Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 6, 2010
9:23:15 AM
smt personal
what the heck is smt personal? it showed up as a charge on my bill and ive never seen it before
what the heck is smt personal? it showed up as a charge on my bill and ive never seen it before

smt personal

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 10:44:42 AM
(0)
Master

Without seeing your bill and how its listed/what section in the bill I would just guess its a DirectBill charge from a third-party provider.  Have you signed up for any services perhaps via text messaging (have to be careful who you reply to)?

You can check for DirectBill charges here:

http://www.att.com/db/

If it is you can request a refund if its somethign you didn't order.  I would also highly recommend calling ATT and have them place a purchase blocker on your lines to prevent these types of charges.

If its not a DirectBill then you will need to call ATT and have them explain it. 

Without seeing your bill and how its listed/what section in the bill I would just guess its a DirectBill charge from a third-party provider.  Have you signed up for any services perhaps via text messaging (have to be careful who you reply to)?

You can check for DirectBill charges here:

http://www.att.com/db/

If it is you can request a refund if its somethign you didn't order.  I would also highly recommend calling ATT and have them place a purchase blocker on your lines to prevent these types of charges.

If its not a DirectBill then you will need to call ATT and have them explain it. 

Re: smt personal

2 of 13 (9,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 1:12:31 PM
(0)
Explorer
What kind of phone are you using and how much is the charge? If you are using a smartphone then smt personal is the data plan that at&t now requires on all smartphones purchased after September 6 2009.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
What kind of phone are you using and how much is the charge? If you are using a smartphone then smt personal is the data plan that at&t now requires on all smartphones purchased after September 6 2009.

3 of 13 (9,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 2:46:13 PM
(0)
Guru
it sounds like it might be your data plan charge if you are using a smart phone, is it for $30 because that would be your data.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
it sounds like it might be your data plan charge if you are using a smart phone, is it for $30 because that would be your data.

4 of 13 (9,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 3:26:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
bogus. another additional charge with out telling. at&t is begining to suck. i think at this rate the liquid will be the only chance at&t will keep my business. i already pay for unlimited text media and internet then they tack this on? not cool man. not cool
bogus. another additional charge with out telling. at&t is begining to suck. i think at this rate the liquid will be the only chance at&t will keep my business. i already pay for unlimited text media and internet then they tack this on? not cool man. not cool

5 of 13 (9,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 4:45:36 PM
(0)
Professor
smt personal is the data plan, its 30.00 right?, it used to be called pda personal until they data plan requirement came out, and then they changed the name of the feature.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
smt personal is the data plan, its 30.00 right?, it used to be called pda personal until they data plan requirement came out, and then they changed the name of the feature.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (9,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 6:45:50 PM
(0)
Expert

jokersall wrote:

It's not bogus. It's a name change. And it's not an additional charge if you were using the correct data plan for your phone in the first place.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/serviceDetails.jsp?LOSGId=&skuId=sku1160047&...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

jokersall wrote:

It's not bogus. It's a name change. And it's not an additional charge if you were using the correct data plan for your phone in the first place.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/serviceDetails.jsp?LOSGId=&skuId=sku1160047&catId=cat1510009

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

7 of 13 (9,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 9:14:16 PM
(0)
Guru

MrKroppcircles wrote:

actually they add the name, now they have iphone data, blackberry data, pda data(phones running symbian) and smartphone data(phones running windows mobile.

MrKroppcircles wrote:

actually they add the name, now they have iphone data, blackberry data, pda data(phones running symbian) and smartphone data(phones running windows mobile.

8 of 13 (9,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 9:19:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
so what im understanding is drop my unlimited crap for the the smartphone data plan seeing as how they are essentially the same thing?
so what im understanding is drop my unlimited crap for the the smartphone data plan seeing as how they are essentially the same thing?

9 of 13 (9,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 9:29:52 PM
(0)
Master

Scholar Yoshi wrote:

ATT lists the Smartphone Personal plan for Windows Mobile and Symbian phones on their Personal site.  Where are you seeing/showing the PDA data for Symbian devices? The only remnants of the old PDA plan I can find anymore is on the Business site.

Scholar Yoshi wrote:

ATT lists the Smartphone Personal plan for Windows Mobile and Symbian phones on their Personal site.  Where are you seeing/showing the PDA data for Symbian devices? The only remnants of the old PDA plan I can find anymore is on the Business site.

10 of 13 (9,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 9:35:24 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:36:55 PM

jokersall wrote:

Yes you can do that.  If you were being billed for 2 data plans at the same time you can call ATT and have them remove the charges for the other one and keep the Smartphone Personal plan.

Just curious, what unlimited plan were you on before it was added?

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 2010-01-06 10:36:55 PM

jokersall wrote:

Yes you can do that.  If you were being billed for 2 data plans at the same time you can call ATT and have them remove the charges for the other one and keep the Smartphone Personal plan.

Just curious, what unlimited plan were you on before it was added?

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 2010-01-06 10:36:55 PM

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (6,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 9:55:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

when i first signed up i got the unlimited text plan, the unlimited multimedia plan, and the unlimited internet plan.

now i have that and the smt personal

when i first signed up i got the unlimited text plan, the unlimited multimedia plan, and the unlimited internet plan.

now i have that and the smt personal

12 of 13 (6,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 10:07:57 PM
(0)
Master

Those aren't real plan names you just listed so its hard to tell.  If you were on a regular MEdiaNet unlimited type plan than that can be why ATT changed the plan as those are not authorized to be used with Smartphones like the LG Incite you have listed in your profile.

Also not sure if you had a bundle plan (where the unlimited internet and messaging) were in the same plan.  If there were seperate plans that you pay for you will be fine.  However if it was a bundled plan then you will lose the messaging.  The Smartphone data plan is only data.  It does not include messaging.  You have to pay for a seperate messaging plan with it.

Those aren't real plan names you just listed so its hard to tell.  If you were on a regular MEdiaNet unlimited type plan than that can be why ATT changed the plan as those are not authorized to be used with Smartphones like the LG Incite you have listed in your profile.

Also not sure if you had a bundle plan (where the unlimited internet and messaging) were in the same plan.  If there were seperate plans that you pay for you will be fine.  However if it was a bundled plan then you will lose the messaging.  The Smartphone data plan is only data.  It does not include messaging.  You have to pay for a seperate messaging plan with it.

13 of 13 (6,839 Views)