Helpful Links

smartphone without data plan

Scholar

smartphone without data plan

If I buy an unlocked smartphone, can I use it on AT&T postpaid without being forced to eat a $15/mo charge for data? I will be disabling data access via 3G and the only times the phone will be connected to the internet, it's going to be via wi-fi.

9,777 Views
Message 1 of 21
Expert

Re: smartphone without data plan


mystika1 wrote:

Winrider01 Wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone

 

 

Can you please give me a logical reason why this changed? And no, just because other providers did the same is not a logical reason.

 

Wingrider01 wrote:

By the way, from Boost Mobile's serviced policy, they also reserve the right to take action for abuse of unlimited data

 

I have my data turned off...how is that abuse??? I guess I have to suffer and pay for other peoples issues.

 

Wingrider01 Wrote:

So no  matter what the marketing hype states, dig down to the policies to find out exactly what it means. Unlimited in a users definition is not the same as unlimited in the carriers definition, for example - T-Mobiles "unlimited everything" plan that includes data for smartphones, sounds great until you click on the "see details" you discover exactly what their "unlimited data" definition is - with the highest plan you get 10GB at high speed, after 10GB your speed is reduced. Even their cheapest "unlimited everything" plan as a restriction, only that is at 200MB

 

Ummmmm am I the only one who sees the huge price difference?

$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling

$50 for up to 5GB with ATT plus messaging plus your calling plan= Wayyyyyyy to much(50+20+your plan$60=$130.00!)



no I can since I am not privy to their decision process, can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

 

Sorry no seeing this "huge" price difference. Appears to be 5.00 across the board for additional data charges

 

old

 

15.00 for 200MB

25.00 for 2GB

45.00 for 4GB w/ tethering / hotspot

 

new

 

20.00 for 300MB = 5.00 for 100mb more data

30.00 for 3GB = 5.00 for 1GB more data

50.00 for 5GB = 5.00 for 1gb more data w/ tethering / hotpsot

 

No compare to Verizon (new ATT prices)

 

ATT - 20.00 for 300MB of data

Ver = no comparable plan for smarthpones

 

ATT - 30.00 for 3GB of data

Ver = 30.00 for 2GB of data

 

ATT = 50.00 for 5GB of data w/ tethering / hotspot

Ver = 50.00 for 5GB of data NO tethering or hotspot

 

Verzion for tethering or hotspot is 4GB for 30.00

 

Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

 

 

 

Message 16 of 21
Tutor

Re: smartphone without data plan

windrider01 wrote:

 Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

 

 

Sigh: You seem to think that they charge like ATT does...seperate charge for data..separate charge for messaging and so on. Not so.....

Att charges data+your phone plan+messaging. That is three seperate things totaling up to $130.00 per phone

Boost mobile/virgin mobile charges ONE flat charge $55 This included add data/messaging/calling)

 

$130.00 ATT total charges per month

$55 Boost total charges per month 

 

Boost Mobile is $75.00 cheaper than ATT. It doesn't matter how much you try to justify what att  charges.... it is still wayyyyyy more expensive. Plus you have to sign a contract. It is rediculous to even try to clain that there is no difference.

 

Why does ATT not offer a $5.oo data plan for customers who don't need data??? They have nothing to loose then if everybody goes over their data limit...they charge fees for going over limits anyway.

 

Windrider01 wrote:

 can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

 

To put is quite frankly...that is not my problem. I should not have to waste $20($240 a year)on something I don't want or need. End of story. If I accidently turn on data on my phone then I will pay my dues. Until then I should not have to pay for something I don't use!

Message 17 of 21
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: smartphone without data plan

Mystika1..

Easy answer to your problem..switch your phone to whatever carrier (u seem big on boost) fits *your* needs.

Problem *solved*
Message 18 of 21
Tutor

Re: smartphone without data plan

Yes you are correct. If att does not care about customers who don't need big data packages the best thing to do is switch. If you search this forum you will see many people with the exact same problem... and all given the same answer. Leave....
What a way to run a business.

Oh well,
Bye
Message 19 of 21
Expert

Re: smartphone without data plan


mystika1 wrote:

windrider01 wrote:

 Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

 

 

Sigh: You seem to think that they charge like ATT does...seperate charge for data..separate charge for messaging and so on. Not so.....

Att charges data+your phone plan+messaging. That is three seperate things totaling up to $130.00 per phone

Boost mobile/virgin mobile charges ONE flat charge $55 This included add data/messaging/calling)

 

$130.00 ATT total charges per month

$55 Boost total charges per month 

 

Boost Mobile is $75.00 cheaper than ATT. It doesn't matter how much you try to justify what att  charges.... it is still wayyyyyy more expensive. Plus you have to sign a contract. It is rediculous to even try to clain that there is no difference.

 

Why does ATT not offer a $5.oo data plan for customers who don't need data??? They have nothing to loose then if everybody goes over their data limit...they charge fees for going over limits anyway.

 

Windrider01 wrote:

 can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

 

To put is quite frankly...that is not my problem. I should not have to waste $20($240 a year)on something I don't want or need. End of story. If I accidently turn on data on my phone then I will pay my dues. Until then I should not have to pay for something I don't use!


you are comparing a prepaid plan with postpaid plans, if you do the research att has a prepaid plan that matches - 50.00 that includes everything

Message 20 of 21
Expert

Re: smartphone without data plan


mystika1 wrote:
Yes you are correct. If att does not care about customers who don't need big data packages the best thing to do is switch. If you search this forum you will see many people with the exact same problem... and all given the same answer. Leave....
What a way to run a business.

Oh well,
Bye


att offers a 300MB plan, the other carrier, verizion the smallest data plan they offer for a smartphone is 2GB.

 

They also offer prepaid plans for smartphones that do not require data.

Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support