Helpful Links

smartphone without data plan

Scholar

smartphone without data plan

If I buy an unlocked smartphone, can I use it on AT&T postpaid without being forced to eat a $15/mo charge for data? I will be disabling data access via 3G and the only times the phone will be connected to the internet, it's going to be via wi-fi.

Message 1 of 21

Re: smartphone without data plan

I domt think so. since as per system of the att it will detect if you are using a smartphone and will automatically add the feature.
Message 2 of 21
Professor

its like a bundled package, with a smartphone comes the basic data plan "irr" regardless of wanting it or not.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 21

not possible.

Message 4 of 21
Professor

aristizzle wrote:

not possible.

...... SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.....

tut1.jpg  

Message 5 of 21

hahahaha nice pic Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 21
Professor

lol, it sorta captures the Aristizzle Era Dynasty . Grab it and use it if u like , man.

Your response summed the entire inquiry in those few words! Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 21

The only way to use a smart phone on AT&T without a data plan is to use it on PREPAID.

Message 8 of 21

RicoLX wrote:
lol, it sorta captures the Aristizzle Era Dynasty . Grab it and use it if u like , man.

Your response summed the entire inquiry in those few words! Smiley Wink

I'm going to make it my sig. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 21
Professor

It is totally YOU, man! Cool!
Message 10 of 21
Contributor

You mention using a PREPAID.  I currently have a family plan.  Would that mean that I would need to remove the phone in question from my family plan and go fully prepaid with it.  I'm sure the cost for that would probably end up being higher than just keeping the data plan.  Correct????

Message 11 of 21
Contributor

prepaid option you still have to sign up for their data plan using a smartphone. My family and i would like to just use our paid-in-full-AT&T-smartphones just for voice, we don't get 4G or even 3G where we're at. When our plan ends in a few months they will force us onto the data plan. So either I change carriers or we carry two phones each, non-cellular smartphone and a cellular dumbphone, [word filter avoidance]

Message 12 of 21
Tutor

It would be nice if we could get a nice smart phone without data but ATT is wayyyyyy to greedy. I read an article last night indicating that the rates are going up again! It is rediculous. It you want a decent smartphone with unlimited data..look at Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile for $55 per month unlimited everything. The only thing unlimited with att is unlimited charges!

Message 13 of 21
Expert

mystika1 wrote:

It would be nice if we could get a nice smart phone without data but ATT is wayyyyyy to greedy. I read an article last night indicating that the rates are going up again! It is rediculous. It you want a decent smartphone with unlimited data..look at Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile for $55 per month unlimited everything. The only thing unlimited with att is unlimited charges!

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone, it was changed back in 2009. There is NO carrier inthe top 3 that do not require a data plan for a smartphone. As you mentioned if you want the smartphone without a required data plan look at a pre-paid service, even ATT's pre-paid service with a smartphone does not require a data plan, so your choices are there, it just depends on the coverage that you required.

By the way, from Boost Mobile's serviced policy, they also reserve the right to take action for abuse of unlimited data

• Excessive Utilization of Network Resources: Consuming a disproportionate amount of available Network resources resulting in the potential to disrupt or degrade the Network or Network usage by others. The determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the specific state of the Network at any given time.  Excessive use is determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical individual user of the Network and not by the use of any particular application.

http://www.boostmobile.com/support/services-policies/#acceptableUse

So no  matter what the marketing hype states, dig down to the policies to find out exactly what it means. Unlimited in a users definition is not the same as unlimited in the carriers definition, for example - T-Mobiles "unlimited everything" plan that includes data for smartphones, sounds great until you click on the "see details" you discover exactly what their "unlimited data" definition is - with the highest plan you get 10GB at high speed, after 10GB your speed is reduced. Even their cheapest "unlimited everything" plan as a restriction, only that is at 200MB

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/cell-phone-plans-detail.aspx?tp=tb1&rateplan=Classic-Ultd-Talk-Ul...

Message 14 of 21
Tutor

Winrider01 Wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone

Can you please give me a logical reason why this changed? And no, just because other providers did the same is not a logical reason.

Wingrider01 wrote:

By the way, from Boost Mobile's serviced policy, they also reserve the right to take action for abuse of unlimited data

I have my data turned off...how is that abuse??? I guess I have to suffer and pay for other peoples issues.

Wingrider01 Wrote:

So no  matter what the marketing hype states, dig down to the policies to find out exactly what it means. Unlimited in a users definition is not the same as unlimited in the carriers definition, for example - T-Mobiles "unlimited everything" plan that includes data for smartphones, sounds great until you click on the "see details" you discover exactly what their "unlimited data" definition is - with the highest plan you get 10GB at high speed, after 10GB your speed is reduced. Even their cheapest "unlimited everything" plan as a restriction, only that is at 200MB

Ummmmm am I the only one who sees the huge price difference?

$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling

$50 for up to 5GB with ATT plus messaging plus your calling plan= Wayyyyyyy to much(50+20+your plan$60=$130.00!)

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support