Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 9, 2011
10:23:59 AM
smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

So you have a smart phone and they stuffed a data plan down your throat...

How many megabytes do you consume each month, on average?

What's the most data you've consumed in a month?

Just curious...

TIA,

Mike O

So you have a smart phone and they stuffed a data plan down your throat...

How many megabytes do you consume each month, on average?

What's the most data you've consumed in a month?

Just curious...

TIA,

Mike O

smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 10:46:16 AM
(0)
Employee
probably 600mb o average but the most was about 4GB. use wifi when possible
probably 600mb o average but the most was about 4GB. use wifi when possible
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

2 of 36 (4,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 2:54:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Very little because I can't get the browser to work 99 per cent of the time.  Service is constantly unavailable.

Very little because I can't get the browser to work 99 per cent of the time.  Service is constantly unavailable.

3 of 36 (4,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 12:26:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

Around 920 MB.. Thank gosh for being on an ANR account (:

Around 920 MB.. Thank gosh for being on an ANR account (:

4 of 36 (4,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 4:36:24 PM
(0)
Master
Started out over a year and a half ago at about 300 mb per month. Now with a faster phone, it is more like 2.8 GB per month. My usage increased each month.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Started out over a year and a half ago at about 300 mb per month. Now with a faster phone, it is more like 2.8 GB per month. My usage increased each month.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

5 of 36 (4,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 3:22:44 AM
(0)
Expert

Wife's Iphone useage approx 38MB permonth

My personal Iphone - a little over 900MB

My business Iphone 3-7GB a month depending on how many web meetings I attend

Wife's Iphone useage approx 38MB permonth

My personal Iphone - a little over 900MB

My business Iphone 3-7GB a month depending on how many web meetings I attend

6 of 36 (4,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 2:14:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I would like top know where my children are going on the internet.  The usage is always high but I can't see what they are using it for?

I would like top know where my children are going on the internet.  The usage is always high but I can't see what they are using it for?

7 of 36 (4,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 1:50:15 AM
(0)
Employee
Just ask them what they do on the internet
Just ask them what they do on the internet
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 36 (4,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 3:52:27 AM
(0)
Professor
Ayemen breaux!
Ayemen breaux!
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

9 of 36 (4,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:49:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Average is about 5.8 Gig and I do not think I am that big a user and that is just off wifi because I use that at home. I have not met any one with a iphone at least who could stay in the 2 gig data plan. A ATT rep told me t-Mobil slows down after 2 gig on their unlimited plan but I would rather pay  for slow at one rate than an arm and a leg when I go over.

ATT data plans are awful

Average is about 5.8 Gig and I do not think I am that big a user and that is just off wifi because I use that at home. I have not met any one with a iphone at least who could stay in the 2 gig data plan. A ATT rep told me t-Mobil slows down after 2 gig on their unlimited plan but I would rather pay  for slow at one rate than an arm and a leg when I go over.

ATT data plans are awful

10 of 36 (4,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 6:00:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I average about 30gigs so far. Theres no cable run out here so I only have internet through my phone. AT&T is a lifesaver with their old unlimited plans.

I average about 30gigs so far. Theres no cable run out here so I only have internet through my phone. AT&T is a lifesaver with their old unlimited plans.

11 of 36 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 4:03:50 AM
(0)
Expert

smoshof wrote:

If you are using that much, expect to get a throttling notification, att is now enforcing the fair use policy of the agreement.

smoshof wrote:

If you are using that much, expect to get a throttling notification, att is now enforcing the fair use policy of the agreement.

12 of 36 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 8:01:25 PM
(0)
Professor
I use 10 MB per month.
I use 10 MB per month.

13 of 36 (3,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 12:27:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

Anywhere between 3 to 6GB

Phone:dell streak 5

previous phones:

ATT fuze

Cingular 8125

Anywhere between 3 to 6GB

Phone:dell streak 5

previous phones:

ATT fuze

Cingular 8125

14 of 36 (3,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 11:39:25 PM
(0)
Employee

i used 5GB last month, i think im just to happy to have awesome internet compared to when i had sprint and i would only use maybe 200MB since my internet was slow i just waitied to use wifi for nearly everything

i used 5GB last month, i think im just to happy to have awesome internet compared to when i had sprint and i would only use maybe 200MB since my internet was slow i just waitied to use wifi for nearly everything

15 of 36 (3,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 8:46:45 AM
(0)
Expert

Oh wow! I hope you guys have an unlimited data plan, still! I'm waiting to see what my bill will be since this is a first for me..just got a smartphone 3 weeks ago. Luckily enough, I have wifi at work and home. This will be interesting to see..maybe not on this coming bill, but the next one. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Oh wow! I hope you guys have an unlimited data plan, still! I'm waiting to see what my bill will be since this is a first for me..just got a smartphone 3 weeks ago. Luckily enough, I have wifi at work and home. This will be interesting to see..maybe not on this coming bill, but the next one. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

16 of 36 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 10:28:34 AM
(0)
Guru

And unless smoshof is on one of the old unlimited broadband card plans, I don't recall there being any unlimited data plans for phones (smart or dumb) that permitted tethering. 

wingrider01 wrote:

smoshof wrote:

And unless smoshof is on one of the old unlimited broadband card plans, I don't recall there being any unlimited data plans for phones (smart or dumb) that permitted tethering. 

wingrider01 wrote:

smoshof wrote:

17 of 36 (3,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2012 1:20:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

Since 2008, I've averaged about 600MB/month with 300MB low and a high of 1.2GB.

However, on LTE, I've been averaging arounf 3-4GB every month since getting a compatible device.  Difference is because I have a data speeds that are very comparable to WiFi and do not connect to my network as much.

Smiley LOL

Since 2008, I've averaged about 600MB/month with 300MB low and a high of 1.2GB.

However, on LTE, I've been averaging arounf 3-4GB every month since getting a compatible device.  Difference is because I have a data speeds that are very comparable to WiFi and do not connect to my network as much.

Smiley LOL

18 of 36 (3,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2012 6:49:14 AM
(0)
Employee
About 2GB a month now, probably that dang blasted YouTube.
About 2GB a month now, probably that dang blasted YouTube.

19 of 36 (3,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2012 5:31:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Wow!  I've had my iPhone for 3 years and I average 200-300MB a month.  I use the Wifi a lot at home and don't have the patience to wait for the network to load when I'm not in a wifi zone, so that's why it's probably low.  I find it hard to use the small browser, etc. too.  But I'm keeping my unlimited data plan just in case Smiley Happy

Wow!  I've had my iPhone for 3 years and I average 200-300MB a month.  I use the Wifi a lot at home and don't have the patience to wait for the network to load when I'm not in a wifi zone, so that's why it's probably low.  I find it hard to use the small browser, etc. too.  But I'm keeping my unlimited data plan just in case Smiley Happy

20 of 36 (3,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2012 10:38:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just started my new spartphone this month and I have used 36 mb from 4-12-12 until now.  I'm learning all about Wi-Fi and I have a question.  Can you listen and download music while on Wi-Fi network, do you get charge a fee. 

I just started my new spartphone this month and I have used 36 mb from 4-12-12 until now.  I'm learning all about Wi-Fi and I have a question.  Can you listen and download music while on Wi-Fi network, do you get charge a fee. 

21 of 36 (3,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 1:12:11 AM
(0)
Professor

3-4 gigs a month on average. Mostly work related uploads/downloads though. Good thing they pay my bill ;p

3-4 gigs a month on average. Mostly work related uploads/downloads though. Good thing they pay my bill ;p

22 of 36 (3,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 4:16:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

I can download unlimited data at a very faster 2g speed. i actually use a Nokia Asha 303 and Nokia has recently signed an agreement with Vodafone India to provide assured speed with attractive data plans to all the asha 303 users in India.

so iam very happy paying just a couple of money for  high speed and unlimited data plans. Thanks to Nokia Asha 303

I can download unlimited data at a very faster 2g speed. i actually use a Nokia Asha 303 and Nokia has recently signed an agreement with Vodafone India to provide assured speed with attractive data plans to all the asha 303 users in India.

so iam very happy paying just a couple of money for  high speed and unlimited data plans. Thanks to Nokia Asha 303

23 of 36 (2,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 6:22:56 AM
(0)
Expert

This last bill. I used 92KB out of my 2048. I'm on Wifi at home, work and a few other places. I'm probably wasting my $25/mo on my 2GB plan but since that plan isn't available any longer, I think I'll just hang onto it.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

This last bill. I used 92KB out of my 2048. I'm on Wifi at home, work and a few other places. I'm probably wasting my $25/mo on my 2GB plan but since that plan isn't available any longer, I think I'll just hang onto it.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

24 of 36 (2,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2012 7:23:30 PM
(0)
Professor

That's the only reason why I'm still with AT&T....grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan =oP

That's the only reason why I'm still with AT&T....grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan =oP

25 of 36 (2,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 4:16:54 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by ShaunMN on May 8, 2012 at 5:03:36 PM

I typically use 8 to 10mb per month but now AT&T is on some {word filter evasion}TRYING TO LIMIT UNLIMITED PPL FIR GOING OVER PLUS SLOW THEM DOWN!! They probably think ppl are playing on their smart phone!! But no we have budget sheets coming in we have new commercials being e mailed back to back songs photos all kinds of lil things that make running a business better!! BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT U GUYS BUT THAT'S THE ONLY REASON I AM WITH AT&T THE SALES PERSON IS TELLING ME IT'S TRULY UNLIMITED DOSENT MATTER IF U USE 1mb or 10 gbs speed and reliability will always be their hahaha yea they got me?!?

I typically use 8 to 10mb per month but now AT&T is on some {word filter evasion}TRYING TO LIMIT UNLIMITED PPL FIR GOING OVER PLUS SLOW THEM DOWN!! They probably think ppl are playing on their smart phone!! But no we have budget sheets coming in we have new commercials being e mailed back to back songs photos all kinds of lil things that make running a business better!! BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT U GUYS BUT THAT'S THE ONLY REASON I AM WITH AT&T THE SALES PERSON IS TELLING ME IT'S TRULY UNLIMITED DOSENT MATTER IF U USE 1mb or 10 gbs speed and reliability will always be their hahaha yea they got me?!?

[ Edited ]
26 of 36 (2,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 9:58:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
About 2.5g on the network and about 15g in wifi
About 2.5g on the network and about 15g in wifi

27 of 36 (2,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 7:38:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

My wife = under 200 mb

Me = under 200 mb

But that's only because I use the MyAt&t app on my phone to carefully monitor our usage each month.

We have the measly 200mb plans for $15.

I'd love to have more data but $30 for 3000mb (3GB) is just way more than either of us would need.

I'm hoping that At&t finally releases some family shared data plans.

We're paying $30 total now for data. Why can't we just share 3GB?

$30 = 3GB why doesn't $15 = 1.5GB???

I do appreciate having the ATT wifi hotspots though. I noticed my phone automatically connected to a few ATT hotspots recently. One at Sam's Club and also a Starbucks. So that helps keep my usage down.

My wife = under 200 mb

Me = under 200 mb

But that's only because I use the MyAt&t app on my phone to carefully monitor our usage each month.

We have the measly 200mb plans for $15.

I'd love to have more data but $30 for 3000mb (3GB) is just way more than either of us would need.

I'm hoping that At&t finally releases some family shared data plans.

We're paying $30 total now for data. Why can't we just share 3GB?

$30 = 3GB why doesn't $15 = 1.5GB???

I do appreciate having the ATT wifi hotspots though. I noticed my phone automatically connected to a few ATT hotspots recently. One at Sam's Club and also a Starbucks. So that helps keep my usage down.

28 of 36 (2,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 4:24:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have learned the hard way that you don't have to use data to be charged.  When an application updates on smart phones in the middle of the night you are charged for data. 

I have 5 phones on a family plan and I'm paying around $250 a month.  The service and this frustration just isn't worth it. 

Have been an AT&T customer for years, but I'm going to buy out my contracts ASAP and going to another provider.

I have learned the hard way that you don't have to use data to be charged.  When an application updates on smart phones in the middle of the night you are charged for data. 

I have 5 phones on a family plan and I'm paying around $250 a month.  The service and this frustration just isn't worth it. 

Have been an AT&T customer for years, but I'm going to buy out my contracts ASAP and going to another provider.

29 of 36 (2,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2012 4:36:17 PM
(0)
Master

jhsmith wrote:

If this is your reason for leaving AT&T I think you will find that ALL smartphones manage data this way regardless of what wireless carrier they are on. Smiley Wink

jhsmith wrote:

If this is your reason for leaving AT&T I think you will find that ALL smartphones manage data this way regardless of what wireless carrier they are on. Smiley Wink

30 of 36 (2,640 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments