Helpful Links

smartphone without smartplan?

Contributor

smartphone without smartplan?

i need to buy a new phone, i want to get a smart phone that is unlocked maybe a blackberry and i want to use it without having to get data plan . i dont plan on using email or internet , just want to have a nice phone . will this work?
Message 1 of 26
Contributor

Re: smartphone without smartplan?

I RECOMMEND NOT GETTING THE SMART PHONE BECAUSE SINCE NOVEMBER 2009 THEY DATA PLAN IS REQUIRED AND DEPENDING ON YOUR PHONE U MAY BE CHARGE EXTRA CHANGES IN ADDITION AS WEL. i KNOW ,i HAVE THIS PROBLEM. THE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NOT HELPFUL EITHER.

Message 16 of 26
Tutor

Yes, that is what I encountered when I activated a Nokia E62, which is an old "smart phone"
Message 17 of 26
Tutor

rpark91 wrote:
Don't get a smartphone if you dont plan on using e-mail or internet. Get a nice feature phone with a QWERTY keyboard if your a txter like me :smileyhappy:

What kind of phone do you use?

I would like a phone like you describe that would connect to Outlook for calendar and contacts updating. Is that possible without a data plan?

Message 18 of 26
Contributor

Hi,

Am using a family plan with 2 year contract. I purchased Samsung Strive and using only voice services (without Data). I have an unlocked HTC smartphone with me. Will I be charged extra if I start using my SIM on HTC smartphone without any data activities except for WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

Message 19 of 26
Master

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Am using a family plan with 2 year contract. I purchased Samsung Strive and using only voice services (without Data). I have an unlocked HTC smartphone with me. Will I be charged extra if I start using my SIM on HTC smartphone without any data activities except for WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

It all comes down to this; if you use a smartphone on ATT's network even if you only use wifi, they may add a data plan to your line! They can tell if you are using a smartphone based on the phone IMEI number and they can tell that you do not have the proper data plan.

Will you be charged more?  Very likely!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 20 of 26
ACE - Professor

vijeybhaskar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vijey

Indeed, a data plan will be added to the account as all smartphones are required a data plan, starting at $15/month for 200MB or $25 for the 2GB plan. As far as I am aware, AT&T will definitely give you a notice via e-mail that a data plan will be added. They will also state that you can select a plan within a time frame, before they automatically add the feature.

Hope that helps!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 26
Professor

I thought that in order to purchase a smart phone, paying the no contract price, and not signing a new two year contract, that you had to have a data plan.  I was told at my local AT&T store that I had to have a data plan if I wanted to get another BlackBerry device.  When I had my BlackBerry Curve 8310, the data plan was optional.  Did they recently reinstate the optional data plan rule or do you still have to have a data plan? I am completely confused.

Message 22 of 26
Expert

As far as I know ..ALL smartphones require either the $15 or $25 data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 23 of 26
Master

Dcookie wrote:

That's right. This policy was implemented back in late 2009, I believe. It's been a requirement ever since.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 24 of 26
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

That's right. This policy was implemented back in late 2009, I believe. It's been a requirement ever since.

Yep, I remember when they implemented the mandatory data plan but back then it was a flat $30/mo. People complained about it and now the have this ...maybe they shouldn't have complained...the $30/mo was Unlimited. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 25 of 26
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you..
Message 26 of 26
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support