Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 27, 2009
8:16:16 PM
View profile
so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?
Edited by potna on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:21:51 PM

while i am greatfull for these boards and the help i have recieved, i have so many problems and the help around here is sometimes slow and sometimes my questions just get overlooked and the people i speak with at 611 barely understand the simple phones let alone these wm devices. 

i dont feel like i should have to hack it to just get things to work and it looks like if i was to flash a cooked rom i will be trading att desgned problems for hacker problems.

when was the last time you wanted to show off your cool htc/wm phone to a friend and it locked up or hanged during the demonstration? i dont even bother to show off my wm devices anymore..... 

i am tired of all the wm problems, i have been struggling with them since the days of the 8125 and with each new phone and os update i have had my fingers crossed hoping that "they" get it right....and they never do, or maybe its better but they add more crap and  other problems....

a bunch of my old apps arent compatible due who knows why, maybe the new os, maybe the bigger screen. i have general issues with getting online, then on top of that the built in opera sometimes wont connect with ie and skyfire will. these are  just  a few of my problems

i really dont where to turn for help, and i really just want a device that works.

basicaly i am unsatisfied, history has taught me that waiting for the problems to go away isnt going to pay off, should i exchange the phone for the exact same thing or return it and go for something else. i dont know much about the iphone but it seems to just work, should i go for one of those?

it cant be me, surely you folks here are also having issues right?

Message Edited by potna on 12-27-2009 08:21:51 PM

while i am greatfull for these boards and the help i have recieved, i have so many problems and the help around here is sometimes slow and sometimes my questions just get overlooked and the people i speak with at 611 barely understand the simple phones let alone these wm devices. 

i dont feel like i should have to hack it to just get things to work and it looks like if i was to flash a cooked rom i will be trading att desgned problems for hacker problems.

when was the last time you wanted to show off your cool htc/wm phone to a friend and it locked up or hanged during the demonstration? i dont even bother to show off my wm devices anymore..... 

i am tired of all the wm problems, i have been struggling with them since the days of the 8125 and with each new phone and os update i have had my fingers crossed hoping that "they" get it right....and they never do, or maybe its better but they add more crap and  other problems....

a bunch of my old apps arent compatible due who knows why, maybe the new os, maybe the bigger screen. i have general issues with getting online, then on top of that the built in opera sometimes wont connect with ie and skyfire will. these are  just  a few of my problems

i really dont where to turn for help, and i really just want a device that works.

basicaly i am unsatisfied, history has taught me that waiting for the problems to go away isnt going to pay off, should i exchange the phone for the exact same thing or return it and go for something else. i dont know much about the iphone but it seems to just work, should i go for one of those?

it cant be me, surely you folks here are also having issues right?

Message Edited by potna on 12-27-2009 08:21:51 PM

so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?

[ Edited ]
84 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(84)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 3:57:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree that the iPhone has its weaknesses; that's why I don't have one.

As for tethering... Well, I can do that with my Tilt 2, but it's dog-slow thanks to the phone's apparently crippled data speeds.

As for tethering... Well, I can do that with my Tilt 2, but it's dog-slow thanks to the phone's apparently crippled data speeds.

Re: so how many of you new tilt 2 owners are satisfied with your device?

31 of 85 (3,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 7:16:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

Are you using BT (which will be slower) or a direct cable connection?

I haven't seen anything about the phone itself (mine, anyway) crippling data speeds, though some parts of AT&T's network are obviously overloaded.  Some believe they are getting better speeds through the phone with registry tweaks.

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

Are you using BT (which will be slower) or a direct cable connection?

I haven't seen anything about the phone itself (mine, anyway) crippling data speeds, though some parts of AT&T's network are obviously overloaded.  Some believe they are getting better speeds through the phone with registry tweaks.

32 of 85 (3,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 11:59:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by gammite on Jan 3, 2010 at 12:00:55 AM

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

The Tile 2 is a nice phone, but neither the hardware nor the software could be described as cutting-edge.

The iPhone most certainly was cutting-edge when it came out. By "cutting-edge" I mean that it did things other phones didn't do (or did them in a way that other phones didn't). That's why it became so popular, and that's why it's the phone other companies are trying to emulate.

there was nothing and i mean nothing that an iphone did feature wise that an 8525 or a first gen tilt couldn't do.  especially a 2g iphone.  the iphone had a better user interface and that was it.  and better is subjective.  i am quite familiar with winmo so the ease of use of an iphone interface was not a selling point for me.

there was nothing cutting about the iphone.  many phones did what an iphone did before it was introduced.  the only cutting edge part was the marketing.  many of the 'advanced' features of the phone were introduced to people that didn't know phones could do such things.  but even an 8125 could do what a 2g iphone could do.  and in some cases more.  (mms, copy and paste, etc....)

Message Edited by gammite on 01-03-2010 12:00:55 AM

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

The Tile 2 is a nice phone, but neither the hardware nor the software could be described as cutting-edge.

The iPhone most certainly was cutting-edge when it came out. By "cutting-edge" I mean that it did things other phones didn't do (or did them in a way that other phones didn't). That's why it became so popular, and that's why it's the phone other companies are trying to emulate.

there was nothing and i mean nothing that an iphone did feature wise that an 8525 or a first gen tilt couldn't do.  especially a 2g iphone.  the iphone had a better user interface and that was it.  and better is subjective.  i am quite familiar with winmo so the ease of use of an iphone interface was not a selling point for me.

there was nothing cutting about the iphone.  many phones did what an iphone did before it was introduced.  the only cutting edge part was the marketing.  many of the 'advanced' features of the phone were introduced to people that didn't know phones could do such things.  but even an 8125 could do what a 2g iphone could do.  and in some cases more.  (mms, copy and paste, etc....)

Message Edited by gammite on 01-03-2010 12:00:55 AM

[ Edited ]
33 of 85 (3,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 12:03:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

did you take a look at the registry tweaks i posted earlier in this thread?  i get great speeds on my tilt 2 tethered or not.  i average between 1.5-2 megs down.

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

did you take a look at the registry tweaks i posted earlier in this thread?  i get great speeds on my tilt 2 tethered or not.  i average between 1.5-2 megs down.

34 of 85 (3,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 5:21:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

gammite wrote:

The iPhone presented an application marketplace that quickly excelled beyond anything any other phone was providing, its physical design caused it to stand out from its peers, and its user interface (including the multitouch screen, which neither the Tilt nor Tilt 2 has) is most certainly easier to use than WinMo (even with TouchFLO). It may not be your phone of choice--it's not mine, either--but it clearly offered something that millions of users were looking for.

Go up to the average Joe on the street and has him if he has heard of an HTC Tilt 2. The odds are good he hasn't. But ask if he has heard of an iPhone, and you'll almost certainly get an affirmative response. While the iPhone isn't best for everyone (including me), its popularity isn't a random event.

gammite wrote:

The iPhone presented an application marketplace that quickly excelled beyond anything any other phone was providing, its physical design caused it to stand out from its peers, and its user interface (including the multitouch screen, which neither the Tilt nor Tilt 2 has) is most certainly easier to use than WinMo (even with TouchFLO). It may not be your phone of choice--it's not mine, either--but it clearly offered something that millions of users were looking for.

Go up to the average Joe on the street and has him if he has heard of an HTC Tilt 2. The odds are good he hasn't. But ask if he has heard of an iPhone, and you'll almost certainly get an affirmative response. While the iPhone isn't best for everyone (including me), its popularity isn't a random event.

35 of 85 (3,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 5:26:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

gammite wrote:

I did implement those, but I haven't been back in a 3G area to test them. It looks like those tweaks haven't worked for everyone, although to be fair they could be implementing them incorrectly. I find it strange that we should have to tweak our phones at all to get them working at full-speed. Also, on our EDGE network I find the iPhone to be much faster surfing the web (a couple of co-workers have them, and browsing the web is virtually always a better experience on their phones than mine).

Also, I've found my phone to be quite slow even over WiFi. I've seen reports online from others experiencing the same thing.

gammite wrote:

I did implement those, but I haven't been back in a 3G area to test them. It looks like those tweaks haven't worked for everyone, although to be fair they could be implementing them incorrectly. I find it strange that we should have to tweak our phones at all to get them working at full-speed. Also, on our EDGE network I find the iPhone to be much faster surfing the web (a couple of co-workers have them, and browsing the web is virtually always a better experience on their phones than mine).

Also, I've found my phone to be quite slow even over WiFi. I've seen reports online from others experiencing the same thing.

36 of 85 (3,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 8:00:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

My wife just got an iPhone 3Gs just before the holidays.  I was curious about the "faster" browsing speed that everyone keeps pointing out.  Frankly, I don't get it. I compared the two in both the Chicago and Boston 3G markets while travelling for the holidays.  Now, it was pretty unscientific, and casual comparison.  I didn't start them at the exact same time to see which would finish first, and I didn't have a stopwatch.  But I just counted the seconds to myself while downloading the same webpage (non-WAP) at the same location, one briefly after the other.  There was little, if any discernible difference. 

This is using the built-in Opera browser, and the 3G "fix" not applied (still totally skeptical that it does anything at all).  I also think its interesting that some Tilt2 owners say that IE is faster than Opera.  IE runs snail slow on my Tilt2, to the point that its practically unusable.  The browsing experience on Opera is pretty pleasurable.

Perhaps there are some individual differences or glitches on the Tilt 2 (which really shouldn't exist in a polished product).  But my impression, that the browsing speed on the Tilt 2 running properly does not appear to be significantly slower than on the iPhone.  At least not "much" slower as some people say.

Now I've played with my friends iPhones from time to time, for a while now.  But its different now that my wife has one, and I can fool around with it almost whenever I want (unless she is playing Scrabble,lol).  After having the Tilt2 for a while, and reading all the comments about the slow browsing, I was prepared to be blown away by Safari.  It hasn't happened. The re-rendering when you zoom in and out is indeed faster and smoother.  But I'm still curious about the actual data connection difference, if there is any.  I'll have to do some more scientific side-by-side comparisons.

My wife just got an iPhone 3Gs just before the holidays.  I was curious about the "faster" browsing speed that everyone keeps pointing out.  Frankly, I don't get it. I compared the two in both the Chicago and Boston 3G markets while travelling for the holidays.  Now, it was pretty unscientific, and casual comparison.  I didn't start them at the exact same time to see which would finish first, and I didn't have a stopwatch.  But I just counted the seconds to myself while downloading the same webpage (non-WAP) at the same location, one briefly after the other.  There was little, if any discernible difference. 

This is using the built-in Opera browser, and the 3G "fix" not applied (still totally skeptical that it does anything at all).  I also think its interesting that some Tilt2 owners say that IE is faster than Opera.  IE runs snail slow on my Tilt2, to the point that its practically unusable.  The browsing experience on Opera is pretty pleasurable.

Perhaps there are some individual differences or glitches on the Tilt 2 (which really shouldn't exist in a polished product).  But my impression, that the browsing speed on the Tilt 2 running properly does not appear to be significantly slower than on the iPhone.  At least not "much" slower as some people say.

Now I've played with my friends iPhones from time to time, for a while now.  But its different now that my wife has one, and I can fool around with it almost whenever I want (unless she is playing Scrabble,lol).  After having the Tilt2 for a while, and reading all the comments about the slow browsing, I was prepared to be blown away by Safari.  It hasn't happened. The re-rendering when you zoom in and out is indeed faster and smoother.  But I'm still curious about the actual data connection difference, if there is any.  I'll have to do some more scientific side-by-side comparisons.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

37 of 85 (3,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 8:02:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK.. I've read how some of you have tweaked your registery and your memory.  I'm bascially a novice at that.  Will I like the phone (right out of the packaging) without having all the knowledge that all of you have? 

I was debating between the Fuze (a small store in my area still has it) and the Tilt 2. I like both because they have an FM radio, but the Fuze has a camera flash and navigation keys. But, the Tilt 2 has Windows Mobile 6.5 installed. I have read several articles stating that an upgrade can/cannot be applied to Windows Mobile 6.1.

At one pont,

I was  interested in the Droid ERIS(as I am a Verizon customer) but I want a slide out keyboard and radio. I'm willing to switch to AT&T for those features.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

OK.. I've read how some of you have tweaked your registery and your memory.  I'm bascially a novice at that.  Will I like the phone (right out of the packaging) without having all the knowledge that all of you have? 

I was debating between the Fuze (a small store in my area still has it) and the Tilt 2. I like both because they have an FM radio, but the Fuze has a camera flash and navigation keys. But, the Tilt 2 has Windows Mobile 6.5 installed. I have read several articles stating that an upgrade can/cannot be applied to Windows Mobile 6.1.

At one pont,

I was  interested in the Droid ERIS(as I am a Verizon customer) but I want a slide out keyboard and radio. I'm willing to switch to AT&T for those features.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

38 of 85 (3,317 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 9:22:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:25:44 AM

I've done a fair amount of registry tweaks to my Tilt2.  But I'd say the majority of them are just to tweak the phone the way I like it, not mandatory performance adjustments.  And that option of tweaking is one of the reasons WHY I bought a Windows Mobile phone, as opposed to the less customizable, closed-platform iPhone.

That said, the amount of customization and tweaking at your disposal may be intimidating, and not for everyone.  Some people like to be told how there phone is going to work and look, right out of the box, and never mess with it.  If that is the case with you, than Windows Mobile might not be the right platform.

I would also caution against switching carriers based solely on a device.   Pick your carrier based on the reception in your area (ask friends, etc. if you haven't already).  It looks like you are in Brooklyn based on your nickname, and I've read ATT data service is aweful in NYC.  There was a moritorium on selling iPhones in NYC over Christmas weekend.  And some rumors were claiming ATT was afraid of burdening their already struggling data network in NYC with a flood of new iPhones.  A friend used Sprint in NYC, and had good service.  But then she moved to Boston, and it was terrible (didn't even have cell service at her house).

I've had the Tilt2 since October, and have the following observations:

Screen is big and gorgeous.  Touchscreen is very responsive.  Hardware keyboard is big and feels great, very easy to type on.

Camera is an improvement over the old Tilt, and I'm pretty happy with it (for a phone).  Many have complained that the megapixels are the same, and therefore not an upgrade.  But the image quality and clarity are much better.  Low-light photos are much better than the iPhone can handle.  I personally hate the look of photos taken with a small camera equpped with a flash (overexposes and washes out the subject, background looks too dark), so I doubt a cell phone with a flash would be to my liking.

Speakerphone is awesome.  Probably the best you will find on a cell phone.  The ability to conference multiple callers, plus the feature of automatically switching to speakerphone when you lay the phone on its face (including hardware mute button!) is awesome if you find yourself using your phone frequently for work calls, etc. (like I do).

I've already commented on the browsing speed in the post above.  Browsing is fast and pleasurable.  Zoom bar is comparable to the "pinch/pull" mechanic on the iPhone, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on that feature.

Built-in music player works well, and music sounds great.  mp4 video is supported out of the box.  Other formats (AVI) require 3rd party software.  And playback quality is sometimes an issue with high-res content.  Haven't tried my videos on the iPhone yet.  But AVIs on the Tilt2 using CorePlayer took lots of tweaking, and framerate is still not great.

Lack of 3.5mm headphone jack is still annoying.  I know this topic has been beaten to death on HTC phones.  And some people maintain the adapter is no big deal.  But I've been on business trips where I forgot my adapter, and I was out of luck.  Or maybe you will be in a friends car, and you want to hook up your phone to his stereo via the Audio In jack, and you can't because you don't carry an adapter around with you everywhere you go.

WM can still be a bit glitchy.  WM6.5 is a big improvement over past versions, IMO.  Many menus are finger friendly, and utilize the touch screen in useful, iPhone-like ways.  But the phone can still lag or freeze at times.  I need to reboot my phone maybe a couple times a week due to it freezing up, or otherwise acting strangely.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-05-2010 09:25:44 AM

I've done a fair amount of registry tweaks to my Tilt2.  But I'd say the majority of them are just to tweak the phone the way I like it, not mandatory performance adjustments.  And that option of tweaking is one of the reasons WHY I bought a Windows Mobile phone, as opposed to the less customizable, closed-platform iPhone.

That said, the amount of customization and tweaking at your disposal may be intimidating, and not for everyone.  Some people like to be told how there phone is going to work and look, right out of the box, and never mess with it.  If that is the case with you, than Windows Mobile might not be the right platform.

I would also caution against switching carriers based solely on a device.   Pick your carrier based on the reception in your area (ask friends, etc. if you haven't already).  It looks like you are in Brooklyn based on your nickname, and I've read ATT data service is aweful in NYC.  There was a moritorium on selling iPhones in NYC over Christmas weekend.  And some rumors were claiming ATT was afraid of burdening their already struggling data network in NYC with a flood of new iPhones.  A friend used Sprint in NYC, and had good service.  But then she moved to Boston, and it was terrible (didn't even have cell service at her house).

I've had the Tilt2 since October, and have the following observations:

Screen is big and gorgeous.  Touchscreen is very responsive.  Hardware keyboard is big and feels great, very easy to type on.

Camera is an improvement over the old Tilt, and I'm pretty happy with it (for a phone).  Many have complained that the megapixels are the same, and therefore not an upgrade.  But the image quality and clarity are much better.  Low-light photos are much better than the iPhone can handle.  I personally hate the look of photos taken with a small camera equpped with a flash (overexposes and washes out the subject, background looks too dark), so I doubt a cell phone with a flash would be to my liking.

Speakerphone is awesome.  Probably the best you will find on a cell phone.  The ability to conference multiple callers, plus the feature of automatically switching to speakerphone when you lay the phone on its face (including hardware mute button!) is awesome if you find yourself using your phone frequently for work calls, etc. (like I do).

I've already commented on the browsing speed in the post above.  Browsing is fast and pleasurable.  Zoom bar is comparable to the "pinch/pull" mechanic on the iPhone, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on that feature.

Built-in music player works well, and music sounds great.  mp4 video is supported out of the box.  Other formats (AVI) require 3rd party software.  And playback quality is sometimes an issue with high-res content.  Haven't tried my videos on the iPhone yet.  But AVIs on the Tilt2 using CorePlayer took lots of tweaking, and framerate is still not great.

Lack of 3.5mm headphone jack is still annoying.  I know this topic has been beaten to death on HTC phones.  And some people maintain the adapter is no big deal.  But I've been on business trips where I forgot my adapter, and I was out of luck.  Or maybe you will be in a friends car, and you want to hook up your phone to his stereo via the Audio In jack, and you can't because you don't carry an adapter around with you everywhere you go.

WM can still be a bit glitchy.  WM6.5 is a big improvement over past versions, IMO.  Many menus are finger friendly, and utilize the touch screen in useful, iPhone-like ways.  But the phone can still lag or freeze at times.  I need to reboot my phone maybe a couple times a week due to it freezing up, or otherwise acting strangely.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-05-2010 09:25:44 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
39 of 85 (3,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 1:18:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Redpoint73.

Yes, I am from Brooklyn, Friends of mine (who live in NYC and Boston) do have AT&T wireless and hardly experience any service problems. One friend does have an iPhone and every now and then experiences some delayed loading of Web site.

I will consider your points.  I have looked at phones sold by Verizon, and I still would prefer the features found in the Tilt 2. I also like the fact that AT&T offers the "rollover minutes" whereas Verizon does not.  

I agree the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack can be annoying.

Thanks Redpoint73.

Yes, I am from Brooklyn, Friends of mine (who live in NYC and Boston) do have AT&T wireless and hardly experience any service problems. One friend does have an iPhone and every now and then experiences some delayed loading of Web site.

I will consider your points.  I have looked at phones sold by Verizon, and I still would prefer the features found in the Tilt 2. I also like the fact that AT&T offers the "rollover minutes" whereas Verizon does not.  

I agree the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack can be annoying.

40 of 85 (3,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 8:25:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by dwmitchell61 on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:48:57 PM

I don't own a Tilt, yet.

I do have a Motorola Q9h Global.

I find closing apps from the Task Manager keps the phone working smoothly.

BUT - What really made my phone stable was buying a cheap application from Active Kitten called Chronos. It is a clock/alarm software and allows me to set up highly configurable alarms, as many as I want.

WAIT - Don't shut me out just yet. Hear me out. Chronos also has functions for the alarms you can automate. Mine puts the phone in "Flight Mode" at 10:00PM and turns off flight mode at 6:05AM just after the alarm wakes me at 6:00AM.

THEN, I have an alarm ste in it for 6:10AM and it performs a "Soft Reset" automatically. Since I have that automated I have not had any lockup issues from WinMo6.1 like you folks are complaining about.

My opinion of the Chronos software is tops!

Might try it out and see if the automated soft reset works under WinMo6.5 and cures your issues...

Oh, and let me know if it does!  I am considering a Tilt2 for my next business phone.

Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-05-2010 08:48:57 PM

I don't own a Tilt, yet.

I do have a Motorola Q9h Global.

I find closing apps from the Task Manager keps the phone working smoothly.

BUT - What really made my phone stable was buying a cheap application from Active Kitten called Chronos. It is a clock/alarm software and allows me to set up highly configurable alarms, as many as I want.

WAIT - Don't shut me out just yet. Hear me out. Chronos also has functions for the alarms you can automate. Mine puts the phone in "Flight Mode" at 10:00PM and turns off flight mode at 6:05AM just after the alarm wakes me at 6:00AM.

THEN, I have an alarm ste in it for 6:10AM and it performs a "Soft Reset" automatically. Since I have that automated I have not had any lockup issues from WinMo6.1 like you folks are complaining about.

My opinion of the Chronos software is tops!

Might try it out and see if the automated soft reset works under WinMo6.5 and cures your issues...

Oh, and let me know if it does!  I am considering a Tilt2 for my next business phone.

Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-05-2010 08:48:57 PM

[ Edited ]
41 of 85 (2,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 3:16:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

Very clever solution! Kudos to you.

But is is the kind of kludgy fix that drives me absolutely nuts. You shouldn't have to jump through such hoops to keep your phone working smoothly.

Very clever solution! Kudos to you.

But is is the kind of kludgy fix that drives me absolutely nuts. You shouldn't have to jump through such hoops to keep your phone working smoothly.

42 of 85 (2,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 3:47:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:53:08 PM

Okay, whatever... I bought it for the unlimited number of highly programmable alarms. I just found that the soft reset in the morning all automated with "fire and forget" wasn't all that kludgy, myself.

I have alarms for my break times when I am at work, separate alarms programmed for the one day a week I commute in, alarm for when I get off shift and for lunch break (since I used to work late into the lunch hour without the notification).

If you feel manual rebooting and removing & replacing the battery is less kludgy, stick with it.

(No unauthorized solicitation per guidelines)

Man Happy

Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-06-2010 03:48:22 PM
Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-06-2010 03:48:58 PM
Message Edited by pamelaz on 01-06-2010 06:53:08 PM

Okay, whatever... I bought it for the unlimited number of highly programmable alarms. I just found that the soft reset in the morning all automated with "fire and forget" wasn't all that kludgy, myself.

I have alarms for my break times when I am at work, separate alarms programmed for the one day a week I commute in, alarm for when I get off shift and for lunch break (since I used to work late into the lunch hour without the notification).

If you feel manual rebooting and removing & replacing the battery is less kludgy, stick with it.

(No unauthorized solicitation per guidelines)

Man Happy

Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-06-2010 03:48:22 PM
Message Edited by dwmitchell61 on 01-06-2010 03:48:58 PM
Message Edited by pamelaz on 01-06-2010 06:53:08 PM

[ Edited ]
43 of 85 (2,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 4:23:36 PM
(0)
Scholar
I think your method is great. My point is just that it's asinine for our phones to require such tricks in order to work like they should.
I think your method is great. My point is just that it's asinine for our phones to require such tricks in order to work like they should.

44 of 85 (2,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 7:13:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Smartphones need tweaking. Sometimes you get a lemon. 

I have a friend who has a Driod.  He has lots of software problems with it.  More important, it drops calls.  The iphone and Blackberries seem a little more stable, maybe because the hardware isn't contracted out to numerous companies.  But I know some iphone users who have had problems.  I know someone else who returned her palm pre because she didn't have the patience to learn to make a call.  Now the new Google phone is the new superphone - but I don't see much difference between it and my tilt 2. 

Basically, smartphones are at the level that computers were fifteen years ago.  They will get faster, more user friendly, and more stable.  None of them are there yet.  80% of cell phone users don't have smartphones, and they can do messaging and make phone calls (70% of what my phone does) as well as my phone can.

Smartphones need tweaking. Sometimes you get a lemon. 

I have a friend who has a Driod.  He has lots of software problems with it.  More important, it drops calls.  The iphone and Blackberries seem a little more stable, maybe because the hardware isn't contracted out to numerous companies.  But I know some iphone users who have had problems.  I know someone else who returned her palm pre because she didn't have the patience to learn to make a call.  Now the new Google phone is the new superphone - but I don't see much difference between it and my tilt 2. 

Basically, smartphones are at the level that computers were fifteen years ago.  They will get faster, more user friendly, and more stable.  None of them are there yet.  80% of cell phone users don't have smartphones, and they can do messaging and make phone calls (70% of what my phone does) as well as my phone can.

45 of 85 (2,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 7:41:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just purchase Tilt2 to replace Tilt1 which was dropped into a bucket of mopwater....

I AM 200% SATISFIED..... even with the trickery required.... I was only semi-satisfied with the WinMo6.1 OS  (reminded me of Win95)

WinMo6.5 works much better IMHO, and the phone design itself is so much improved....

I think people need to realize that these phones are the equivalent of the Win95/98 PCs back in the day....

they are going to require some TLC until the technologies advance

i'm happySmiley Very Happy

I just purchase Tilt2 to replace Tilt1 which was dropped into a bucket of mopwater....

I AM 200% SATISFIED..... even with the trickery required.... I was only semi-satisfied with the WinMo6.1 OS  (reminded me of Win95)

WinMo6.5 works much better IMHO, and the phone design itself is so much improved....

I think people need to realize that these phones are the equivalent of the Win95/98 PCs back in the day....

they are going to require some TLC until the technologies advance

i'm happySmiley Very Happy

46 of 85 (2,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 9:03:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

I will have to say I am satisfied with my Tilt 2.  Hardware-wise, it's almost the perfect phone for me.  I wish the screen was about 2-3cm larger; I would like something along the size of the Advantage myself.  And the lack of a hardware navigation device annoys me.  They could have added a cm and put a trackball or something at the bottom.

Software-wise, I've been flashing cooked ROMs since the days of my 8125.  I was running a 6.5.1 Manilla 2.1 ROM on my Tilt and the stock Tilt 2 ROM was underwhelming to me.  It didn't take long to find a suitable cooked ROM for my Tilt 2.

I was where you are before I bit the bullet and started flashing cooked ROMs.  There are a LOT of folks that are dissatisfied with the stock ROMs and have pretty good ideas of what needs to be in a good ROM.  It will take some time and frustration but in the long-run I think it will be worth it.

If you don't want to go down that route you might want to look at an iPhone or Android...

I will have to say I am satisfied with my Tilt 2.  Hardware-wise, it's almost the perfect phone for me.  I wish the screen was about 2-3cm larger; I would like something along the size of the Advantage myself.  And the lack of a hardware navigation device annoys me.  They could have added a cm and put a trackball or something at the bottom.

Software-wise, I've been flashing cooked ROMs since the days of my 8125.  I was running a 6.5.1 Manilla 2.1 ROM on my Tilt and the stock Tilt 2 ROM was underwhelming to me.  It didn't take long to find a suitable cooked ROM for my Tilt 2.

I was where you are before I bit the bullet and started flashing cooked ROMs.  There are a LOT of folks that are dissatisfied with the stock ROMs and have pretty good ideas of what needs to be in a good ROM.  It will take some time and frustration but in the long-run I think it will be worth it.

If you don't want to go down that route you might want to look at an iPhone or Android...

47 of 85 (2,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 10:02:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm kind of upset/disappointed.  I had intentions of purchasing this phone.  But alas, I'm intimidated after reading about the cooked ROMS, and most of that related talk. As I stated, I'm a kind of novice.  I'm afraid if I try and tweak the phone I'll do more harm than good.

I just wish that I could use it right out of the box with perhaps a bit of tweaking.

I'm kind of upset/disappointed.  I had intentions of purchasing this phone.  But alas, I'm intimidated after reading about the cooked ROMS, and most of that related talk. As I stated, I'm a kind of novice.  I'm afraid if I try and tweak the phone I'll do more harm than good.

I just wish that I could use it right out of the box with perhaps a bit of tweaking.

48 of 85 (2,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 11:29:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

BrooklynGal wrote:

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that cooked ROMs are a necessity with this device.  TheTilt 2 works great out of the box.  If you are familiar with Windows Mobile you will love this phone as-is.

I bought my wife a Tilt 2 and she's an extreme novice with PDA phones.  She didn't like it that much and took it back and got a Blackberry Bold and she absolutely loves it.

BrooklynGal wrote:

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that cooked ROMs are a necessity with this device.  TheTilt 2 works great out of the box.  If you are familiar with Windows Mobile you will love this phone as-is.

I bought my wife a Tilt 2 and she's an extreme novice with PDA phones.  She didn't like it that much and took it back and got a Blackberry Bold and she absolutely loves it.

49 of 85 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 12:22:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Ameiurus.  I may just give it try. 

Thanks Ameiurus.  I may just give it try. 

50 of 85 (2,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 7:56:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

after reading everyone elses post it really makes me annoyed that with the price we paid for this phone you would expect the best.. now i can buy a 8 gig iphone for 99 bucks which gives better performance in pretty much every thing. i think the hardware is great on my tilt2. But what screws this phone over is Windows Mobile. i tried to hang in there and see 6.5  since they couldnt get 7 out fast enough.. and you can tell that they put no thought into this os.. its just to "hold us over" you would think Microsoft would be on top of their game. but they are letting Apple, RIM and now Google steal what used to be Microsofts spotlight. Im really dissapointed in my Tilt2.  While we are on the subject.. the Market place for the windows phone sucks.. its patechic to the competition.. there are NO apps. and the best part is they advertise that you can get facebook on your phone.. the facebook app for windows mobile is the worst compared to BB and Iphone..

if i dont see a big windows mobile update soon ill be joining the iphoners.

after reading everyone elses post it really makes me annoyed that with the price we paid for this phone you would expect the best.. now i can buy a 8 gig iphone for 99 bucks which gives better performance in pretty much every thing. i think the hardware is great on my tilt2. But what screws this phone over is Windows Mobile. i tried to hang in there and see 6.5  since they couldnt get 7 out fast enough.. and you can tell that they put no thought into this os.. its just to "hold us over" you would think Microsoft would be on top of their game. but they are letting Apple, RIM and now Google steal what used to be Microsofts spotlight. Im really dissapointed in my Tilt2.  While we are on the subject.. the Market place for the windows phone sucks.. its patechic to the competition.. there are NO apps. and the best part is they advertise that you can get facebook on your phone.. the facebook app for windows mobile is the worst compared to BB and Iphone..

if i dont see a big windows mobile update soon ill be joining the iphoners.

51 of 85 (2,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 8:18:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

BrooklynGal wrote:

I'm running the stock ATT ROM.  The community is divided.  Some claim better performance from cooked ROMs.  Others have stuck to stock, stating instability of the cooked ROMs.  Its up to you.  But the stock ROM is perfectly usable, IMO.  Those that don't like the stock ROM are just expecting more, and they are certainly free to do so.  Its a matter of opinion. 

I've mentioned to you before, most the tweaks I've applied are not performance related.  Just customization.  

Even if you want to tweak performance, its almost impossible to break your phone by just tweaking it (flashing a new ROM is a different story).  There are programs which allow you to change settings in a easily used interface.  Or you can use a registry editor to manually tweak the OS registry (preferably with "proven" edits that you obtained from others).  In either case, if you change a setting, and it does more harm, then good, you can just change it back.  To break the phone, you'd really have to do something silly.  Like messing with registly values without knowing what they are for, or deleting a registry value altogether. Even if you completely botch the phone with tweaks, you can hard reset the phone to return to factory settings.

BrooklynGal wrote:

I'm running the stock ATT ROM.  The community is divided.  Some claim better performance from cooked ROMs.  Others have stuck to stock, stating instability of the cooked ROMs.  Its up to you.  But the stock ROM is perfectly usable, IMO.  Those that don't like the stock ROM are just expecting more, and they are certainly free to do so.  Its a matter of opinion. 

I've mentioned to you before, most the tweaks I've applied are not performance related.  Just customization.  

Even if you want to tweak performance, its almost impossible to break your phone by just tweaking it (flashing a new ROM is a different story).  There are programs which allow you to change settings in a easily used interface.  Or you can use a registry editor to manually tweak the OS registry (preferably with "proven" edits that you obtained from others).  In either case, if you change a setting, and it does more harm, then good, you can just change it back.  To break the phone, you'd really have to do something silly.  Like messing with registly values without knowing what they are for, or deleting a registry value altogether. Even if you completely botch the phone with tweaks, you can hard reset the phone to return to factory settings.

52 of 85 (2,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 8:49:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

newbie......

cwizardtx - was google maps already loaded as an app?  If so, where did you find it?  If not, where did you get?  Thanks

newbie......

cwizardtx - was google maps already loaded as an app?  If so, where did you find it?  If not, where did you get?  Thanks

53 of 85 (2,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 9:03:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dacarpenter wrote:

newbie......

http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/index_.html

Download the CAB (bottom of the page under "Windows - Download Binary") on your home computer, and transfer to the phone via Active Sync or on the MicroSD card.   For some reason, the website has trouble correctly identifying the phone browser, and thinks the phone is not compatible, when it is (will not let you download direct to phone).

dacarpenter wrote:

newbie......

http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/index_.html

Download the CAB (bottom of the page under "Windows - Download Binary") on your home computer, and transfer to the phone via Active Sync or on the MicroSD card.   For some reason, the website has trouble correctly identifying the phone browser, and thinks the phone is not compatible, when it is (will not let you download direct to phone).

54 of 85 (2,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 9:37:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
got it downloaded and synced to phone (I think), but cannot find the cab app on my phone to install.  Where do I look?  Thanks and remember newbie so appreciate the patience
got it downloaded and synced to phone (I think), but cannot find the cab app on my phone to install.  Where do I look?  Thanks and remember newbie so appreciate the patience

55 of 85 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 9:43:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:45:05 AM

If you don't remember copying and pasting the CAB to a specific location, then it wasn't moved to your phone. 

While your phone is hooked up via Active Sync:  On XP, go to "My Computer" click on "Mobile Device", and pick a location (such as My Documents, Storage Card, etc.) to move the CAB to.  You should see a progess bar on the screen, indicating progress of the file being moved over.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-14-2010 09:45:05 AM

If you don't remember copying and pasting the CAB to a specific location, then it wasn't moved to your phone. 

While your phone is hooked up via Active Sync:  On XP, go to "My Computer" click on "Mobile Device", and pick a location (such as My Documents, Storage Card, etc.) to move the CAB to.  You should see a progess bar on the screen, indicating progress of the file being moved over.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-14-2010 09:45:05 AM

[ Edited ]
56 of 85 (2,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 9:46:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

PERFECT!!  Up and running.  Thank you!!!

PERFECT!!  Up and running.  Thank you!!!

57 of 85 (2,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 9:59:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No problem.  Happy to help.

BTW, I've actually found that MS Bing Mobile has some benefits which Google Maps does not.  The most important of which, is updating driving directions according to your GPS location. I still use Google Maps from time to time (can sometimes find things which Bing cannot).  But Otherwise, I use Bing more often.

http://www.discoverbing.com/mobile/devices/windows-phone.html

No problem.  Happy to help.

BTW, I've actually found that MS Bing Mobile has some benefits which Google Maps does not.  The most important of which, is updating driving directions according to your GPS location. I still use Google Maps from time to time (can sometimes find things which Bing cannot).  But Otherwise, I use Bing more often.

http://www.discoverbing.com/mobile/devices/windows-phone.html

58 of 85 (2,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 10:46:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
Have had my Tilt 2 for a few days now ( came from an iPhone 3GS ) and so far am really liking it.  A little different to navigate than iPhone but much more customizable.
Have had my Tilt 2 for a few days now ( came from an iPhone 3GS ) and so far am really liking it.  A little different to navigate than iPhone but much more customizable.

59 of 85 (2,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2010 8:25:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the referral to Bing.  Yes I like it a bit better as well.  And seems to run a bit faster.
Thanks for the referral to Bing.  Yes I like it a bit better as well.  And seems to run a bit faster.

60 of 85 (2,135 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments