stop microcell updates/rebooting - no gps signal

Teacher

stop microcell updates/rebooting - no gps signal

Hello,

First i'd like to say AT&T's tech support in this matter is absolutely useless and they cannot understand my problem at all. Numerous attempts to try to get them to do something has only resulted in loss of hair and time off my life.

I work in an office building, near the center of it. No one in our building has service on any carrier, unless you work on only the outside wall and even then service is spotty at best. Likewise there's no GPS signal anywhere in our building, the only place i can get a GPS lock in a reasonable amount of time is right by the door on ground floor.

So i got a microcell so i and a few associates could get cell service while we're in the office. However it wont connect becuase we it wont find GPS! AT&T used to override this for people in my situation but have long since stopped that (i've had a microcell at my hosue for 6 months with a similar issue). I got an external GPS antenna but even the 25ft reach on it wasnt enough to pick up GPS signal. The only way i can get a lock is to have my microcell hooked up to a UPS, then carry it and the UPS downstairs to the door and wait for a lock (15-30minutes) then carry it back over to our area of the office (no i cannot leave it there - its too far away anyways for me to get service in my office). This is very annoying. But it's made even more annoying because AT&T seems to update and reboot my microcell whenever they please. WTH! Usually its only once every 1-2weeks, but like today its only been 2 days! When this happens i have to actually stay late - after everyone has left the building - to bring the UPS/microcell out there and then wait another 30minutes for it to get lock.

This is ridiculous. There has to be a better way? If AT&T wont override my GPS locations, if they wont stop updating/rebooting my microcell, then I need to stop it somehow. Can i put it behind some kind of firewall? What ports and traffic would i need to block? Does anyone have any ideas/experience with this?

Please help with suggestions!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 23 (5,364 Views)
Teacher

Re: stop microcell updates/rebooting - no gps signal

[ Edited ]

Yeah I never got anywhere. The Engineer text messaged me and said it was fixed when it still isn't. Unfortunately i'm at the point of giving up and threatening to sue if they dont refund me the purchase price of the MC or fix it immediately, as I've invested entirely too much time into this. Doesn't do me any good on getting signal in my office, but they obviously don't care about service (many recent changes with AT&T wireless and AT&T uverse have shown me this).

I'll try to dig through my firewall logs and pull out some IP's but they most likely will not respond to an ICMP echo request so it wouldn't do any good on that route.

BTW, i think its weird my other MC at my house doesnt reboot/loose 3G service like this one does every day. However the one at my hosue (since the update roughly a month ago) drops 75% of calls within 5 minutes. Again, they're useless to do anything about it.

Message 16 of 23 (3,865 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

If you're on a corporate network, is it possible that there could have been a change in the network that is now prohibiting the MicroCell from working? Just a thought. And for the record, I am one of folks who setup port forwarding on my router to get the MicroCell to work. I never had to do that before but after my upgrade fiasco that was the only way I could get my MicroCell to lock in and register. It's the only device connected to the LAN port on my router so it doesn't hamper my network at all. Since then, we've had two power outages and the MC bounced back and started working again in about 10 minutes. Calls are clear, no drops or delays. I think AT&T is upgrading their system nationwide and is working out whatever screwups they do when they roll to the next area or region. And obviously they don't keep support informed with current, or even accutate information.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 23 (3,859 Views)
Teacher

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3626/att-3g-microcell-a-comprehensive-exploration/4

on this site under networking the guy did packet capturing and saw that it talked to 4 different ip address.

I would get a 25-50% ping loss or 50%-75% of the time I would get "Destination net unreachable". Is this normal?

Message 18 of 23 (3,843 Views)
Teacher

I'm an admin in our IT department, I am quite sure no network or firewall changes were made recently that could've caused this.

ivioo - are the responses you get "Packet filtered"? They most likely have a firewall up.

Message 19 of 23 (3,834 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Well I had a very long, very frustrated chat on the phone with several techs and a couple supervisors. My problem is (they say) that their system now tries to continuously obtain GPS lock -  say every 12 hours (they werent sure, thats just my own observation). Where it used to only acquire GPS lock during the bootup/powercycle, now it tries continuously. They tried to argue with me for an hour that "its always been this way" - and told me i was full of { word filter evasion }  Literally.. I've been using these for a year, it most certainly has never been that way. I complained enough until they pawned me off on warranty support and are trying to replace it.. If that fails they'll have to refund me.. Or else.. lol

I hate AT&T anymore. Going to sell my stock, I'll move to Verizon.

Message 20 of 23 (3,821 Views)
ACE - Master

I don't like AT&T either but we have a very sweet legacy account that Verizon can't touch. Besides, Verizon won't be much better. When AT&T was broken up many years ago into 7 Baby Bells, the idea was to give the customer choices because competition would drive the market. We all know how that has worked out. Now we have AT&T trying to buy T-Mobile, and if that goes thru, we will be down to what, 3 choices. Sooner or later, we'll be back to one and don't think that Verizon will do whatever it takes to be number one, and that includes following AT&Ts playbook on customer support. Verizon is CDMA so there are some issues there if you like to surf and talk at the same time. Either way, we, the customer, will get screwed royally. If not now, certainly later. Pick your poison.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 23 (3,647 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Yes, well in my experience (corporate phone plans are all verizon, and ive used them a lot elsewhere), i've got better customer service from them. Heck i was trying to do online tech chat the other day on AT&T and it said all reps were busy, please try again. ?? It didnt even put me in a waiting queue. How can their reps talk to me like i'm ignorant and there be no supervisors that cared AT ALL?

To be honest though, my Microcell problems isnt my biggest problem with ATT.

Besides roaming in the wilderness and out of the US (only reason why ill probably keep ATT, however I do also have a GSM Verizon Blackberry), verizon almost always has better service, and less dropped calls. I drop calls constantly, no matter where i am or what phone i use (without the microcell).

The even bigger problem i have is their Uverse. They really screwed us Uverse customers over (I've had it for a couple years), now limiting my monthly alloted bandwidth to 250GB - AND - my 18mbps guaranteed connection is now only 12-18mbps. They really fell on that clause "we reserve the right to change your contract at anytime" there, and completely rewrote the service i signed up for. Not to mention their metering techniques are horribly flawed. I'm just glad i got grandfathered into the unlimited data on my family plan for our cell phones, hoping they dont up and kill that some day.

BTW - i had verizon FIOS and got 50mbps down and 20mbps for a little over a 100$ a month. Uverse cant even come close to that, like all other isp's they refuse to hand out upload bandwidth.

I've just been such a large supporter of them for over 15 years and own a fair amount of stock, I feel so violated and let down.

Well there's my rant completely off-topic, sorry.

I'll update when I receive the new Microcell, however I believe it will do the same thing, and I will inevitably file a BBB complaint to get my purchase price for it back (and hope someone listens). Then give up trying to compensate for their lack of network upgrades to provide adequate cell reception/service. I've concluded it would actually be easier for me to get another job somewhere else that either has cell service or is by a window; then it would to try to get ATT to do anything useful or care slightly about my problems and their recent updates that essentially bricked my MC.

Message 22 of 23 (3,633 Views)
Contributor

Having similar issues with mine. 

Installed in a basement - originally connected at least 6 months ago - maybe more - in the last month or so it needs to be rebooted every couple days. 

I have a second unit installed at anohter location - and unless they haven't noticed or reported it to me - there has been no issue there. that one is on the first floor and so less issue getting a GPS fix i suppose.

I have tried with and without prot forwarding setup - even put it in my DMZ (I have controller over all the networking devices - well, up to what the ISP requires).

The trouble did start after I did a couple of upgrades - moved up to 50 Mbps cable internet - which included a new WiFi router  and added another WiFi router on the third floor. Not sure if those devices might be interfering with the Microcell.

Part of that upgrade was to make the Motorola WiFi router from the cable compnay my primary router instead of the Airport Extreme I had been using.

So previously I had only 1 WiFi network operating - now I have 3. I did just turn down the transmit strength on the third floor router and the Extreme (used for 802.11n devices)  - in part becuase the devices kept grabbing the third floor router - which was only installed to improve coverage on the third floor - and is an older AIrport UFO. 

Really frustrating though when the microcell is the only way to get cell service where I need it and every couple days it is not working - and I have generally already missed a call by the time i notice it is not working. 

Message 23 of 23 (3,377 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.