Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 18, 2009
11:08:17 PM
View profile
smartphone without smartplan?
i need to buy a new phone, i want to get a smart phone that is unlocked maybe a blackberry and i want to use it without having to get data plan . i dont plan on using email or internet , just want to have a nice phone . will this work?
i need to buy a new phone, i want to get a smart phone that is unlocked maybe a blackberry and i want to use it without having to get data plan . i dont plan on using email or internet , just want to have a nice phone . will this work?

smartphone without smartplan?

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2009 12:45:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mboward wrote:

Yes. The only phone that requires a data plan is the iPhone, on all other phones data is entirely optional.

mboward wrote:

Yes. The only phone that requires a data plan is the iPhone, on all other phones data is entirely optional.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: smartphone without smartplan?

2 of 26 (14,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2009 12:50:43 AM
(0)
Professor

dmapr wrote:

mboward wrote:

True but blackberrys are very limited without a data plan ie no email (I know you said you didn't need) and mms. Where other smartphones like blackjacks will send MMS with a basic text plan, and people can email your phone number also MMS..So I'd look at other PDA phones too.

dmapr wrote:

mboward wrote:

True but blackberrys are very limited without a data plan ie no email (I know you said you didn't need) and mms. Where other smartphones like blackjacks will send MMS with a basic text plan, and people can email your phone number also MMS..So I'd look at other PDA phones too.

3 of 26 (14,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2009 7:53:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on Feb 19, 2009 at 7:53:37 AM

Demetri70 wrote:

It is possible to set up MMS service books on a Blackberry without a Blackberry data plan, but requires a lot of persistence in talking with CS. FoneJunkie was able to do it on his wife's Blackberry.

Message Edited by dmapr on 02-19-2009 07:53:37 AM

Demetri70 wrote:

It is possible to set up MMS service books on a Blackberry without a Blackberry data plan, but requires a lot of persistence in talking with CS. FoneJunkie was able to do it on his wife's Blackberry.

Message Edited by dmapr on 02-19-2009 07:53:37 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 26 (14,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2009 11:06:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Most blackberrys now come with MMS service books pre-installed. The 8310, 8110, 8120, Bold... all have them. Or if you upgrade to hhsw 4.5 on the other models you will have MMS service books without getting a blackberry data plan.

However you will need a data pay per use feature to be able to send/receive picture messages, but you won't get charged for the MMS data use if you have a text message package. You would be charged 1 cent per kilobyte if you used media net (the only browser that works w/o bb data plan).

Most blackberrys now come with MMS service books pre-installed. The 8310, 8110, 8120, Bold... all have them. Or if you upgrade to hhsw 4.5 on the other models you will have MMS service books without getting a blackberry data plan.

However you will need a data pay per use feature to be able to send/receive picture messages, but you won't get charged for the MMS data use if you have a text message package. You would be charged 1 cent per kilobyte if you used media net (the only browser that works w/o bb data plan).

5 of 26 (14,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2010 4:30:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have similar question:

Lets say I want a smart phone for text messaging, and have unlimited text messaging on my plan.  I am interested in a smart phone with a keyboard -  just for texting.    But I dont want a data plan.   Can I turn off 3G within the phone entirely - just use the cell network for calls & texts ?   Does MMS still work, with pictures ?   Can I have 3G off but WiFi on, so that when I am home on my WiFi network data services will work.   (e.g. I can get my email at home or at a coffee shop's WiFi, but I dont need that all the time.)

If so, anyone know which phone(s) might fill the bill for:

- hardware keyboad (not touch screen and not slider - blackberry like.)

- No data plan required.

- Has WiFi ability but can turn off 3G/Edge services in phone - hence data services only work when connected to WiFi and I wont accidentally incur high data usage charges.

Thanks

I have similar question:

Lets say I want a smart phone for text messaging, and have unlimited text messaging on my plan.  I am interested in a smart phone with a keyboard -  just for texting.    But I dont want a data plan.   Can I turn off 3G within the phone entirely - just use the cell network for calls & texts ?   Does MMS still work, with pictures ?   Can I have 3G off but WiFi on, so that when I am home on my WiFi network data services will work.   (e.g. I can get my email at home or at a coffee shop's WiFi, but I dont need that all the time.)

- No data plan required.

- Has WiFi ability but can turn off 3G/Edge services in phone - hence data services only work when connected to WiFi and I wont accidentally incur high data usage charges.

Thanks

6 of 26 (12,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2010 4:05:57 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by jii on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:08:43 AM

ok. as of right now, you need a data plan w/ all smartphones.

you can turn off 3g and just run on edge and still make calls and send sms/mms. thatll actually help you go a lil longer between charges.

Message Edited by jii on 01-09-2010 04:08:43 AM

you can turn off 3g and just run on edge and still make calls and send sms/mms. thatll actually help you go a lil longer between charges.

[ Edited ]
7 of 26 (12,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2010 11:08:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ronsou wrote:

I have similar question:

- No data plan required.

Thanks

Cellular data is used for sending MMS, so if you have data blocked by at&t you won't be able to use the MMS function. 

Unfortunately at&t does not currently offer any phones with the features you want (physical keyboard and no data plan requirement) that also have WiFi.  WiFi is only available on the smartphones offered by at&t, and therefore a data plan is required.  You could check out their messaging oriented devices, for a physical keyboard with no data plan requirement (but also no WiFi), or you could take a look at non-branded phones from third party sources.  WiFi may be available on some models that aren't designated by at&t as smartphones. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

ronsou wrote:

I have similar question:

- No data plan required.

Thanks

Cellular data is used for sending MMS, so if you have data blocked by at&t you won't be able to use the MMS function. 

Unfortunately at&t does not currently offer any phones with the features you want (physical keyboard and no data plan requirement) that also have WiFi.  WiFi is only available on the smartphones offered by at&t, and therefore a data plan is required.  You could check out their messaging oriented devices, for a physical keyboard with no data plan requirement (but also no WiFi), or you could take a look at non-branded phones from third party sources.  WiFi may be available on some models that aren't designated by at&t as smartphones. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

8 of 26 (12,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2010 7:17:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

jii wrote:

yup. AT&T will see you using a smartphone and charge your bill. I've seen it. It is true. Statring in septmeber anyone with a smartphone will be required to pay for a dtata package unless you were already using it without before september. After that...$$$

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

jii wrote:

yup. AT&T will see you using a smartphone and charge your bill. I've seen it. It is true. Statring in septmeber anyone with a smartphone will be required to pay for a dtata package unless you were already using it without before september. After that...$$$

9 of 26 (11,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2010 8:53:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Crud.  One less feature to rub it in all the Veri$on users faces.  I used to really like bragging about ATT.
Crud.  One less feature to rub it in all the Veri$on users faces.  I used to really like bragging about ATT.

10 of 26 (11,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2010 2:01:08 PM
(0)
Master

quandryron wrote:

Well, Verizon requires a data plan on even some non-smartphones, while AT&T does not require a dataplan on non-smartphones...yet.  So get your bragging in while you can.   Smiley Wink

quandryron wrote:

Well, Verizon requires a data plan on even some non-smartphones, while AT&T does not require a dataplan on non-smartphones...yet.  So get your bragging in while you can.   Smiley Wink

11 of 26 (4,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2010 8:01:56 PM
(0)
Mentor
Don't get a smartphone if you dont plan on using e-mail or internet. Get a nice feature phone with a QWERTY keyboard if your a txter like me :smileyhappy:
Don't get a smartphone if you dont plan on using e-mail or internet. Get a nice feature phone with a QWERTY keyboard if your a txter like me :smileyhappy:

12 of 26 (4,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 9:36:35 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Jan 30, 2010 at 9:37:56 PM

asatoran wrote:

quandryron wrote:

As of 1/18/10, ATT DOES require a data and/or messaging plan on some Quick Messaging Devices (QMD)...basically they are dumbphones with a qwerty keyboard or touchscreen.  

Message Edited by Dcookie on 01-30-2010 09:37:56 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

asatoran wrote:

quandryron wrote:

As of 1/18/10, ATT DOES require a data and/or messaging plan on some Quick Messaging Devices (QMD)...basically they are dumbphones with a qwerty keyboard or touchscreen.  

Message Edited by Dcookie on 01-30-2010 09:37:56 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
13 of 26 (4,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2010 8:57:29 AM
(0)
Contributor
If I bought an older model of a smartphone (not necessarily an iphone) would I still have to pay for a data plan?
If I bought an older model of a smartphone (not necessarily an iphone) would I still have to pay for a data plan?

14 of 26 (4,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2010 10:00:44 AM
(0)
Expert

anwermyquestonplease wrote:

Where are you buying the 'older model Smartphone' from? All I can say, is if you buy from, say, ebay, Craigslist, etc. and if ATT detects you are using a Smartphone without the required $30/mo data plan, they WILL add it without notifying you. Even if you bought the phone and switched your simcard from a dumbphone to a smartphone, they will add the correct plan if they detect it. If you don't care about finding it added to your bill one day, then take your chances.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

anwermyquestonplease wrote:

Where are you buying the 'older model Smartphone' from? All I can say, is if you buy from, say, ebay, Craigslist, etc. and if ATT detects you are using a Smartphone without the required $30/mo data plan, they WILL add it without notifying you. Even if you bought the phone and switched your simcard from a dumbphone to a smartphone, they will add the correct plan if they detect it. If you don't care about finding it added to your bill one day, then take your chances.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

15 of 26 (4,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2010 9:18:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I RECOMMEND NOT GETTING THE SMART PHONE BECAUSE SINCE NOVEMBER 2009 THEY DATA PLAN IS REQUIRED AND DEPENDING ON YOUR PHONE U MAY BE CHARGE EXTRA CHANGES IN ADDITION AS WEL. i KNOW ,i HAVE THIS PROBLEM. THE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NOT HELPFUL EITHER.

I RECOMMEND NOT GETTING THE SMART PHONE BECAUSE SINCE NOVEMBER 2009 THEY DATA PLAN IS REQUIRED AND DEPENDING ON YOUR PHONE U MAY BE CHARGE EXTRA CHANGES IN ADDITION AS WEL. i KNOW ,i HAVE THIS PROBLEM. THE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NOT HELPFUL EITHER.

16 of 26 (4,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2010 8:44:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes, that is what I encountered when I activated a Nokia E62, which is an old "smart phone"
Yes, that is what I encountered when I activated a Nokia E62, which is an old "smart phone"

17 of 26 (4,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2010 8:46:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

rpark91 wrote:

What kind of phone do you use?

I would like a phone like you describe that would connect to Outlook for calendar and contacts updating. Is that possible without a data plan?

rpark91 wrote:

What kind of phone do you use?

I would like a phone like you describe that would connect to Outlook for calendar and contacts updating. Is that possible without a data plan?

18 of 26 (4,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 8:15:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

Am using a family plan with 2 year contract. I purchased Samsung Strive and using only voice services (without Data). I have an unlocked HTC smartphone with me. Will I be charged extra if I start using my SIM on HTC smartphone without any data activities except for WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

Hi,

Am using a family plan with 2 year contract. I purchased Samsung Strive and using only voice services (without Data). I have an unlocked HTC smartphone with me. Will I be charged extra if I start using my SIM on HTC smartphone without any data activities except for WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

19 of 26 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 8:58:22 PM
(0)
Master

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

It all comes down to this; if you use a smartphone on ATT's network even if you only use wifi, they may add a data plan to your line! They can tell if you are using a smartphone based on the phone IMEI number and they can tell that you do not have the proper data plan.

Will you be charged more?  Very likely!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

It all comes down to this; if you use a smartphone on ATT's network even if you only use wifi, they may add a data plan to your line! They can tell if you are using a smartphone based on the phone IMEI number and they can tell that you do not have the proper data plan.

Will you be charged more?  Very likely!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

20 of 26 (2,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 3:34:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Rayosun on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:35:24 PM

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

Indeed, a data plan will be added to the account as all smartphones are required a data plan, starting at $15/month for 200MB or $25 for the 2GB plan. As far as I am aware, AT&T will definitely give you a notice via e-mail that a data plan will be added. They will also state that you can select a plan within a time frame, before they automatically add the feature.

Hope that helps!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

Indeed, a data plan will be added to the account as all smartphones are required a data plan, starting at $15/month for 200MB or $25 for the 2GB plan. As far as I am aware, AT&T will definitely give you a notice via e-mail that a data plan will be added. They will also state that you can select a plan within a time frame, before they automatically add the feature.

Hope that helps!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)

[ Edited ]
21 of 26 (2,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 11:50:13 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ckuczek on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:54:22 AM

I thought that in order to purchase a smart phone, paying the no contract price, and not signing a new two year contract, that you had to have a data plan.  I was told at my local AT&T store that I had to have a data plan if I wanted to get another BlackBerry device.  When I had my BlackBerry Curve 8310, the data plan was optional.  Did they recently reinstate the optional data plan rule or do you still have to have a data plan? I am completely confused.

I thought that in order to purchase a smart phone, paying the no contract price, and not signing a new two year contract, that you had to have a data plan.  I was told at my local AT&T store that I had to have a data plan if I wanted to get another BlackBerry device.  When I had my BlackBerry Curve 8310, the data plan was optional.  Did they recently reinstate the optional data plan rule or do you still have to have a data plan? I am completely confused.

[ Edited ]
22 of 26 (2,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 2:31:25 PM
(0)
Expert

As far as I know ..ALL smartphones require either the $15 or $25 data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

23 of 26 (2,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 3:13:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

That's right. This policy was implemented back in late 2009, I believe. It's been a requirement ever since.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Dcookie wrote:

That's right. This policy was implemented back in late 2009, I believe. It's been a requirement ever since.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

24 of 26 (2,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 7:06:36 PM
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Yep, I remember when they implemented the mandatory data plan but back then it was a flat $30/mo. People complained about it and now the have this ...maybe they shouldn't have complained...the $30/mo was Unlimited. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Yep, I remember when they implemented the mandatory data plan but back then it was a flat $30/mo. People complained about it and now the have this ...maybe they shouldn't have complained...the $30/mo was Unlimited. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

25 of 26 (2,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 5:40:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you..
Thank you..