinkit is possible to get the mail to your phone once it is deleted from the server UNLESS you actually sync it on your computer through iTunes.

Does this make sense????

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

I have been syncing with itures and have it set to sync my calendar, notes and emails.  I am using a hardwire sync - the wire that came with the phone.  Calendar and notes seem to work fine - just not emails.

I read on other forums (after I posted this question here) that itunes only syncs the iphone SETTINGS, not the actual emails in the outlook file itself.  So I am confused. 

Message 3 of 10

Who do u go through to get your email? For example, mine is through AT&T and I have an sbcglobal account which is really a yahoo account. I am trying to see if your account is set up right on your phone.

But, at home I actually use outlook. On my phone it is set as yahoo because that is my true email account holder. In my situation I have outlook leave a copy on the server, which is yahoo, so that ICANN get the mail on my phone even if I have outlook open at home.

Does his help or am I complicating things?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 4 of 10
Tutor

Thanks click click I think we are getting closer.  My email is Verizon, pop3.  I am guessing there is a setting in Outlook that either leaves the email on the server or not.  (Although it might be a Verizon thing - I'm not sure.)  I don't want my email in Yahoo or Gmail because it is less secure and I've had some friends get their accounts taken over by hackers.  I will look on Outlook and see if there is a way to leave things on the server for a while.  I'll let you know if I solve it.

Message 5 of 10

Please do

Message 6 of 10
Tutor

Problem solved.  I went into my email account on Outlook and changed the settings to leave email on the Verizon server for 10 days - more than long enough to make sure both iPhone and Outlook get the same emails.

Thanks for your help click clack.

Message 7 of 10

Good deal

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

I've read your response to the newbie question, and have some further questions for you...

I guess the basic thing is that an e-mail account set up as POP3 on a latptop with Outlook and similarly with the iPhone4, syncing does not copy everything you may have done on your phone (e.g. replied to an e-mail, sent a new one, etc.) to your laptop outlook, or vice versa, as one might intuitively assume, correct?  To do this, you would have to set up the e-mail account as an IMAP, where in all the e-mails and folders you create are really on the mail server, not on our laptop or iPhone4, but both merely access them.  Do I have this right?  I have started to experiment with IMAP with another e-mail account, but haven't got very far...

I understand the newbie's problem, being he wants to make sure any received e-mail is shows up on both his latop Outlook and his iPhone4, and setting his e-mail account to keep e-mail messages on the server solves this issue.

Is there any clever way to ensure that e-mails sent from the iPhone4 get to copied back your laptop Outlook?  I have tried the turning on the iPhone's "BCC yourself" option.  This kind of works, but it also sends a copy to right back to your iPhone, which is both redundant and annoying.  It would be nice you could set the specifc address of the BCC. Any other ideas to solve this?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
Scholar

This is just my input. It may or may not help. My outlook 2010 was set up first following windows directions.

Then i set up my iphone using pop3 settings. incoming mail example pop-server.gt.rr.com

then the outgoing. smtp is cwnx.com.

so anyway i can get mail from both.laptop and iphone. it doesn't matter which one i check first.

if i check it from the iphone and delete it.it will still remains in outlook. and if i delete it from outlook

it remains on the iphone.

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support