Wireless Forums

Posted May 13, 2011
8:29:03 AM
View profile
set up with apple airport express

how do i set up the microcell if i have an apple airport express and a time warner router.  I do not have an empty ethernet jack.  Should the "yellow " cable go from the microcell to the airport?  and what about the other cable?  manual did not specify.  thanks

how do i set up the microcell if i have an apple airport express and a time warner router.  I do not have an empty ethernet jack.  Should the "yellow " cable go from the microcell to the airport?  and what about the other cable?  manual did not specify.  thanks

set up with apple airport express

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 9:15:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

betsy1960 wrote:

I have an AEBS. The WAN ethernet cable goes to the DSL modem. The yellow MicroCell ethernet cable goes to the LAN ethernet port on the AEBS. So it's DSL modem ->AEBS -> MicroCell. What other cable do you have? You could always install another switch for extra ethernet ports if need be.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

betsy1960 wrote:

I have an AEBS. The WAN ethernet cable goes to the DSL modem. The yellow MicroCell ethernet cable goes to the LAN ethernet port on the AEBS. So it's DSL modem ->AEBS -> MicroCell. What other cable do you have? You could always install another switch for extra ethernet ports if need be.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: set up with apple airport express

2 of 5 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 9:19:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

Express soes not have 2 ethernet outlets so do I need to buy a switch ?

3 of 5 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 9:59:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

betsy1960 wrote:

I've never setup an Apple Express so are you using it as your router (assigning IP addresses etc) and the Time Warner "router" as your cable/DSL modem? My DSL modem is setup so that everything passes straight thru to the Apple Extreme Base Station and the AEBS does all of the networking. If your  Time Warner modem is doing all of the networking, then you'll need to add an ethernet switch to it so that you have an extra port to connect the yellow ethernet cable from the MicroCell, if I undestand  your setup. In that case, you'll be bypassing the Apple Express all together. If your Apple Express is doing all of the networking and it is connected to the Time Warner modem via the single ethernet port, then you'll need to add the switch to the Apple Express.

betsy1960 wrote:

I've never setup an Apple Express so are you using it as your router (assigning IP addresses etc) and the Time Warner "router" as your cable/DSL modem? My DSL modem is setup so that everything passes straight thru to the Apple Extreme Base Station and the AEBS does all of the networking. If your  Time Warner modem is doing all of the networking, then you'll need to add an ethernet switch to it so that you have an extra port to connect the yellow ethernet cable from the MicroCell, if I undestand  your setup. In that case, you'll be bypassing the Apple Express all together. If your Apple Express is doing all of the networking and it is connected to the Time Warner modem via the single ethernet port, then you'll need to add the switch to the Apple Express.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 6:43:17 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on May 13, 2011 at 6:44:58 PM

If you're using an AirPort Express, then either you have no wired Ethernet devices at all (not counting your cable modem and the AE itself), or your cable modem is a router and you have your AE set up in bridge mode, or you have a "double NAT' configuration, which is an error.

If your ISP modem is acting as a router, then your AE should be in bridge mode. If that's the case, then you can indeed add a switch and/or hub to share your router with the AE.

If your ISP modem is acting as a dumb modem, then your AE is configured as a router and you have no other wired devices. In this case, your only choice would be to set up the "priority mode" configuration. Plug the Microcell in between the modem and the AE (plug the AE into the "computer" port on the Microcell).

If the priority mode configuration either doesn't work, or you don't like it for some other reason, then you have no choice but to buy a router to replace the AE so that you can have simultaneous Ethernet and wireless connections.

If you're using an AirPort Express, then either you have no wired Ethernet devices at all (not counting your cable modem and the AE itself), or your cable modem is a router and you have your AE set up in bridge mode, or you have a "double NAT' configuration, which is an error.

If your ISP modem is acting as a router, then your AE should be in bridge mode. If that's the case, then you can indeed add a switch and/or hub to share your router with the AE.

If your ISP modem is acting as a dumb modem, then your AE is configured as a router and you have no other wired devices. In this case, your only choice would be to set up the "priority mode" configuration. Plug the Microcell in between the modem and the AE (plug the AE into the "computer" port on the Microcell).

If the priority mode configuration either doesn't work, or you don't like it for some other reason, then you have no choice but to buy a router to replace the AE so that you can have simultaneous Ethernet and wireless connections.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (1,376 Views)