smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

So you have a smart phone and they stuffed a data plan down your throat...

How many megabytes do you consume each month, on average?

What's the most data you've consumed in a month?

Just curious...

TIA,

Mike O

Message 1 of 36 (4,457 Views)
Expert

Re: smart phone users, how much data do you consume? (an informal survey)

Oh wow! I hope you guys have an unlimited data plan, still! I'm waiting to see what my bill will be since this is a first for me..just got a smartphone 3 weeks ago. Luckily enough, I have wifi at work and home. This will be interesting to see..maybe not on this coming bill, but the next one. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 16 of 36 (3,472 Views)

And unless smoshof is on one of the old unlimited broadband card plans, I don't recall there being any unlimited data plans for phones (smart or dumb) that permitted tethering. 

wingrider01 wrote:

smoshof wrote:

I average about 30gigs so far. Theres no cable run out here so I only have internet through my phone. AT&T is a lifesaver with their old unlimited plans.

If you are using that much, expect to get a throttling notification, att is now enforcing the fair use policy of the agreement.

Message 17 of 36 (3,366 Views)

Since 2008, I've averaged about 600MB/month with 300MB low and a high of 1.2GB.

However, on LTE, I've been averaging arounf 3-4GB every month since getting a compatible device.  Difference is because I have a data speeds that are very comparable to WiFi and do not connect to my network as much.

Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 36 (3,237 Views)
Employee

About 2GB a month now, probably that dang blasted YouTube.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 36 (3,231 Views)
Teacher

Wow!  I've had my iPhone for 3 years and I average 200-300MB a month.  I use the Wifi a lot at home and don't have the patience to wait for the network to load when I'm not in a wifi zone, so that's why it's probably low.  I find it hard to use the small browser, etc. too.  But I'm keeping my unlimited data plan just in case Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 36 (3,204 Views)
Contributor

I just started my new spartphone this month and I have used 36 mb from 4-12-12 until now.  I'm learning all about Wi-Fi and I have a question.  Can you listen and download music while on Wi-Fi network, do you get charge a fee. 

Message 21 of 36 (3,088 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

3-4 gigs a month on average. Mostly work related uploads/downloads though. Good thing they pay my bill ;p

Message 22 of 36 (3,083 Views)
Tutor

I can download unlimited data at a very faster 2g speed. i actually use a Nokia Asha 303 and Nokia has recently signed an agreement with Vodafone India to provide assured speed with attractive data plans to all the asha 303 users in India.

so iam very happy paying just a couple of money for  high speed and unlimited data plans. Thanks to Nokia Asha 303

Message 23 of 36 (3,029 Views)
Expert

This last bill. I used 92KB out of my 2048. I'm on Wifi at home, work and a few other places. I'm probably wasting my $25/mo on my 2GB plan but since that plan isn't available any longer, I think I'll just hang onto it.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 24 of 36 (2,943 Views)
Professor

That's the only reason why I'm still with AT&T....grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan =oP

Message 25 of 36 (2,906 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

I typically use 8 to 10mb per month but now AT&T is on some {word filter evasion}TRYING TO LIMIT UNLIMITED PPL FIR GOING OVER PLUS SLOW THEM DOWN!! They probably think ppl are playing on their smart phone!! But no we have budget sheets coming in we have new commercials being e mailed back to back songs photos all kinds of lil things that make running a business better!! BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT U GUYS BUT THAT'S THE ONLY REASON I AM WITH AT&T THE SALES PERSON IS TELLING ME IT'S TRULY UNLIMITED DOSENT MATTER IF U USE 1mb or 10 gbs speed and reliability will always be their hahaha yea they got me?!?

Message 26 of 36 (2,875 Views)
Scholar

About 2.5g on the network and about 15g in wifi
Message 27 of 36 (2,772 Views)
Tutor

My wife = under 200 mb

Me = under 200 mb

But that's only because I use the MyAt&t app on my phone to carefully monitor our usage each month.

We have the measly 200mb plans for $15.

I'd love to have more data but $30 for 3000mb (3GB) is just way more than either of us would need.

I'm hoping that At&t finally releases some family shared data plans.

We're paying $30 total now for data. Why can't we just share 3GB?

$30 = 3GB why doesn't $15 = 1.5GB???

I do appreciate having the ATT wifi hotspots though. I noticed my phone automatically connected to a few ATT hotspots recently. One at Sam's Club and also a Starbucks. So that helps keep my usage down.

Message 28 of 36 (2,744 Views)
Contributor

I have learned the hard way that you don't have to use data to be charged.  When an application updates on smart phones in the middle of the night you are charged for data. 

I have 5 phones on a family plan and I'm paying around $250 a month.  The service and this frustration just isn't worth it. 

Have been an AT&T customer for years, but I'm going to buy out my contracts ASAP and going to another provider.

Message 29 of 36 (2,684 Views)
Master

jhsmith wrote:

I have learned the hard way that you don't have to use data to be charged.  When an application updates on smart phones in the middle of the night you are charged for data. 

I have 5 phones on a family plan and I'm paying around $250 a month.  The service and this frustration just isn't worth it. 

Have been an AT&T customer for years, but I'm going to buy out my contracts ASAP and going to another provider.

If this is your reason for leaving AT&T I think you will find that ALL smartphones manage data this way regardless of what wireless carrier they are on. Smiley Wink
Message 30 of 36 (2,680 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.