Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 27, 2009
8:16:16 PM
View profile
so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?
Edited by potna on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:21:51 PM

while i am greatfull for these boards and the help i have recieved, i have so many problems and the help around here is sometimes slow and sometimes my questions just get overlooked and the people i speak with at 611 barely understand the simple phones let alone these wm devices. 

i dont feel like i should have to hack it to just get things to work and it looks like if i was to flash a cooked rom i will be trading att desgned problems for hacker problems.

when was the last time you wanted to show off your cool htc/wm phone to a friend and it locked up or hanged during the demonstration? i dont even bother to show off my wm devices anymore..... 

i am tired of all the wm problems, i have been struggling with them since the days of the 8125 and with each new phone and os update i have had my fingers crossed hoping that "they" get it right....and they never do, or maybe its better but they add more crap and  other problems....

a bunch of my old apps arent compatible due who knows why, maybe the new os, maybe the bigger screen. i have general issues with getting online, then on top of that the built in opera sometimes wont connect with ie and skyfire will. these are  just  a few of my problems

i really dont where to turn for help, and i really just want a device that works.

basicaly i am unsatisfied, history has taught me that waiting for the problems to go away isnt going to pay off, should i exchange the phone for the exact same thing or return it and go for something else. i dont know much about the iphone but it seems to just work, should i go for one of those?

it cant be me, surely you folks here are also having issues right?

Message Edited by potna on 12-27-2009 08:21:51 PM

while i am greatfull for these boards and the help i have recieved, i have so many problems and the help around here is sometimes slow and sometimes my questions just get overlooked and the people i speak with at 611 barely understand the simple phones let alone these wm devices. 

i dont feel like i should have to hack it to just get things to work and it looks like if i was to flash a cooked rom i will be trading att desgned problems for hacker problems.

when was the last time you wanted to show off your cool htc/wm phone to a friend and it locked up or hanged during the demonstration? i dont even bother to show off my wm devices anymore..... 

i am tired of all the wm problems, i have been struggling with them since the days of the 8125 and with each new phone and os update i have had my fingers crossed hoping that "they" get it right....and they never do, or maybe its better but they add more crap and  other problems....

a bunch of my old apps arent compatible due who knows why, maybe the new os, maybe the bigger screen. i have general issues with getting online, then on top of that the built in opera sometimes wont connect with ie and skyfire will. these are  just  a few of my problems

i really dont where to turn for help, and i really just want a device that works.

basicaly i am unsatisfied, history has taught me that waiting for the problems to go away isnt going to pay off, should i exchange the phone for the exact same thing or return it and go for something else. i dont know much about the iphone but it seems to just work, should i go for one of those?

it cant be me, surely you folks here are also having issues right?

Message Edited by potna on 12-27-2009 08:21:51 PM

so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?

[ Edited ]
84 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(84)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 7:27:30 AM
(0)
Explorer

I have had my Tilt2 for a week now. I came from a Palm Centro, and have used Palm PDA’s for years. The Tilt is much bigger than my old phone, but that has not been a problem so far. I carry the phone in my shirt pocket. The size of the phone may become an issue in the summer when I’m wearing shorts and T shirts. The past few phone I have had, have had a place to connect a lanyard. When carrying the phone in my shirt pocket this always prevented the phone from falling out of my pocket. I got a clear plastic case when I bought the Tilt. The top portion of the case makes the touch screen much less sensitive, so I don’t use it. I drilled two holes through the bottom portion of the case and connect my lanyard there. So far it works well. I got the Tilt because of the keyboard. Unfortunately, I have a Bandaid on my left thumb and cannot feel the keys with it. This has meant the keyboard gets little use until my thumb heals completely. I have been pleased with the on screen keyboard. I think the layout could be improved, but it has been more usable than I had anticipated. The hard buttons at the bottom and side are small, but I use them to place and answer calls because I find the soft key for answering to be difficult. The screen is beautiful and responsive just like everyone says. Call quality has not been a problem. I get signals where I expect I would and the sound is loud enough for me.

Windows Mobile is a new experience for me, having been with Palm OS for years. There are so many programs in the phone and they are down into the menus, that it was a little overwhelming. I would figure out how to do something, then couldn’t remember how to get back to it. I purchased SPB Mobile Shell, and that has improved the navigation through the phone greatly. I am also getting used to the phone as I use it more. I really like the calendar and contacts functions in the phone. The options seem almost endless for storing information. With Palm I used the Memo function heavily. None of the note programs that came with the phone  satisfied me, so I purchased Phatnotes. I am still in the process of moving my Palm memos into Phatnotes by copy and paste. My phone is used as a pager through text messages (SMS). Sometimes I am in noisy locations and don’t here the alert letting me know I have received a SMS. The phone does not give a choice for multiple alerts. I purchased AlarmPal so that I can configure multiple alerts. This was a problem with my Palm phone before. I don’t understand why this function doesn’t come with the phone. No network resources are used to allow me to receive multiple alerts for a SMS. I cannot copy or paste SMS messages. This is a problem I am still working on. Copy and Paste functions are very important to me. The phone does not consistently do this in all programs. It would be nice to have threaded SMS on the phone. I know I can get a program to do this, but I haven’t gotten to it yet. I purchased Documents to Go so I can create and edit Excel and Word documents. The program has some limitations, but works for my needs and wasn’t expensive. The camera works about as well as a camera in a phone is to be expected to work. I use SplashID and Teal Auto because I used them on the Palm, and they work well on the Tilt. I took the advice here and tried Bing. I like it better than Google maps. I have a separate GPS device and don’t see how a phone could ever replace it. I purchased Chronos for the stop watch and timer functions. Again, I don’t see why these things don’t come with the phone.  I am not impressed with looking on the internet through the phone. The down loads are slow no matter if I use wi-fi or the 3G. This is not a problem for me. I have Google Voice. I have not been able to put in all the numbers and pauses to make outgoing calls easily, and have it work. I’ll have to dig deeper to try and figure that out. A Google Voice app would be nice.

I looked at phones for about 3 months before I bought the Tilt 2. At one point I figured I would have to get an iphone. My wife purchased an iphone about a month before I got the Tilt 2. She is not happy with the phone. Here previous phone was a Treo with Palm OS. The PDA functions of the iphone are severely lacking.

Buying a smartphone is all about compromises. The best phone for a person will involve the least amount of compromise. The Tilt 2 has meant the least amount of compromise for me. My wife likes my phone better than hers. This is how I have adapted from Palm to Windows Mobile, and my experience with the Tilt 2 to date.

David

I have had my Tilt2 for a week now. I came from a Palm Centro, and have used Palm PDA’s for years. The Tilt is much bigger than my old phone, but that has not been a problem so far. I carry the phone in my shirt pocket. The size of the phone may become an issue in the summer when I’m wearing shorts and T shirts. The past few phone I have had, have had a place to connect a lanyard. When carrying the phone in my shirt pocket this always prevented the phone from falling out of my pocket. I got a clear plastic case when I bought the Tilt. The top portion of the case makes the touch screen much less sensitive, so I don’t use it. I drilled two holes through the bottom portion of the case and connect my lanyard there. So far it works well. I got the Tilt because of the keyboard. Unfortunately, I have a Bandaid on my left thumb and cannot feel the keys with it. This has meant the keyboard gets little use until my thumb heals completely. I have been pleased with the on screen keyboard. I think the layout could be improved, but it has been more usable than I had anticipated. The hard buttons at the bottom and side are small, but I use them to place and answer calls because I find the soft key for answering to be difficult. The screen is beautiful and responsive just like everyone says. Call quality has not been a problem. I get signals where I expect I would and the sound is loud enough for me.

Windows Mobile is a new experience for me, having been with Palm OS for years. There are so many programs in the phone and they are down into the menus, that it was a little overwhelming. I would figure out how to do something, then couldn’t remember how to get back to it. I purchased SPB Mobile Shell, and that has improved the navigation through the phone greatly. I am also getting used to the phone as I use it more. I really like the calendar and contacts functions in the phone. The options seem almost endless for storing information. With Palm I used the Memo function heavily. None of the note programs that came with the phone  satisfied me, so I purchased Phatnotes. I am still in the process of moving my Palm memos into Phatnotes by copy and paste. My phone is used as a pager through text messages (SMS). Sometimes I am in noisy locations and don’t here the alert letting me know I have received a SMS. The phone does not give a choice for multiple alerts. I purchased AlarmPal so that I can configure multiple alerts. This was a problem with my Palm phone before. I don’t understand why this function doesn’t come with the phone. No network resources are used to allow me to receive multiple alerts for a SMS. I cannot copy or paste SMS messages. This is a problem I am still working on. Copy and Paste functions are very important to me. The phone does not consistently do this in all programs. It would be nice to have threaded SMS on the phone. I know I can get a program to do this, but I haven’t gotten to it yet. I purchased Documents to Go so I can create and edit Excel and Word documents. The program has some limitations, but works for my needs and wasn’t expensive. The camera works about as well as a camera in a phone is to be expected to work. I use SplashID and Teal Auto because I used them on the Palm, and they work well on the Tilt. I took the advice here and tried Bing. I like it better than Google maps. I have a separate GPS device and don’t see how a phone could ever replace it. I purchased Chronos for the stop watch and timer functions. Again, I don’t see why these things don’t come with the phone.  I am not impressed with looking on the internet through the phone. The down loads are slow no matter if I use wi-fi or the 3G. This is not a problem for me. I have Google Voice. I have not been able to put in all the numbers and pauses to make outgoing calls easily, and have it work. I’ll have to dig deeper to try and figure that out. A Google Voice app would be nice.

I looked at phones for about 3 months before I bought the Tilt 2. At one point I figured I would have to get an iphone. My wife purchased an iphone about a month before I got the Tilt 2. She is not happy with the phone. Here previous phone was a Treo with Palm OS. The PDA functions of the iphone are severely lacking.

Buying a smartphone is all about compromises. The best phone for a person will involve the least amount of compromise. The Tilt 2 has meant the least amount of compromise for me. My wife likes my phone better than hers. This is how I have adapted from Palm to Windows Mobile, and my experience with the Tilt 2 to date.

David

Re: so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?

61 of 85 (2,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 9:04:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davidchsw wrote:
I purchased Documents to Go so I can create and edit Excel and Word documents. The program has some limitations, but works for my needs and wasn’t expensive.

What's wrong with the built-in MS Office suite?

davidchsw wrote:
I purchased Documents to Go so I can create and edit Excel and Word documents. The program has some limitations, but works for my needs and wasn’t expensive.

What's wrong with the built-in MS Office suite?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

62 of 85 (2,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 10:28:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for this post as I am considering ujpdrading to a Tilt2 and I have been reading a lot about it and it seems like it gets mixed reviews. Some say it locks frequently, others say locking is a non-issue for them. I am starting to think it is one's luck of the draw with a particular phone.

My main question is... is there one place that anyone knows of, within this forum or elsewhere, that outlines all the hotfixes, updates, etc. to the Tilt2 to date. If I do purchase it, that would make my life a lot easier, rather than hitting all these issues one by one on the phone during usage. I'd rather just unbox, update as needed and be hopeful that all works well. Smiley Surprised)

Also, in my research another issue that I have heard about that is concerning is the touchscreen dialing another number while the user has it to their ear on a call or dialing while it is in one's pocket. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks for this post as I am considering ujpdrading to a Tilt2 and I have been reading a lot about it and it seems like it gets mixed reviews. Some say it locks frequently, others say locking is a non-issue for them. I am starting to think it is one's luck of the draw with a particular phone.

My main question is... is there one place that anyone knows of, within this forum or elsewhere, that outlines all the hotfixes, updates, etc. to the Tilt2 to date. If I do purchase it, that would make my life a lot easier, rather than hitting all these issues one by one on the phone during usage. I'd rather just unbox, update as needed and be hopeful that all works well. Smiley Surprised)

Also, in my research another issue that I have heard about that is concerning is the touchscreen dialing another number while the user has it to their ear on a call or dialing while it is in one's pocket. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

63 of 85 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 12:49:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've had my tilt 2 for almost 2 months now & love it.Before I had the orginal tilt & the fuze.I am very satisfied w/my tilt.There are a few things that I'm not all that happy about but nothing that can't be worked around.There are several programs that I used on my fuze & orginal tilt that for some reason aren't working on the tilt 2 that I miss using a lot.One of them is "Quick Menu" to make the menu look like what u have on ur home or laptop computer & HTC Home Customizer which I was able to install but was unable to "customize" fully.If any one knows where I can get the cab's for these programs that will work on the tilt 2 I would be greatful if u would post them.I am happy w/the ROM that came w/the phone.I see nothing wrong w/it & feel no need to go looking for a cooked ROM which are not perfect & risk bricking my phone just to take on someone elses problems as well.On thing that I really miss from my fuze is the ability to log on to yahoo,AIM,or windows live straight from the phone w/o having to go to the website to use it.I use yahoo im all of the time & really enjoyed that feature on my fuze & was very dissappointed to find that it wasn't installed the same way on the tilt 2.If any one know how I can get that put on my tilt 2 the way that it is on the fuze then  plz plz plz let me know because I'm getting tired of switching between my tilt 2 & fuze just to be able to use yahoo im easier.

I looked at getting an iphone & even used my brothers 1st generation iphone just to make sure that I wanted to get the tilt 2 & that sealed the deal for me.There are just so many things that u can't do on the iphone even the newest one w/o having to modify it that u can do out of the box w/the tilt 2 there was just no comparison.The fact that I'm able to create & edit word documents & threaded sms just to name a few.The other thing that I don't like about the iphone is that every app has to come from the istore where w/windows OS there are 1,000's of free apps that u can get from just about any where.I feel that the iphone is for people that want to have the prestiege that comes w/that phone.If u like to customize,tweek, & make something ur own then a windows os phone is for u.I love being able to customize my tilt & make it my own.I know that there isn't another phone out there that is exactally like mine because of all of the customizations I'm able to do w/this phone.

I did get rid of all of the bloatware that AT&T put on the phone which freed up a lot of space on the phone.I also like the fact that ur able to expand the memory by placing a micro sd card in the phone.I have a 4gb card in my phone & install everything possible to it & not to the phone.I do have to agree that the Windows App store is a joke.I think that they could do a lot better job & I'm hoping that they will do a better job w/it in the future.

I'm not saying that the tilt 2 isn't buggy because it can be at times.It can have a mind of its own when it wants to but it isn't all of the time or often enought to really bother me.If it gets buggy then I just turn it off & turn it back on it takes all of 5secs.Its not that big of a deal.I have had no problems web browsing.I usually use the Iris browser but I've also installed Skyfire & Opera.I will use Skyfire when I want to do games on facebook.I live in a non 3g area & also have an aircard for my laptop & have found that I'm able to browse the web faster on my phone most of the time than using my aircard.

I would & have suggested this & other HTC windows os phones to any & everyone.I think that they are wonderful phones.I will never have a "dumb" phone ever again.I think that some people might get a defective phone like I did w/my orginal tilt which I went thru 10 of them before finally getting it replaced by the fuze.All of them had the same problems.I got one fuze & had no problems what so ever.I've not had any problems w/this tilt 2 at all so far & hope that I don't.I think if u'r having alots of problems w/ur phone then u should return it for a replacement.

I've had my tilt 2 for almost 2 months now & love it.Before I had the orginal tilt & the fuze.I am very satisfied w/my tilt.There are a few things that I'm not all that happy about but nothing that can't be worked around.There are several programs that I used on my fuze & orginal tilt that for some reason aren't working on the tilt 2 that I miss using a lot.One of them is "Quick Menu" to make the menu look like what u have on ur home or laptop computer & HTC Home Customizer which I was able to install but was unable to "customize" fully.If any one knows where I can get the cab's for these programs that will work on the tilt 2 I would be greatful if u would post them.I am happy w/the ROM that came w/the phone.I see nothing wrong w/it & feel no need to go looking for a cooked ROM which are not perfect & risk bricking my phone just to take on someone elses problems as well.On thing that I really miss from my fuze is the ability to log on to yahoo,AIM,or windows live straight from the phone w/o having to go to the website to use it.I use yahoo im all of the time & really enjoyed that feature on my fuze & was very dissappointed to find that it wasn't installed the same way on the tilt 2.If any one know how I can get that put on my tilt 2 the way that it is on the fuze then  plz plz plz let me know because I'm getting tired of switching between my tilt 2 & fuze just to be able to use yahoo im easier.

I looked at getting an iphone & even used my brothers 1st generation iphone just to make sure that I wanted to get the tilt 2 & that sealed the deal for me.There are just so many things that u can't do on the iphone even the newest one w/o having to modify it that u can do out of the box w/the tilt 2 there was just no comparison.The fact that I'm able to create & edit word documents & threaded sms just to name a few.The other thing that I don't like about the iphone is that every app has to come from the istore where w/windows OS there are 1,000's of free apps that u can get from just about any where.I feel that the iphone is for people that want to have the prestiege that comes w/that phone.If u like to customize,tweek, & make something ur own then a windows os phone is for u.I love being able to customize my tilt & make it my own.I know that there isn't another phone out there that is exactally like mine because of all of the customizations I'm able to do w/this phone.

I did get rid of all of the bloatware that AT&T put on the phone which freed up a lot of space on the phone.I also like the fact that ur able to expand the memory by placing a micro sd card in the phone.I have a 4gb card in my phone & install everything possible to it & not to the phone.I do have to agree that the Windows App store is a joke.I think that they could do a lot better job & I'm hoping that they will do a better job w/it in the future.

I'm not saying that the tilt 2 isn't buggy because it can be at times.It can have a mind of its own when it wants to but it isn't all of the time or often enought to really bother me.If it gets buggy then I just turn it off & turn it back on it takes all of 5secs.Its not that big of a deal.I have had no problems web browsing.I usually use the Iris browser but I've also installed Skyfire & Opera.I will use Skyfire when I want to do games on facebook.I live in a non 3g area & also have an aircard for my laptop & have found that I'm able to browse the web faster on my phone most of the time than using my aircard.

I would & have suggested this & other HTC windows os phones to any & everyone.I think that they are wonderful phones.I will never have a "dumb" phone ever again.I think that some people might get a defective phone like I did w/my orginal tilt which I went thru 10 of them before finally getting it replaced by the fuze.All of them had the same problems.I got one fuze & had no problems what so ever.I've not had any problems w/this tilt 2 at all so far & hope that I don't.I think if u'r having alots of problems w/ur phone then u should return it for a replacement.

64 of 85 (2,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 1:42:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bklyngrrl5 wrote:

Thanks!

Where did you hear about the touchscreen while on the phone issue?  Its impossible (far as I know) for this to happen with the Tilt2.  There is a proximity sensor on the front of the phone that automatically turns the screen off when the phone is near your ear.  And this feature works perfectly for me.  You might be thinking about the Pure, which does not have the proximity sensor.  I've seen a post on here that touching the screen while on the phone with the Pure may be an issue.  But not so with the Tilt2.

I've only pocket dialed once with the Tilt2.  And that's because I don't use the lock screen.  You can lock it (very quick, just touch Start>Lock), which gives you an iPhone like "slide to unlock" type screen to prevent pocket dialing.  Or you can protect with a PIN for more protection.

The first 2 posts of the following thread on XDA is an extremely handy compliation of many of the useful tweaks and tips for the Tilt2 (AKA Rhodium AKA Touch Pro 2).  more thorough reading of the thread will yield more info.  And XDA is an invaluable resource.  Borwsing the forum there will yield even more info.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524655

bklyngrrl5 wrote:

Thanks!

Where did you hear about the touchscreen while on the phone issue?  Its impossible (far as I know) for this to happen with the Tilt2.  There is a proximity sensor on the front of the phone that automatically turns the screen off when the phone is near your ear.  And this feature works perfectly for me.  You might be thinking about the Pure, which does not have the proximity sensor.  I've seen a post on here that touching the screen while on the phone with the Pure may be an issue.  But not so with the Tilt2.

I've only pocket dialed once with the Tilt2.  And that's because I don't use the lock screen.  You can lock it (very quick, just touch Start>Lock), which gives you an iPhone like "slide to unlock" type screen to prevent pocket dialing.  Or you can protect with a PIN for more protection.

The first 2 posts of the following thread on XDA is an extremely handy compliation of many of the useful tweaks and tips for the Tilt2 (AKA Rhodium AKA Touch Pro 2).  more thorough reading of the thread will yield more info.  And XDA is an invaluable resource.  Borwsing the forum there will yield even more info.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524655

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

65 of 85 (2,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 4:42:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks! I will definitely check out the link.

I read it on one of Amazon's user reviews for the phone.

Thanks! I will definitely check out the link.

I read it on one of Amazon's user reviews for the phone.

66 of 85 (2,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 5:24:06 AM
(0)
Explorer

I couldn't edit and save an office document with the program that came with the phone.

David

I couldn't edit and save an office document with the program that came with the phone.

David

67 of 85 (2,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 7:49:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

firemedic,

the cab for instant messaging can be found on xda if you do a search for instant messaging in the rhodium section.  i rarely use instant messaging but needed to the other day.  i assumed that it was on the phone and after some digging in menus found out that it was not.

i googled and googled but found no real answers.  then i went to xda and someone had already made a cab of the instant messaging program from the fuze.  it works great.

as always, ymmv.

firemedic,

the cab for instant messaging can be found on xda if you do a search for instant messaging in the rhodium section.  i rarely use instant messaging but needed to the other day.  i assumed that it was on the phone and after some digging in menus found out that it was not.

i googled and googled but found no real answers.  then i went to xda and someone had already made a cab of the instant messaging program from the fuze.  it works great.

as always, ymmv.

68 of 85 (2,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 7:54:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

davidchsw wrote:

David

odd. i do it all of the time.

are you using really old office files?  what version of office do you use on your pc's?  i use a combination of 2007 and the beta for office 2010.

davidchsw wrote:

David

odd. i do it all of the time.

are you using really old office files?  what version of office do you use on your pc's?  i use a combination of 2007 and the beta for office 2010.

69 of 85 (2,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 10:40:37 AM
(0)
Explorer

Office 2003

David

Office 2003

David

70 of 85 (2,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 3:04:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 3, 2010 at 7:27:21 PM

not satisfied one bit.  i had the first  tilt and it ran faster.  The internet was faster.  Programs loading didn't lag.  Everything i attempt to do with this phone it either locks up or takes forever to open.  but hey the screen looks better so i guess it is a win win in att's mind.   Att forces us to use  wm 6.5 i will be leaving att as soon as my contract is over because of this phone.  All three lines.  I travel and use this phone for business this phone has cost me money on top of the egregious price that they charged for it.  Yes I Have switched back to my last phone.  [Edited Per Guidelines: No Solicitation]

not satisfied one bit.  i had the first  tilt and it ran faster.  The internet was faster.  Programs loading didn't lag.  Everything i attempt to do with this phone it either locks up or takes forever to open.  but hey the screen looks better so i guess it is a win win in att's mind.   Att forces us to use  wm 6.5 i will be leaving att as soon as my contract is over because of this phone.  All three lines.  I travel and use this phone for business this phone has cost me money on top of the egregious price that they charged for it.  Yes I Have switched back to my last phone.  [Edited Per Guidelines: No Solicitation]

[ Edited ]
71 of 85 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:20:37 PM
(0)
Scholar
so here it is 8 months uor so since i got this phone, so i thought i'd come back to my old thread and share some thoughts.i love this phone. although it was rough in the obeginning with all the problems and what not. it has paid off for me. one thing i learned is that there are just going to be things that dont work, or wont work sometimes and you have to draw the line somewhere. i'll list some of the things i have given up on that i think should work.<br>transcriber<br>block reconizer<br>logmein for pie<br>network browsing is painfuly slow<br>sometimes screen wont rotate when it should<br>sometimes i have to click on something several times to get it to be selected<br>power button is in bad place-but there is great fix for this<br>slow web browsing<br>albums app can be glitchy<br>camera app can be glitchy<br>most of my old games would @work<br>my bluetooth kb isnt supported by 6.5<br>simply typing this on my tilt 2is proving to be difficult, infact for some reason opera and my phone aren't getting along this very moment and its going to make me cut this short<br><br>I had a list of good thinngs to say but using this swype is not near as easy to actually use compared to the kb.<br>I still love this phone, but how ironic.
so here it is 8 months uor so since i got this phone, so i thought i'd come back to my old thread and share some thoughts.i love this phone. although it was rough in the obeginning with all the problems and what not. it has paid off for me. one thing i learned is that there are just going to be things that dont work, or wont work sometimes and you have to draw the line somewhere. i'll list some of the things i have given up on that i think should work.<br>transcriber<br>block reconizer<br>logmein for pie<br>network browsing is painfuly slow<br>sometimes screen wont rotate when it should<br>sometimes i have to click on something several times to get it to be selected<br>power button is in bad place-but there is great fix for this<br>slow web browsing<br>albums app can be glitchy<br>camera app can be glitchy<br>most of my old games would @work<br>my bluetooth kb isnt supported by 6.5<br>simply typing this on my tilt 2is proving to be difficult, infact for some reason opera and my phone aren't getting along this very moment and its going to make me cut this short<br><br>I had a list of good thinngs to say but using this swype is not near as easy to actually use compared to the kb.<br>I still love this phone, but how ironic.

72 of 85 (1,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 6:39:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:41:21 AM

Many people comment web browsing is "slow" on the Tilt2, but give no basis of comparision or rationale for that statement.  I've compared my Tilt2 (using Opera) on several different occassions to my wife's iPhone 3GS (which many claim is "faster").  For the same geographic location/same tower, same web pages, the speed of loading the web pages is nearly identical.  The iPhone is faster re-rendering if you zoom or scroll.  But the actual loading of pages is essentially the same in my non-scientific testing.

People seem to have a high variation in their browsing experience on the Tilt2.  I will agree that inconsistancy is a matter for complaint.  But the web browsing experience on my phone is not significantly different from any other smartphone.

Many people comment web browsing is "slow" on the Tilt2, but give no basis of comparision or rationale for that statement.  I've compared my Tilt2 (using Opera) on several different occassions to my wife's iPhone 3GS (which many claim is "faster").  For the same geographic location/same tower, same web pages, the speed of loading the web pages is nearly identical.  The iPhone is faster re-rendering if you zoom or scroll.  But the actual loading of pages is essentially the same in my non-scientific testing.

People seem to have a high variation in their browsing experience on the Tilt2.  I will agree that inconsistancy is a matter for complaint.  But the web browsing experience on my phone is not significantly different from any other smartphone.

[ Edited ]
73 of 85 (1,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 5:18:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

davidchsw wrote:
I have not been able to put in all the numbers and pauses to make outgoing calls easily, and have it work. I’ll have to dig deeper to try and figure that out.

David

Outlook does that function beautifully. I have all my work numbers with pauses and extensions added, so that when using Voice Command, I never have to dial anything when driving.

The numbers are added in Outlook like this: "1(800) 629-1530 p1253", where the "p" is the pause before the phone dials the extension number. If I need a longer pause, I add an extra "p" like "1(800) 629-1530 pp1253". The Voice Command in Windows Mobile 6.5 is near flawless now. The older versions were often frustrating.

Best regards, Barbara

davidchsw wrote:
I have not been able to put in all the numbers and pauses to make outgoing calls easily, and have it work. I’ll have to dig deeper to try and figure that out.

David

Outlook does that function beautifully. I have all my work numbers with pauses and extensions added, so that when using Voice Command, I never have to dial anything when driving.

The numbers are added in Outlook like this: "1(800) 629-1530 p1253", where the "p" is the pause before the phone dials the extension number. If I need a longer pause, I add an extra "p" like "1(800) 629-1530 pp1253". The Voice Command in Windows Mobile 6.5 is near flawless now. The older versions were often frustrating.

Best regards, Barbara

74 of 85 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 5:22:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

I LOVE this phone!!! I rely on it heavily for all kinds of productivity! The only thing ...I mean the ONLY thing I've been somewhat disappointed in is the lack of a really easy to use RDC app. I have played with friend's iPhones and the only thing that they have that I don't that I wish I had is the multi-touch Remote Desktop Control app. I'm hoping that the next Tilt has something comparable.

Thanks for this informative thread.

Best regards, Barbara

I LOVE this phone!!! I rely on it heavily for all kinds of productivity! The only thing ...I mean the ONLY thing I've been somewhat disappointed in is the lack of a really easy to use RDC app. I have played with friend's iPhones and the only thing that they have that I don't that I wish I had is the multi-touch Remote Desktop Control app. I'm hoping that the next Tilt has something comparable.

Thanks for this informative thread.

Best regards, Barbara

75 of 85 (1,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 2:30:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have rarely had my Tilt 2 lock up. I do try to reboot it about once a week. I run some SPB apps on it, such as SPB Mobile Shell and SPB Time, both of which I love. I ran older version of them on my Tilt 1 too.

The Tilt 2 display turns off if you hold the phone up to your ear during a call, so it won't automatically dial if your ear touches the screen. Also, there is a lock widget that I've placed on my Today screen. No butt dialing when it's locked. Smiley Very Happy

I haven't updated anything on the phone in the last year since I got it other than to add the custom apps I've become accustomed to using since I got my first Tilt; I replaced my Tilt 1 with the Tilt 2 in August of 2009.

Some ways I use it besides as a phone: Google Maps and Bing Navigator, texting and emailing, browsing Internet using IE or Opera, Outlook (Heavily rely on my Outlook for calendar and contact's notes), Voice Command dialing and Outlook lookup, wmIRC chatting, Skype, MSN IM, Scrabble, tethering to my laptop for Internet Sharing, alarm clock and timer (using custom alarms available in SPB Time), weather app (Using SPB Weather and the built-in weather app), photographs, music playing, Facebook, MySpace, and calculator.

Best regards, Barbara

I have rarely had my Tilt 2 lock up. I do try to reboot it about once a week. I run some SPB apps on it, such as SPB Mobile Shell and SPB Time, both of which I love. I ran older version of them on my Tilt 1 too.

The Tilt 2 display turns off if you hold the phone up to your ear during a call, so it won't automatically dial if your ear touches the screen. Also, there is a lock widget that I've placed on my Today screen. No butt dialing when it's locked. Smiley Very Happy

I haven't updated anything on the phone in the last year since I got it other than to add the custom apps I've become accustomed to using since I got my first Tilt; I replaced my Tilt 1 with the Tilt 2 in August of 2009.

Some ways I use it besides as a phone: Google Maps and Bing Navigator, texting and emailing, browsing Internet using IE or Opera, Outlook (Heavily rely on my Outlook for calendar and contact's notes), Voice Command dialing and Outlook lookup, wmIRC chatting, Skype, MSN IM, Scrabble, tethering to my laptop for Internet Sharing, alarm clock and timer (using custom alarms available in SPB Time), weather app (Using SPB Weather and the built-in weather app), photographs, music playing, Facebook, MySpace, and calculator.

Best regards, Barbara

76 of 85 (1,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 9:15:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm glad some users are happy with their Tilt2. Makes me wonder when there are such large differences between user experiences. We must keep in mind that the Tilt2 was released months after it came out on other carriers. That and the old processor, low ram and lack of software support made it a short term device. 

I've had it with mine. I've swapped it out three times now, so am on my fourth! All were the same. I've not rooted, for fear of killing my warranty. Yet it seems that rooting is one of the few means of getting this to work reliably. I did make some changes to remove the ATT crap ware. 

The last few months has also been extremely bad. I'm fearing that a hard reset is the only thing that will fix my issues. It's slow, doesn't play notification sounds all the time (often mms arrive with no sound or vibration, and at time not even a blinking light!). The web browser is useless, and I've tried them all. Every page seems to forever to load, than forever to scroll around the page (I have to wait forever for the page to draw each section). 

These and the extremely slow processing speed, etc, etc......really wish they would release a decent phone. The only thing I will say in its defense is the keyboard which has been great with my fat fingers, but aside from that, a total fail.....

I'm glad some users are happy with their Tilt2. Makes me wonder when there are such large differences between user experiences. We must keep in mind that the Tilt2 was released months after it came out on other carriers. That and the old processor, low ram and lack of software support made it a short term device. 

I've had it with mine. I've swapped it out three times now, so am on my fourth! All were the same. I've not rooted, for fear of killing my warranty. Yet it seems that rooting is one of the few means of getting this to work reliably. I did make some changes to remove the ATT crap ware. 

The last few months has also been extremely bad. I'm fearing that a hard reset is the only thing that will fix my issues. It's slow, doesn't play notification sounds all the time (often mms arrive with no sound or vibration, and at time not even a blinking light!). The web browser is useless, and I've tried them all. Every page seems to forever to load, than forever to scroll around the page (I have to wait forever for the page to draw each section). 

These and the extremely slow processing speed, etc, etc......really wish they would release a decent phone. The only thing I will say in its defense is the keyboard which has been great with my fat fingers, but aside from that, a total fail.....

77 of 85 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 10:22:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I agree there seems to be a big difference in performance and bugs from one Tilt2 to the next.  I've had mine since launch, and never had a problem that required a replacement.  There definitely seems to be inconsistancy in quality control.  I've never missed a notification, and loading of pages in Opera is fast.  Re-rendering of web pages while scrolling is a bit slow in Opera, but the downloading of the data itself is fine.

WM phones aren't "rooted" in the same way as Android phones.  You only need to HardSPL if you intend to flash a custom ROM, and you can always flash the stock ROM and re-SPL in order to return to factory condition.

A new official ROM should be available soon from ATT.  Its already been leaked on XDA, and users seem very pleased with it (faster, more stable, low memory usage).  There is still bloat, but that's expected.   You might enjoy this better than the old stock ROM, and it won't require HardSPL to flash.

I agree there seems to be a big difference in performance and bugs from one Tilt2 to the next.  I've had mine since launch, and never had a problem that required a replacement.  There definitely seems to be inconsistancy in quality control.  I've never missed a notification, and loading of pages in Opera is fast.  Re-rendering of web pages while scrolling is a bit slow in Opera, but the downloading of the data itself is fine.

WM phones aren't "rooted" in the same way as Android phones.  You only need to HardSPL if you intend to flash a custom ROM, and you can always flash the stock ROM and re-SPL in order to return to factory condition.

A new official ROM should be available soon from ATT.  Its already been leaked on XDA, and users seem very pleased with it (faster, more stable, low memory usage).  There is still bloat, but that's expected.   You might enjoy this better than the old stock ROM, and it won't require HardSPL to flash.

78 of 85 (1,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 12:28:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree, I could 'reflash' the device before returning. But would you agree that I shouldn't have to bother flashing with a rom that works better, faster, without too much blotware? Really, anyone who purchases a device should expect it to work properly from day one. Especially the Tilt2. It was old when it came to ATT. 

I'm surprised they are bothering to release a new rom. I've been asking about it for months now, with no info at all from management. Why bother? I wish they could have done something about 5 months ago when I heard there was a few upgrades to either the HTC or MW side of things......

I agree, I could 'reflash' the device before returning. But would you agree that I shouldn't have to bother flashing with a rom that works better, faster, without too much blotware? Really, anyone who purchases a device should expect it to work properly from day one. Especially the Tilt2. It was old when it came to ATT. 

I'm surprised they are bothering to release a new rom. I've been asking about it for months now, with no info at all from management. Why bother? I wish they could have done something about 5 months ago when I heard there was a few upgrades to either the HTC or MW side of things......

79 of 85 (1,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 5:47:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Not everyone swithes/upgrades phones that often.  Some people have just bought the Tilt2 relatively recently, and will be using the phone for a year or more, so a ROM upgrade can be useful and welcome to a good amount of people.  Besides, HTC is not the only phone manufacturer which releases software updates.  Apple is constantly updating the iPhone OS in order to add functions which have been included in WM for years. 

Yes, I agree ATT failed on this device by bloating the original ROM and slowing it down.  Just based on comments here and elsewhere (like XDA) the Tilt2 ROM was much more laggy and bloated than the Touch Pro2 on other carriers.

And yes, the device should work out of the box.  As to why some of us put up with the phone despite its shortcomings:  It goes back to your previous question, about why there is such a large difference in user experiences with the Tilt2.  Much of it has to do with your expectations.  For me, I am willing to put up with some tweaking of the phone (and enjoy it, actually) in order to have a device with lots of functionality and customization.  I knew what WM was about before I bought the Tilt2, based on owning a previous WM phone.  And I still chose the Tilt2 over other options. 

Not everyone swithes/upgrades phones that often.  Some people have just bought the Tilt2 relatively recently, and will be using the phone for a year or more, so a ROM upgrade can be useful and welcome to a good amount of people.  Besides, HTC is not the only phone manufacturer which releases software updates.  Apple is constantly updating the iPhone OS in order to add functions which have been included in WM for years. 

Yes, I agree ATT failed on this device by bloating the original ROM and slowing it down.  Just based on comments here and elsewhere (like XDA) the Tilt2 ROM was much more laggy and bloated than the Touch Pro2 on other carriers.

And yes, the device should work out of the box.  As to why some of us put up with the phone despite its shortcomings:  It goes back to your previous question, about why there is such a large difference in user experiences with the Tilt2.  Much of it has to do with your expectations.  For me, I am willing to put up with some tweaking of the phone (and enjoy it, actually) in order to have a device with lots of functionality and customization.  I knew what WM was about before I bought the Tilt2, based on owning a previous WM phone.  And I still chose the Tilt2 over other options. 

80 of 85 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 10:23:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

i compared the internet speed to the original tilt, the i phone 3g, iphone 3gs, blackberry storm and a few others.  it is the slowest phone oput of the bunch.  actually the original tilt was the fastest.  didn't compare by the numbers on the box.  they were all side by side.  tilt2 was obviously slowest.

i compared the internet speed to the original tilt, the i phone 3g, iphone 3gs, blackberry storm and a few others.  it is the slowest phone oput of the bunch.  actually the original tilt was the fastest.  didn't compare by the numbers on the box.  they were all side by side.  tilt2 was obviously slowest.

81 of 85 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 11:49:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've been "forced" to add tweaks just to get the device working where it should be. Before the processor was always around 75-80-%, now it's 40%. Have also been able to remove most of the blotware. Sadly I'll have to go through all this again (an intensive process) since I've noticed an update available. Really, I should't have to spend time with these issues. I love the idea of WM6.5 and before for customization (and WM7 seems the be a crappy children's phone in comparison). I would much rather spend time in enjoying the device.

I've been "forced" to add tweaks just to get the device working where it should be. Before the processor was always around 75-80-%, now it's 40%. Have also been able to remove most of the blotware. Sadly I'll have to go through all this again (an intensive process) since I've noticed an update available. Really, I should't have to spend time with these issues. I love the idea of WM6.5 and before for customization (and WM7 seems the be a crappy children's phone in comparison). I would much rather spend time in enjoying the device.

82 of 85 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 12:19:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

diagoro wrote:
Before the processor was always around 75-80-%, now it's 40%. Have also been able to remove most of the blotware. Sadly I'll have to go through all this again (an intensive process) since I've noticed an update available.

I think you're talking about program memory usage, not processor.  From what I've read about the "leaked" official ATT ROM, the memory usage is quite good without tweaking.  Of course, removing the bloatware will get you back lots of storage memory.  Crudscraper at XDA is reported to work on the new ROM, just like on the old.

diagoro wrote:
Before the processor was always around 75-80-%, now it's 40%. Have also been able to remove most of the blotware. Sadly I'll have to go through all this again (an intensive process) since I've noticed an update available.

I think you're talking about program memory usage, not processor.  From what I've read about the "leaked" official ATT ROM, the memory usage is quite good without tweaking.  Of course, removing the bloatware will get you back lots of storage memory.  Crudscraper at XDA is reported to work on the new ROM, just like on the old.

83 of 85 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 12:39:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

My only issue has been the speakers for the speakerphone or music playback, I'm on my 4th phone (or 3rd Remanned) because the speakers have given out. I thought about cooking my Rom right after I purchased it but am glad I waited, as soon as the warranty runs out I will cook it though. As far as the speakers go I haven't been overly playing music files to get the result I'm getting which is why I'm taken back by how easily they go out. Been when AT&T keeps sending me refurbished replacements I will probably never get a corrected phone for this issue, if they even bother to fix it. The last phone they sent me had a scratched screen and I started to gripe about it but thought it will only be a couple of months so why bother, I was right.

My only issue has been the speakers for the speakerphone or music playback, I'm on my 4th phone (or 3rd Remanned) because the speakers have given out. I thought about cooking my Rom right after I purchased it but am glad I waited, as soon as the warranty runs out I will cook it though. As far as the speakers go I haven't been overly playing music files to get the result I'm getting which is why I'm taken back by how easily they go out. Been when AT&T keeps sending me refurbished replacements I will probably never get a corrected phone for this issue, if they even bother to fix it. The last phone they sent me had a scratched screen and I started to gripe about it but thought it will only be a couple of months so why bother, I was right.

84 of 85 (752 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 12:49:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You mean "flashing a custom/new ROM".   The "cook" is the person who creates the custom ROM.

More importantly, a phone that has been flashed with a custom ROM can have a stock ROM flashed, and re-SPL to return to factory condition for warranty purposes.

You mean "flashing a custom/new ROM".   The "cook" is the person who creates the custom ROM.

More importantly, a phone that has been flashed with a custom ROM can have a stock ROM flashed, and re-SPL to return to factory condition for warranty purposes.

85 of 85 (748 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments