Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2011
10:26:21 PM
View profile
smartphone without data plan

If I buy an unlocked smartphone, can I use it on AT&T postpaid without being forced to eat a $15/mo charge for data? I will be disabling data access via 3G and the only times the phone will be connected to the internet, it's going to be via wi-fi.

If I buy an unlocked smartphone, can I use it on AT&T postpaid without being forced to eat a $15/mo charge for data? I will be disabling data access via 3G and the only times the phone will be connected to the internet, it's going to be via wi-fi.

smartphone without data plan

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 10:39:51 PM
(0)
Guru
I domt think so. since as per system of the att it will detect if you are using a smartphone and will automatically add the feature.
I domt think so. since as per system of the att it will detect if you are using a smartphone and will automatically add the feature.

Re: smartphone without data plan

2 of 21 (9,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 6:18:06 AM
(0)
Professor
its like a bundled package, with a smartphone comes the basic data plan "irr" regardless of wanting it or not.

Smiley Indifferent
its like a bundled package, with a smartphone comes the basic data plan "irr" regardless of wanting it or not.

Smiley Indifferent
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

3 of 21 (9,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 10:58:07 AM
(0)
Guru

not possible.

not possible.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

4 of 21 (9,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 11:05:51 AM
(0)
Professor

aristizzle wrote:

not possible.

...... SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.....

aristizzle wrote:

not possible.

...... SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.....

5 of 21 (9,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 11:21:22 AM
(0)
Guru

hahahaha nice pic Smiley Wink

hahahaha nice pic Smiley Wink

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

6 of 21 (9,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 11:42:33 AM
(0)
Professor
lol, it sorta captures the Aristizzle Era Dynasty . Grab it and use it if u like , man.

Your response summed the entire inquiry in those few words! Smiley Wink
lol, it sorta captures the Aristizzle Era Dynasty . Grab it and use it if u like , man.

7 of 21 (9,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 1:16:58 PM
(0)
Guru

The only way to use a smart phone on AT&T without a data plan is to use it on PREPAID.

The only way to use a smart phone on AT&T without a data plan is to use it on PREPAID.

8 of 21 (9,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 6:43:37 PM
(0)
Guru

RicoLX wrote:

I'm going to make it my sig. Smiley Very Happy

RicoLX wrote:

I'm going to make it my sig. Smiley Very Happy

9 of 21 (9,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 6:51:32 PM
(0)
Professor
It is totally YOU, man! Cool!
It is totally YOU, man! Cool!

10 of 21 (9,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 9:36:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

You mention using a PREPAID.  I currently have a family plan.  Would that mean that I would need to remove the phone in question from my family plan and go fully prepaid with it.  I'm sure the cost for that would probably end up being higher than just keeping the data plan.  Correct????

You mention using a PREPAID.  I currently have a family plan.  Would that mean that I would need to remove the phone in question from my family plan and go fully prepaid with it.  I'm sure the cost for that would probably end up being higher than just keeping the data plan.  Correct????

11 of 21 (7,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 9:59:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:24:07 AM

prepaid option you still have to sign up for their data plan using a smartphone. My family and i would like to just use our paid-in-full-AT&T-smartphones just for voice, we don't get 4G or even 3G where we're at. When our plan ends in a few months they will force us onto the data plan. So either I change carriers or we carry two phones each, non-cellular smartphone and a cellular dumbphone, [word filter avoidance]

prepaid option you still have to sign up for their data plan using a smartphone. My family and i would like to just use our paid-in-full-AT&T-smartphones just for voice, we don't get 4G or even 3G where we're at. When our plan ends in a few months they will force us onto the data plan. So either I change carriers or we carry two phones each, non-cellular smartphone and a cellular dumbphone, [word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
12 of 21 (6,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 5:17:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

It would be nice if we could get a nice smart phone without data but ATT is wayyyyyy to greedy. I read an article last night indicating that the rates are going up again! It is rediculous. It you want a decent smartphone with unlimited data..look at Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile for $55 per month unlimited everything. The only thing unlimited with att is unlimited charges!

It would be nice if we could get a nice smart phone without data but ATT is wayyyyyy to greedy. I read an article last night indicating that the rates are going up again! It is rediculous. It you want a decent smartphone with unlimited data..look at Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile for $55 per month unlimited everything. The only thing unlimited with att is unlimited charges!

13 of 21 (6,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 3:53:15 AM
(0)
Expert

mystika1 wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone, it was changed back in 2009. There is NO carrier inthe top 3 that do not require a data plan for a smartphone. As you mentioned if you want the smartphone without a required data plan look at a pre-paid service, even ATT's pre-paid service with a smartphone does not require a data plan, so your choices are there, it just depends on the coverage that you required.

By the way, from Boost Mobile's serviced policy, they also reserve the right to take action for abuse of unlimited data

• Excessive Utilization of Network Resources: Consuming a disproportionate amount of available Network resources resulting in the potential to disrupt or degrade the Network or Network usage by others. The determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the specific state of the Network at any given time.  Excessive use is determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical individual user of the Network and not by the use of any particular application.

http://www.boostmobile.com/support/services-policies/#acceptableUse

So no  matter what the marketing hype states, dig down to the policies to find out exactly what it means. Unlimited in a users definition is not the same as unlimited in the carriers definition, for example - T-Mobiles "unlimited everything" plan that includes data for smartphones, sounds great until you click on the "see details" you discover exactly what their "unlimited data" definition is - with the highest plan you get 10GB at high speed, after 10GB your speed is reduced. Even their cheapest "unlimited everything" plan as a restriction, only that is at 200MB

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/cell-phone-plans-detail.aspx?tp=tb1&rateplan=Classic-Ultd-Talk-Ul...

mystika1 wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone, it was changed back in 2009. There is NO carrier inthe top 3 that do not require a data plan for a smartphone. As you mentioned if you want the smartphone without a required data plan look at a pre-paid service, even ATT's pre-paid service with a smartphone does not require a data plan, so your choices are there, it just depends on the coverage that you required.

By the way, from Boost Mobile's serviced policy, they also reserve the right to take action for abuse of unlimited data

• Excessive Utilization of Network Resources: Consuming a disproportionate amount of available Network resources resulting in the potential to disrupt or degrade the Network or Network usage by others. The determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the specific state of the Network at any given time.  Excessive use is determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical individual user of the Network and not by the use of any particular application.

http://www.boostmobile.com/support/services-policies/#acceptableUse

So no  matter what the marketing hype states, dig down to the policies to find out exactly what it means. Unlimited in a users definition is not the same as unlimited in the carriers definition, for example - T-Mobiles "unlimited everything" plan that includes data for smartphones, sounds great until you click on the "see details" you discover exactly what their "unlimited data" definition is - with the highest plan you get 10GB at high speed, after 10GB your speed is reduced. Even their cheapest "unlimited everything" plan as a restriction, only that is at 200MB

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/cell-phone-plans-detail.aspx?tp=tb1&rateplan=Classic-Ultd-Talk-Ultd-Text-Ultd-Data-5-GB

14 of 21 (6,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 6:10:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Winrider01 Wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone

Can you please give me a logical reason why this changed? And no, just because other providers did the same is not a logical reason.

Wingrider01 wrote:

I have my data turned off...how is that abuse??? I guess I have to suffer and pay for other peoples issues.

Wingrider01 Wrote:

Ummmmm am I the only one who sees the huge price difference?

$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling

$50 for up to 5GB with ATT plus messaging plus your calling plan= Wayyyyyyy to much(50+20+your plan$60=$130.00!)

Winrider01 Wrote:

up until three years ago ATT was the only one of the top 3 carriers in the US that did not require a data plan for a smartphone

Can you please give me a logical reason why this changed? And no, just because other providers did the same is not a logical reason.

Wingrider01 wrote:

I have my data turned off...how is that abuse??? I guess I have to suffer and pay for other peoples issues.

Wingrider01 Wrote:

$50 for up to 5GB with ATT plus messaging plus your calling plan= Wayyyyyyy to much(50+20+your plan$60=$130.00!)

15 of 21 (6,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 10:26:08 AM
(0)
Expert

mystika1 wrote:

Winrider01 Wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

Wingrider01 Wrote:

no I can since I am not privy to their decision process, can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

Sorry no seeing this "huge" price difference. Appears to be 5.00 across the board for additional data charges

old

15.00 for 200MB

25.00 for 2GB

45.00 for 4GB w/ tethering / hotspot

new

20.00 for 300MB = 5.00 for 100mb more data

30.00 for 3GB = 5.00 for 1GB more data

50.00 for 5GB = 5.00 for 1gb more data w/ tethering / hotpsot

No compare to Verizon (new ATT prices)

ATT - 20.00 for 300MB of data

Ver = no comparable plan for smarthpones

ATT - 30.00 for 3GB of data

Ver = 30.00 for 2GB of data

ATT = 50.00 for 5GB of data w/ tethering / hotspot

Ver = 50.00 for 5GB of data NO tethering or hotspot

Verzion for tethering or hotspot is 4GB for 30.00

Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

mystika1 wrote:

Winrider01 Wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

Wingrider01 Wrote:

no I can since I am not privy to their decision process, can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

Sorry no seeing this "huge" price difference. Appears to be 5.00 across the board for additional data charges

old

15.00 for 200MB

25.00 for 2GB

45.00 for 4GB w/ tethering / hotspot

new

20.00 for 300MB = 5.00 for 100mb more data

30.00 for 3GB = 5.00 for 1GB more data

50.00 for 5GB = 5.00 for 1gb more data w/ tethering / hotpsot

No compare to Verizon (new ATT prices)

ATT - 20.00 for 300MB of data

Ver = no comparable plan for smarthpones

ATT - 30.00 for 3GB of data

Ver = 30.00 for 2GB of data

ATT = 50.00 for 5GB of data w/ tethering / hotspot

Ver = 50.00 for 5GB of data NO tethering or hotspot

Verzion for tethering or hotspot is 4GB for 30.00

Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

16 of 21 (6,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 12:26:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

windrider01 wrote:

Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

Sigh: You seem to think that they charge like ATT does...seperate charge for data..separate charge for messaging and so on. Not so.....

Att charges data+your phone plan+messaging. That is three seperate things totaling up to $130.00 per phone

Boost mobile/virgin mobile charges ONE flat charge $55 This included add data/messaging/calling)

$130.00 ATT total charges per month

$55 Boost total charges per month 

Boost Mobile is $75.00 cheaper than ATT. It doesn't matter how much you try to justify what att  charges.... it is still wayyyyyy more expensive. Plus you have to sign a contract. It is rediculous to even try to clain that there is no difference.

Why does ATT not offer a $5.oo data plan for customers who don't need data??? They have nothing to loose then if everybody goes over their data limit...they charge fees for going over limits anyway.

Windrider01 wrote:

can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

To put is quite frankly...that is not my problem. I should not have to waste $20($240 a year)on something I don't want or need. End of story. If I accidently turn on data on my phone then I will pay my dues. Until then I should not have to pay for something I don't use!

windrider01 wrote:

Not quite sure where you come up with "$55 for 10GB at high speed that includes messaging/calling"

Sigh: You seem to think that they charge like ATT does...seperate charge for data..separate charge for messaging and so on. Not so.....

Att charges data+your phone plan+messaging. That is three seperate things totaling up to $130.00 per phone

Boost mobile/virgin mobile charges ONE flat charge $55 This included add data/messaging/calling)

Boost Mobile is $75.00 cheaper than ATT. It doesn't matter how much you try to justify what att  charges.... it is still wayyyyyy more expensive. Plus you have to sign a contract. It is rediculous to even try to clain that there is no difference.

Why does ATT not offer a $5.oo data plan for customers who don't need data??? They have nothing to loose then if everybody goes over their data limit...they charge fees for going over limits anyway.

Windrider01 wrote:

can speculate they got tired of people calling in a wanting credits for "accidently" using the smartphpones data plan.

To put is quite frankly...that is not my problem. I should not have to waste $20($240 a year)on something I don't want or need. End of story. If I accidently turn on data on my phone then I will pay my dues. Until then I should not have to pay for something I don't use!

17 of 21 (6,826 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 1:37:31 PM
(0)
Explorer
Mystika1..

Easy answer to your problem..switch your phone to whatever carrier (u seem big on boost) fits *your* needs.

Problem *solved*
Mystika1..

Easy answer to your problem..switch your phone to whatever carrier (u seem big on boost) fits *your* needs.

Problem *solved*

18 of 21 (6,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 2:00:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes you are correct. If att does not care about customers who don't need big data packages the best thing to do is switch. If you search this forum you will see many people with the exact same problem... and all given the same answer. Leave....
What a way to run a business.

Oh well,
Bye
Yes you are correct. If att does not care about customers who don't need big data packages the best thing to do is switch. If you search this forum you will see many people with the exact same problem... and all given the same answer. Leave....

Oh well,
Bye

19 of 21 (6,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 2:23:58 PM
(0)
Expert

mystika1 wrote:

windrider01 wrote:

Windrider01 wrote:

you are comparing a prepaid plan with postpaid plans, if you do the research att has a prepaid plan that matches - 50.00 that includes everything

mystika1 wrote:

windrider01 wrote:

Windrider01 wrote:

you are comparing a prepaid plan with postpaid plans, if you do the research att has a prepaid plan that matches - 50.00 that includes everything

20 of 21 (6,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 2:26:09 PM
(0)
Expert

mystika1 wrote:

Oh well,
Bye

att offers a 300MB plan, the other carrier, verizion the smallest data plan they offer for a smartphone is 2GB.

They also offer prepaid plans for smartphones that do not require data.

mystika1 wrote:

Oh well,
Bye

att offers a 300MB plan, the other carrier, verizion the smallest data plan they offer for a smartphone is 2GB.

They also offer prepaid plans for smartphones that do not require data.

21 of 21 (6,759 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments