smartphone without smartplan?

Contributor

smartphone without smartplan?

i need to buy a new phone, i want to get a smart phone that is unlocked maybe a blackberry and i want to use it without having to get data plan . i dont plan on using email or internet , just want to have a nice phone . will this work?
Message 1 of 26 (14,143 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: smartphone without smartplan?

mboward wrote:
i need to buy a new phone, i want to get a smart phone that is unlocked maybe a blackberry and i want to use it without having to get data plan . i dont plan on using email or internet , just want to have a nice phone . will this work?

Yes. The only phone that requires a data plan is the iPhone, on all other phones data is entirely optional.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 26 (14,134 Views)
Professor

dmapr wrote:

mboward wrote:

Yes. The only phone that requires a data plan is the iPhone, on all other phones data is entirely optional.

True but blackberrys are very limited without a data plan ie no email (I know you said you didn't need) and mms. Where other smartphones like blackjacks will send MMS with a basic text plan, and people can email your phone number also MMS..So I'd look at other PDA phones too.
Message 3 of 26 (14,130 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

Demetri70 wrote:

True but blackberrys are very limited without a data plan ie no email (I know you said you didn't need) and mms. Where other smartphones like blackjacks will send MMS with a basic text plan, and people can email your phone number also MMS..So I'd look at other PDA phones too.

It is possible to set up MMS service books on a Blackberry without a Blackberry data plan, but requires a lot of persistence in talking with CS. FoneJunkie was able to do it on his wife's Blackberry.

Message Edited by dmapr on 02-19-2009 07:53:37 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 26 (14,110 Views)
Tutor

Most blackberrys now come with MMS service books pre-installed. The 8310, 8110, 8120, Bold... all have them. Or if you upgrade to hhsw 4.5 on the other models you will have MMS service books without getting a blackberry data plan.

However you will need a data pay per use feature to be able to send/receive picture messages, but you won't get charged for the MMS data use if you have a text message package. You would be charged 1 cent per kilobyte if you used media net (the only browser that works w/o bb data plan).

Message 5 of 26 (14,092 Views)
Teacher

I have similar question:

Lets say I want a smart phone for text messaging, and have unlimited text messaging on my plan.  I am interested in a smart phone with a keyboard -  just for texting.    But I dont want a data plan.   Can I turn off 3G within the phone entirely - just use the cell network for calls & texts ?   Does MMS still work, with pictures ?   Can I have 3G off but WiFi on, so that when I am home on my WiFi network data services will work.   (e.g. I can get my email at home or at a coffee shop's WiFi, but I dont need that all the time.)

If so, anyone know which phone(s) might fill the bill for:

- hardware keyboad (not touch screen and not slider - blackberry like.)

- No data plan required.

- Has WiFi ability but can turn off 3G/Edge services in phone - hence data services only work when connected to WiFi and I wont accidentally incur high data usage charges.

Thanks

Message 6 of 26 (12,500 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

ok. as of right now, you need a data plan w/ all smartphones.

you can turn off 3g and just run on edge and still make calls and send sms/mms. thatll actually help you go a lil longer between charges.

Message Edited by jii on 01-09-2010 04:08:43 AM
Message 7 of 26 (12,441 Views)
Master

ronsou wrote:

I have similar question:

Lets say I want a smart phone for text messaging, and have unlimited text messaging on my plan.  I am interested in a smart phone with a keyboard -  just for texting.    But I dont want a data plan.   Can I turn off 3G within the phone entirely - just use the cell network for calls & texts ?   Does MMS still work, with pictures ?   Can I have 3G off but WiFi on, so that when I am home on my WiFi network data services will work.   (e.g. I can get my email at home or at a coffee shop's WiFi, but I dont need that all the time.)

If so, anyone know which phone(s) might fill the bill for:

- hardware keyboad (not touch screen and not slider - blackberry like.)

- No data plan required.

- Has WiFi ability but can turn off 3G/Edge services in phone - hence data services only work when connected to WiFi and I wont accidentally incur high data usage charges.

Thanks

Cellular data is used for sending MMS, so if you have data blocked by at&t you won't be able to use the MMS function. 

Unfortunately at&t does not currently offer any phones with the features you want (physical keyboard and no data plan requirement) that also have WiFi.  WiFi is only available on the smartphones offered by at&t, and therefore a data plan is required.  You could check out their messaging oriented devices, for a physical keyboard with no data plan requirement (but also no WiFi), or you could take a look at non-branded phones from third party sources.  WiFi may be available on some models that aren't designated by at&t as smartphones. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 26 (12,349 Views)
Scholar

jii wrote:

ok. as of right now, you need a data plan w/ all smartphones.

you can turn off 3g and just run on edge and still make calls and send sms/mms. thatll actually help you go a lil longer between charges.

Message Edited by jii on 01-09-2010 04:08:43 AM

yup. AT&T will see you using a smartphone and charge your bill. I've seen it. It is true. Statring in septmeber anyone with a smartphone will be required to pay for a dtata package unless you were already using it without before september. After that...$$$

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 26 (12,039 Views)

Crud.  One less feature to rub it in all the Veri$on users faces.  I used to really like bragging about ATT.
Message 10 of 26 (11,980 Views)
Master

quandryron wrote:
Crud.  One less feature to rub it in all the Veri$on users faces.  I used to really like bragging about ATT.

Well, Verizon requires a data plan on even some non-smartphones, while AT&T does not require a dataplan on non-smartphones...yet.  So get your bragging in while you can.   Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 26 (4,771 Views)
Mentor

Don't get a smartphone if you dont plan on using e-mail or internet. Get a nice feature phone with a QWERTY keyboard if your a txter like me :smileyhappy:
Message 12 of 26 (4,701 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

asatoran wrote:

quandryron wrote:

Well, Verizon requires a data plan on even some non-smartphones, while AT&T does not require a dataplan on non-smartphones...yet.  So get your bragging in while you can.   Smiley Wink

As of 1/18/10, ATT DOES require a data and/or messaging plan on some Quick Messaging Devices (QMD)...basically they are dumbphones with a qwerty keyboard or touchscreen.  

Message Edited by Dcookie on 01-30-2010 09:37:56 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 13 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Contributor

If I bought an older model of a smartphone (not necessarily an iphone) would I still have to pay for a data plan?
Message 14 of 26 (4,663 Views)
Expert

anwermyquestonplease wrote:
If I bought an older model of a smartphone (not necessarily an iphone) would I still have to pay for a data plan?

Where are you buying the 'older model Smartphone' from? All I can say, is if you buy from, say, ebay, Craigslist, etc. and if ATT detects you are using a Smartphone without the required $30/mo data plan, they WILL add it without notifying you. Even if you bought the phone and switched your simcard from a dumbphone to a smartphone, they will add the correct plan if they detect it. If you don't care about finding it added to your bill one day, then take your chances.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 15 of 26 (4,656 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support