Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2011
8:15:13 PM
View profile
srsly? In-store pre-orders are auto backordered?!

We are super excited to get our very first iPhones, I even jumped ship from T-Mo (started when they were VoiceStream) so we could take advantage of the iPhone's ability to surf & text, etc. We made the apparent mistake of going to the store as we had to port our numbers, etc. The CSR there told us it would take 14-21 days to get our order to the Seattle area, but I see many of you are getting your phones tomorrow or Saturday.  Our order status still says "in process/backordered/pending shipment".

Did they really auto push in-store orders to backorder?!!! Nothing is holding up our order, account setup is correct, numbers are ported and ready to be activated on the phones.

Bad, bad form, ATT - we are not gettingo ff on the correct foot here. 

We are super excited to get our very first iPhones, I even jumped ship from T-Mo (started when they were VoiceStream) so we could take advantage of the iPhone's ability to surf & text, etc. We made the apparent mistake of going to the store as we had to port our numbers, etc. The CSR there told us it would take 14-21 days to get our order to the Seattle area, but I see many of you are getting your phones tomorrow or Saturday.  Our order status still says "in process/backordered/pending shipment".

Did they really auto push in-store orders to backorder?!!! Nothing is holding up our order, account setup is correct, numbers are ported and ready to be activated on the phones.

Bad, bad form, ATT - we are not gettingo ff on the correct foot here. 

srsly? In-store pre-orders are auto backordered?!

32 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(32)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:17:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
same here, switched from t-mobile, purchased instore and have them backordered. I still don't understand why an in-store pre-order has to be shipped instead of holding one of the stores inventory for the people who pre order.
same here, switched from t-mobile, purchased instore and have them backordered. I still don't understand why an in-store pre-order has to be shipped instead of holding one of the stores inventory for the people who pre order.

Re: srsly? In-store pre-orders are auto backordered?!

2 of 33 (2,051 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:36:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by lylebeach on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:45:41 PM

I am in the same boat Smiley Sad

I ordered from the Issaquah ATT store and was one of the first people in the store to order at 9am on the 7th.

iPhone 4S White 64g

My order is still showing as "backordered"  Smiley Mad

I wonder if this is happening to all the people in the Pacific Northwest?

I am in the same boat Smiley Sad

I ordered from the Issaquah ATT store and was one of the first people in the store to order at 9am on the 7th.

iPhone 4S White 64g

My order is still showing as "backordered"  Smiley Mad

I wonder if this is happening to all the people in the Pacific Northwest?

[ Edited ]
3 of 33 (2,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:44:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

This is new

In 2009 we moved from Verizon to AT&T I walked into the store about a week before launch I ported the number, paid for the phones and got my receipt. On that Friday at 7 am I walked right into the store and picked up my phone while everyone else was inline. Ah the good ole days...

This is new

In 2009 we moved from Verizon to AT&T I walked into the store about a week before launch I ported the number, paid for the phones and got my receipt. On that Friday at 7 am I walked right into the store and picked up my phone while everyone else was inline. Ah the good ole days...

4 of 33 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 10:55:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

If a pick up in store option had been available, we would have taken it.  We are brand-new customers and I'm already feeling screwed. 

If a pick up in store option had been available, we would have taken it.  We are brand-new customers and I'm already feeling screwed. 

5 of 33 (1,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 11:35:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I ordered my phones on oct7 from an at&t store and they told me it was already gonna be backordered they will be delivered to the store 14-21 days from the date of order, but they will have some in stock for walk ins today the 14th. This is GREAT marketing... I mean why give the people that paid for the phones thier product, when they can use them as bait for "new" unpaid customers. Oh well, i will wait like the rest.Smiley Sad

I ordered my phones on oct7 from an at&t store and they told me it was already gonna be backordered they will be delivered to the store 14-21 days from the date of order, but they will have some in stock for walk ins today the 14th. This is GREAT marketing... I mean why give the people that paid for the phones thier product, when they can use them as bait for "new" unpaid customers. Oh well, i will wait like the rest.Smiley Sad

6 of 33 (1,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 11:52:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

We are having ours shipped to our house. This is total Bull if it's true! I am so confused, since the order status says that ALL pre-orders will be shipped on or around Thurs 10/13 but the CSR in the store told us 14-21 days. I can't believe that it's an east coast vs west coast thing unless you didn't make the 5 PM EST cut off for preorders. 

My husband isn't stressing at all b/c he wants to hold on to his old technology (read: cheap samsung clamshell phone) but this is the first time I will have had a Shiny New Apple Product (even my laptop is refurb) and I am excited to use it - and POed that it won't be here for another 2-3 weeks.  

At this point we should cancel the order for phones and walk in to the store tomorrow! Ridiculous.

We are having ours shipped to our house. This is total Bull if it's true! I am so confused, since the order status says that ALL pre-orders will be shipped on or around Thurs 10/13 but the CSR in the store told us 14-21 days. I can't believe that it's an east coast vs west coast thing unless you didn't make the 5 PM EST cut off for preorders. 

My husband isn't stressing at all b/c he wants to hold on to his old technology (read: cheap samsung clamshell phone) but this is the first time I will have had a Shiny New Apple Product (even my laptop is refurb) and I am excited to use it - and POed that it won't be here for another 2-3 weeks.  

At this point we should cancel the order for phones and walk in to the store tomorrow! Ridiculous.

7 of 33 (1,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 11:59:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

i wonder if i goto the store tomorrow and place the same exact order and when they ask for payment hand them my receipt.Smiley Wink

i wonder if i goto the store tomorrow and place the same exact order and when they ask for payment hand them my receipt.Smiley Wink

8 of 33 (1,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 12:14:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

Worth a shot if you have the time...

Worth a shot if you have the time...

9 of 33 (1,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 12:40:31 AM
(0)
Explorer

same here - in-store ordered from DC metro area on 10/7 at 1:30pm EST to upgrade 3 phones on family plan - 2 4s and 1 regular 4. got email confirmation at 3:59pm same day. getting regular 4 delivered today - 10/14, 4s's are still backordered.

couldn't order online from apple or att website since i wanted to be sure that our family plan and discounts weren't messed up. though originally told it would be est 14-21 days for delivery, was told it might be possible to get delivery on 10/14. rep said that he saw 7-14 day backorder for people that ordered earlier in the morning of 10/7. store opened at 10am. but seeing others who were told similar info but ordered online from either apple or att website, is really frustrating. knowing that they auto-backordered in-store orders is even worse.

on other thread, someone asked if anyone who ordered instore on 10/7, was getting delivery on 10/14 - no response. everyone seems to be backordered - no update status on delivery or whatever.

what happened to the business model of pre-order so that you can pickup on release date? queue starts on pre-order date and line-up begins then. seems to work for video games and other high demand items. this is a case of first-come, minimally served! been att customer for 11+ years and reps in-store are only the messengers to corporate policy.

just read article that 4s will be availabe at other retail stores on 10/14 - radio shack, sam's club, best buy and target!

checked status again - still backordered - ain't goig to happen...

same here - in-store ordered from DC metro area on 10/7 at 1:30pm EST to upgrade 3 phones on family plan - 2 4s and 1 regular 4. got email confirmation at 3:59pm same day. getting regular 4 delivered today - 10/14, 4s's are still backordered.

couldn't order online from apple or att website since i wanted to be sure that our family plan and discounts weren't messed up. though originally told it would be est 14-21 days for delivery, was told it might be possible to get delivery on 10/14. rep said that he saw 7-14 day backorder for people that ordered earlier in the morning of 10/7. store opened at 10am. but seeing others who were told similar info but ordered online from either apple or att website, is really frustrating. knowing that they auto-backordered in-store orders is even worse.

on other thread, someone asked if anyone who ordered instore on 10/7, was getting delivery on 10/14 - no response. everyone seems to be backordered - no update status on delivery or whatever.

what happened to the business model of pre-order so that you can pickup on release date? queue starts on pre-order date and line-up begins then. seems to work for video games and other high demand items. this is a case of first-come, minimally served! been att customer for 11+ years and reps in-store are only the messengers to corporate policy.

just read article that 4s will be availabe at other retail stores on 10/14 - radio shack, sam's club, best buy and target!

checked status again - still backordered - ain't goig to happen...

10 of 33 (1,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:14:55 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by browski on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:15:31 AM

supasinga wrote:

You and I both. I cancelled my preorder because there was no option for me to pick it up. I'm wasn't going to take a day off of work to wait on a cell phone. I plan to call around when I get off of work today with the hopes that someone around town has an iPhone 4s that I can remove from their inventory.

I will gladly report back, either with elation or disappointment. I think in your case I would go back to that store where you placed the order and act like a first time customer until you know whether they have any phones physically in stock, then spring your request to cancel the backordered phones for one of the phones they have their. If the store you went to is out, just call around and see if you can find one hiding.

Best of luck to you and everyone who is in a similar boat. I didn't expect the demand to be as large as it was on the 7th, so I doubt the madness will be any less today. But, hope springs eternal.

supasinga wrote:

You and I both. I cancelled my preorder because there was no option for me to pick it up. I'm wasn't going to take a day off of work to wait on a cell phone. I plan to call around when I get off of work today with the hopes that someone around town has an iPhone 4s that I can remove from their inventory.

I will gladly report back, either with elation or disappointment. I think in your case I would go back to that store where you placed the order and act like a first time customer until you know whether they have any phones physically in stock, then spring your request to cancel the backordered phones for one of the phones they have their. If the store you went to is out, just call around and see if you can find one hiding.

Best of luck to you and everyone who is in a similar boat. I didn't expect the demand to be as large as it was on the 7th, so I doubt the madness will be any less today. But, hope springs eternal.

[ Edited ]
11 of 33 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 3:09:23 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Guys, there were something like 500.000 online preorders before stores even opened. So yeah, launch day deliveries were sold out. You were given clear timeframes and a choice to either go ahead and order or try your luck in store today. You made it.

P.S. You can not go to the store to try get your iPhone with pending preorder, you already signed a 2 year contract and price in store will come up at $649/749/849.

Guys, there were something like 500.000 online preorders before stores even opened. So yeah, launch day deliveries were sold out. You were given clear timeframes and a choice to either go ahead and order or try your luck in store today. You made it.

P.S. You can not go to the store to try get your iPhone with pending preorder, you already signed a 2 year contract and price in store will come up at $649/749/849.

12 of 33 (1,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 4:11:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

Launch day deliveries are not "sold out" they are being sold to people who havent paid already.

Launch day deliveries are not "sold out" they are being sold to people who havent paid already.

13 of 33 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 5:45:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

With all the issues people have had online--including too many to count that ordered the first time it actually worked in the online store whose orders subsuquently were cancelled--I chose to go into an AT&T retail store and work with a CSR who could be certain everything was processed correctly. I went at 9:00 A.M. eastern, the moment the store opened, and pre-ordered in store as early as humanly possible. I'm now told I have to wait 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile, this EXACT SAME STORE will have many of the EXACT SAME PHONE that I've already paid for, that I will not be able to get today. Don't play the "Launch day deliveries were sold out" you sound ignorant. If they were "Sold out" there wouldn't be people waiting in line at all the stores to pick them up.

With all the issues people have had online--including too many to count that ordered the first time it actually worked in the online store whose orders subsuquently were cancelled--I chose to go into an AT&T retail store and work with a CSR who could be certain everything was processed correctly. I went at 9:00 A.M. eastern, the moment the store opened, and pre-ordered in store as early as humanly possible. I'm now told I have to wait 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile, this EXACT SAME STORE will have many of the EXACT SAME PHONE that I've already paid for, that I will not be able to get today. Don't play the "Launch day deliveries were sold out" you sound ignorant. If they were "Sold out" there wouldn't be people waiting in line at all the stores to pick them up.

14 of 33 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 5:53:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

I walked into my store this morning and walked out with a white 16GB and a black 16GB ...... it was seriously SO easy!!!! 

I walked into my store this morning and walked out with a white 16GB and a black 16GB ...... it was seriously SO easy!!!! 

15 of 33 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 6:05:49 AM
(0)
Teacher
Good story. I had the foresight to pre-order. I also have a job that doesn't offer me the opportunity to sit outside a store for an hour on a Friday morning. So I'm stuck waiting a couple weeks.
Good story. I had the foresight to pre-order. I also have a job that doesn't offer me the opportunity to sit outside a store for an hour on a Friday morning. So I'm stuck waiting a couple weeks.

16 of 33 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 8:10:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 14, 2011 at 8:25:45 AM

This is such {word filter evasion} I don't like being held hostage!

This is such {word filter evasion} I don't like being held hostage!

[ Edited ]
17 of 33 (1,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 12:50:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 15, 2011 at 1:45:11 PM

I'm also in the pacific northwest, and have the same problem (Portland, OR).  Ordered in store, shortly after they opened, got my verification email within an hour.  {please keep it courteous}, you are wrong about the online orders taking all the phones.  If you have been paying attention in this forum, many online and phone orders, made much, much later than in store purchases either have their phone already, or they are shipping today!

So no matter how you spin it, in store pre-orders are getting {word filter evasion} at the drive through. 

I'm also in the pacific northwest, and have the same problem (Portland, OR).  Ordered in store, shortly after they opened, got my verification email within an hour.  {please keep it courteous}, you are wrong about the online orders taking all the phones.  If you have been paying attention in this forum, many online and phone orders, made much, much later than in store purchases either have their phone already, or they are shipping today!

So no matter how you spin it, in store pre-orders are getting {word filter evasion} at the drive through. 

[ Edited ]
18 of 33 (978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:17:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I ended up walking into the store that I pre-ordered from and they let me cancel it and gave me my iPhone 4s right away instead of being backordered.  I think if you walk into the store that you pre-ordered at they have the ability to cancel that pre-order and let you get it right there.

thanks

I ended up walking into the store that I pre-ordered from and they let me cancel it and gave me my iPhone 4s right away instead of being backordered.  I think if you walk into the store that you pre-ordered at they have the ability to cancel that pre-order and let you get it right there.

thanks

19 of 33 (954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:19:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
My wife already tried that this morning. Went into the store at around 9:00am, was told she could not cancel and existing order, even went up the chain of command to a CS.
My wife already tried that this morning. Went into the store at around 9:00am, was told she could not cancel and existing order, even went up the chain of command to a CS.

20 of 33 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:21:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

Apparently, they 'can' cancel a preorder, but 'may not.'   That is, there's a policy in effect.

I'm guessing some stores are doing it anyway.  Lucky for their customers.

Apparently, they 'can' cancel a preorder, but 'may not.'   That is, there's a policy in effect.

I'm guessing some stores are doing it anyway.  Lucky for their customers.

21 of 33 (1,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 7:53:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

All AT&T stores in my area will not let you cancel the pre-order.

So I went to Sprint, got my iPhone. When I got my iPhone I will just return it within 14 days and good bye AT&T.

All AT&T stores in my area will not let you cancel the pre-order.

So I went to Sprint, got my iPhone. When I got my iPhone I will just return it within 14 days and good bye AT&T.

22 of 33 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 11:17:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 15, 2011 at 5:51:43 PM

That is so wrong. I got my phone delivered already, but if you if you preorder something from a brick and mortart, and that store has physical inventory, thats {word filter evasion}. They owe you that phone, not some walkin. Id be absolutly furious if I was in yalls situation. That is horrible business practice.

As someone stated, video game preorders work flawless. I think its just telco's crooked business practices being the norm.

That is so wrong. I got my phone delivered already, but if you if you preorder something from a brick and mortart, and that store has physical inventory, thats {word filter evasion}. They owe you that phone, not some walkin. Id be absolutly furious if I was in yalls situation. That is horrible business practice.

As someone stated, video game preorders work flawless. I think its just telco's crooked business practices being the norm.

[ Edited ]
23 of 33 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 12:26:53 PM
(0)
Former Employee

All you guys were supposed to be informed that preorders can not be canceled. Before I can even place an order I have to place a check mark in my system that customer accepted and agreed to this terms, including ESTIMATED shipping times. You are the ones that decided to go ahead and order them. Just wait a little bit, this phone is not even worth all the drama.

All you guys were supposed to be informed that preorders can not be canceled. Before I can even place an order I have to place a check mark in my system that customer accepted and agreed to this terms, including ESTIMATED shipping times. You are the ones that decided to go ahead and order them. Just wait a little bit, this phone is not even worth all the drama.

24 of 33 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 3:08:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

So, correct me if I am wrong, you see no issue that customers that preordered in your store have to wait for a phone while you serve walkins? Incredible....

So, correct me if I am wrong, you see no issue that customers that preordered in your store have to wait for a phone while you serve walkins? Incredible....

25 of 33 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 4:17:00 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:53:23 PM

drun_bass this isnt true my store and the ceo of att secretarys were ready to cancel my preorder for me and let me walk in store because it was saying pending order so when it says pending order you can cancel and all the people that i have ready on here that the store managers wouldnt let cancel is a bunch of {word filter evasion} because it is possible and only cuz it says pending if it said shipped or something like that then yes you woundnt beable to cancel it

drun_bass this isnt true my store and the ceo of att secretarys were ready to cancel my preorder for me and let me walk in store because it was saying pending order so when it says pending order you can cancel and all the people that i have ready on here that the store managers wouldnt let cancel is a bunch of {word filter evasion} because it is possible and only cuz it says pending if it said shipped or something like that then yes you woundnt beable to cancel it

[ Edited ]
26 of 33 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 4:24:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

For what it's worth... I was never told I could not cancel my preorder.

For what it's worth... I was never told I could not cancel my preorder.

27 of 33 (934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 6:13:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
they dont even no what there talking about. and they think there right. YOU GUYS SCREWED US AND THATS IT ! i pre ordered the phone so i can get it launch day. not 3 weeks later. and who knows if itll be 3 weeks bc everytime we ask a rep theres always a diff. time rate. 14 to 21 days then its 21-28 days. you guys had phones in ur stores and instead of giving them to the people that payd u decided since you had our money to give them to the walk in people so you guys can get more money and more sales. ATT ur a bunch of BULL
they dont even no what there talking about. and they think there right. YOU GUYS SCREWED US AND THATS IT ! i pre ordered the phone so i can get it launch day. not 3 weeks later. and who knows if itll be 3 weeks bc everytime we ask a rep theres always a diff. time rate. 14 to 21 days then its 21-28 days. you guys had phones in ur stores and instead of giving them to the people that payd u decided since you had our money to give them to the walk in people so you guys can get more money and more sales. ATT ur a bunch of BULL

28 of 33 (874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 6:55:38 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Ok guys, I admit, I can't speak for everyone, but here is what we did in our store and my understanding and expectation was that every store did the same thing. As soon as we opened for business we were already informed of longer shipping times, based on record online preorders, so every rep in my store told their customers that shipping times were 14-21 day (later that day moved up to 21-28) and that the order can not be canceled, then an other option was presented, not to preorder and come to the store on the 14th to get one then. Customers made their choices, some preordered and now waiting some left and got them on the launch day.

I'm here trying to clarify this to everybody and hopefully calm people down, instead I'm taking a lot of fire. Why bother. Meh/

Ok guys, I admit, I can't speak for everyone, but here is what we did in our store and my understanding and expectation was that every store did the same thing. As soon as we opened for business we were already informed of longer shipping times, based on record online preorders, so every rep in my store told their customers that shipping times were 14-21 day (later that day moved up to 21-28) and that the order can not be canceled, then an other option was presented, not to preorder and come to the store on the 14th to get one then. Customers made their choices, some preordered and now waiting some left and got them on the launch day.

I'm here trying to clarify this to everybody and hopefully calm people down, instead I'm taking a lot of fire. Why bother. Meh/

29 of 33 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 7:17:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

That may have been how your store operated.  It may have been how all the stores were supposed to operate.

But, apparently, it wasn't how many of the stores actually operated.

I'm not sure how explaining how it was supposed to work is supposed to make anyone feel better.  It went down they way it did, and some people are taking exception to it.

That may have been how your store operated.  It may have been how all the stores were supposed to operate.

But, apparently, it wasn't how many of the stores actually operated.

I'm not sure how explaining how it was supposed to work is supposed to make anyone feel better.  It went down they way it did, and some people are taking exception to it.

30 of 33 (828 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments