Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 19, 2012
1:45:10 PM
switching from Galaxy S to HTC one X-how to transfer stuff

Just got my HTC one x but have no idea how to transfer my contacts n paid apps from my galaxy s since it has a regular sim card n the htc has a micro sim..

please help asap i wann use my new phone right away..

thank you...

Just got my HTC one x but have no idea how to transfer my contacts n paid apps from my galaxy s since it has a regular sim card n the htc has a micro sim..

please help asap i wann use my new phone right away..

thank you...

switching from Galaxy S to HTC one X-how to transfer stuff

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2012 3:11:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sign in with the same GMail account that you used on the Galaxy S when you turn on the One X.  If you have already did the initial sign-in on your phone, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync and add the Google account if needed.

This should pull over all apps and contacts associated with your GMail account.  If you didn't sync your contacts on your Galaxy S to your Gmail account and you still have it, you can turn that phone on and sync it to GMail. 

Sign in with the same GMail account that you used on the Galaxy S when you turn on the One X.  If you have already did the initial sign-in on your phone, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync and add the Google account if needed.

This should pull over all apps and contacts associated with your GMail account.  If you didn't sync your contacts on your Galaxy S to your Gmail account and you still have it, you can turn that phone on and sync it to GMail. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: switching from Galaxy S to HTC one X-how to transfer stuff

2 of 6 (3,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 12:56:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 20, 2012 at 12:57:42 PM

You should keep all your contacts on Gmail.   Storing them on SIM is a pretty obsolete method, and not very convenient as you now see (plus, if you lose your phone, you lose all your contacts).  If they aren't already on Gmail, you can try to go into your Contacts settings on the Galaxy S and see if there is a way to merge or transfer your SIM contacts to Gmail.  I've never owned a Samsung smartphone, so not sure if they have that option.  But I bet it does.

Also, if you buy your phone from an AT&T store, they will ask if you want your contacts transferred over.  Or if they don't ask you, just ask them to do it for you.

But you don't even need to do that, if you have your contacts on Gmail.  When you first power on your new phone and enter your Google login info, your contacts will be AUTOMAGICALLY synched to your new phone.  ITs one of the beauties of Android and the Google ecosystem.

As far as apps, you don't need to "transfer" anything to your new phone.  You can install the paid apps on as many devices as you want.  Some apps may download automatically when you login to your new phone (as suggested in the response above).  But you may need to go into the Play Store and download them manually.

You should keep all your contacts on Gmail.   Storing them on SIM is a pretty obsolete method, and not very convenient as you now see (plus, if you lose your phone, you lose all your contacts).  If they aren't already on Gmail, you can try to go into your Contacts settings on the Galaxy S and see if there is a way to merge or transfer your SIM contacts to Gmail.  I've never owned a Samsung smartphone, so not sure if they have that option.  But I bet it does.

Also, if you buy your phone from an AT&T store, they will ask if you want your contacts transferred over.  Or if they don't ask you, just ask them to do it for you.

But you don't even need to do that, if you have your contacts on Gmail.  When you first power on your new phone and enter your Google login info, your contacts will be AUTOMAGICALLY synched to your new phone.  ITs one of the beauties of Android and the Google ecosystem.

As far as apps, you don't need to "transfer" anything to your new phone.  You can install the paid apps on as many devices as you want.  Some apps may download automatically when you login to your new phone (as suggested in the response above).  But you may need to go into the Play Store and download them manually.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (3,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 2:01:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Thanks redpoint for putting some "meat" on my bony response! :smileyhappy:

Thanks redpoint for putting some "meat" on my bony response! :smileyhappy:

4 of 6 (3,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 4:09:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for replies.. I did a sync on my Samsung before activating my HTC but nothing is coming in for my contacts?
Thanks for replies.. I did a sync on my Samsung before activating my HTC but nothing is coming in for my contacts?

5 of 6 (3,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 4:32:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Under Settings>Accounts & Sync>Google>Sync Contacts, is this checked?  If not, check this and see if your contacts come in to your contacts list.

Under Settings>Accounts & Sync>Google>Sync Contacts, is this checked?  If not, check this and see if your contacts come in to your contacts list.

6 of 6 (3,529 Views)