Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 19, 2011
12:14:55 PM
View profile
solution for unauthorized texting charges from companies that I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR.

Check your phone bill under "Mobile Purchases & Downloads Charges".

Have you found charges there from companies that YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR?

There is a growing number of companies that fraudulently get you signed up for services that you may unknowingly pay for each month. I first noticed a charge of $9.99 from a company called Predicto.com. It's a texting game that I did not sign up for. Looking back I had charges dating back 8 months. You can get them to stop sending you texts by texting "STOP" back to them. but in order to stop the problem before it starts read part of my post at RipoffReport.com

" I hope that anyone else having this problem can resolve it as easily as it was for me.

Now for a solution: I called AT&T, my provider and asked what could be done to stop this.

I have to say I was overwhelmed with the professionalism and satisfaction I received from "Johan" at AT&T.

He suggested I put a "purchase block" on my phone(s) so that I have to enter a PIN# to make any future purchases. This would not affect my iTunes purchases, just ones like I am complaining about.

Then he went back and removed all the unauthorized charges for me. I could have done it by calling the companies myself, but thankfully didn't have to. I didn't expect this kind of assistance from AT&T, and truly appreciate it."

There is a growing number of companies that fraudulently get you signed up for services that you may unknowingly pay for each month. I first noticed a charge of $9.99 from a company called Predicto.com. It's a texting game that I did not sign up for. Looking back I had charges dating back 8 months. You can get them to stop sending you texts by texting "STOP" back to them. but in order to stop the problem before it starts read part of my post at RipoffReport.com

" I hope that anyone else having this problem can resolve it as easily as it was for me.

Now for a solution: I called AT&T, my provider and asked what could be done to stop this.

I have to say I was overwhelmed with the professionalism and satisfaction I received from "Johan" at AT&T.

He suggested I put a "purchase block" on my phone(s) so that I have to enter a PIN# to make any future purchases. This would not affect my iTunes purchases, just ones like I am complaining about.

Then he went back and removed all the unauthorized charges for me. I could have done it by calling the companies myself, but thankfully didn't have to. I didn't expect this kind of assistance from AT&T, and truly appreciate it."

solution for unauthorized texting charges from companies that I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR.

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 12:01:07 AM
(0)
Guru

We had the same thing happen.  We added the purchasing block that the AT&T rep suggested and the charges stopped.  And everyone should check each bill carefully.  Some of those charges increase over time.  They may begin at $9.99, but they go up to $19.99 or $29.99 a month.  Such a rip-off!  AT&T removed our unintended charges, too, no problem. 

We had the same thing happen.  We added the purchasing block that the AT&T rep suggested and the charges stopped.  And everyone should check each bill carefully.  Some of those charges increase over time.  They may begin at $9.99, but they go up to $19.99 or $29.99 a month.  Such a rip-off!  AT&T removed our unintended charges, too, no problem. 

Re: solution for unauthorized texting charges from companies that I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR.

2 of 3 (752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 3:21:19 AM
(0)
Expert

Todd Module wrote:

thsi happens quite frequently - thing is you DO agree to them, buried in the pages of text that the "free ringtones", "free wallpaper", "free everything" is a notice about requiring a monthly reocurring subscription cost that by clicking on "I Accept" you agree to pay. This occurs with all carriers, it is not the carrier, it is the company that is offering "free" items.

Bottom line, remember TANSTAAFL - "There ain;t no such thing as a free lunch", read the agreement, just don;t blindly click "I accept"

Todd Module wrote:

thsi happens quite frequently - thing is you DO agree to them, buried in the pages of text that the "free ringtones", "free wallpaper", "free everything" is a notice about requiring a monthly reocurring subscription cost that by clicking on "I Accept" you agree to pay. This occurs with all carriers, it is not the carrier, it is the company that is offering "free" items.

Bottom line, remember TANSTAAFL - "There ain;t no such thing as a free lunch", read the agreement, just don;t blindly click "I accept"

Re: solution for unauthorized texting charges from companies that I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR.

3 of 3 (738 Views)