Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 13, 2011
7:15:16 AM
View profile
red blinking signal light

every day tthe signal light on my miicrocell flashes red, it is increasingly getting worse. I have  powered it down  have reset it I have done all  can do, is there a fix for this?

every day tthe signal light on my miicrocell flashes red, it is increasingly getting worse. I have  powered it down  have reset it I have done all  can do, is there a fix for this?

red blinking signal light

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 10:17:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
A little more info would be nice. Is this a brand new MicroCell? Did it ever work before? Which light is blinking red, GPS, internet, 3G? How do you have it setup?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

A little more info would be nice. Is this a brand new MicroCell? Did it ever work before? Which light is blinking red, GPS, internet, 3G? How do you have it setup?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: red blinking signal light

2 of 8 (4,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 12:51:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

it is set up running through my wireless ruter, yes it is brand new  i have had it since nov 1. it is the signal light that is blinking red

it is set up running through my wireless ruter, yes it is brand new  i have had it since nov 1. it is the signal light that is blinking red

3 of 8 (4,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 1:50:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hasan_1 wrote:

Well, that's a little more information. By signal light I'm assuming you mean the 3G light is blinking red and the power light, internet light, and GPS light are solid green. Since you've had it from Nov. 1st, did it ever work at all or is this a recent occurence?

The nominal setup is: modem -> router -> MicroCell. 18" away from a window with an open view of the sky and at least 2' away from any other WiFi device. Make sure that your internet speeds are sufficient and that your MicroCell has been properly registered (the MicroCell's sn is under your AT&T account/phone number). Sometimes re-registering the device will work.

I have mine on the same power strip as my DSL gateway and router so when I power cycle, all three devices power up/down at the same time. It just makes it easier.

If you call support one of the first things they will do is probably blame your ISP so make sure that your internet connection is solid, plenty enough minimum speed (1-3Mbps down), and that your ISP doesn't have periodic outages. The MicroCell doesn't handle interruptions very gracefully.

Depending on which router you have you may have to do port forwarding and assign a permanent ip address to the MicroCell. That shouldn't be the case but some (myself included) had to do that to get it work reliably. Go into your router's diagnostics or whatever and see if it can even "see" the MicroCell in it's current configuration. Another thing you can do/check is set the MicroCell in priority mode: modem -> MicroCell -> router. That puts the MicroCell between your modem and router and effectively rules out any problems with the modem (depending on how your ISP has the modem configured). If you get a solid green 3G light, then the problem probably lies with the way the router is configured and depeding on which router you have, there are some things you can check/set.

hasan_1 wrote:

Well, that's a little more information. By signal light I'm assuming you mean the 3G light is blinking red and the power light, internet light, and GPS light are solid green. Since you've had it from Nov. 1st, did it ever work at all or is this a recent occurence?

The nominal setup is: modem -> router -> MicroCell. 18" away from a window with an open view of the sky and at least 2' away from any other WiFi device. Make sure that your internet speeds are sufficient and that your MicroCell has been properly registered (the MicroCell's sn is under your AT&T account/phone number). Sometimes re-registering the device will work.

I have mine on the same power strip as my DSL gateway and router so when I power cycle, all three devices power up/down at the same time. It just makes it easier.

If you call support one of the first things they will do is probably blame your ISP so make sure that your internet connection is solid, plenty enough minimum speed (1-3Mbps down), and that your ISP doesn't have periodic outages. The MicroCell doesn't handle interruptions very gracefully.

Depending on which router you have you may have to do port forwarding and assign a permanent ip address to the MicroCell. That shouldn't be the case but some (myself included) had to do that to get it work reliably. Go into your router's diagnostics or whatever and see if it can even "see" the MicroCell in it's current configuration. Another thing you can do/check is set the MicroCell in priority mode: modem -> MicroCell -> router. That puts the MicroCell between your modem and router and effectively rules out any problems with the modem (depending on how your ISP has the modem configured). If you get a solid green 3G light, then the problem probably lies with the way the router is configured and depeding on which router you have, there are some things you can check/set.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (4,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 7:13:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here. The microcell worked fine for well over a year and then suddenly I started getting the red blinking 3G light a few weeks ago, right around the time others started reporting the same issue. Seems pretty obvious that AT&T pushed some kind of software update to the microcell that didn't go very well. Hopefully they'll figure it out and push another update to correct it.

Same issue here. The microcell worked fine for well over a year and then suddenly I started getting the red blinking 3G light a few weeks ago, right around the time others started reporting the same issue. Seems pretty obvious that AT&T pushed some kind of software update to the microcell that didn't go very well. Hopefully they'll figure it out and push another update to correct it.

5 of 8 (4,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 6:44:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here. - 

My setup is modem to router to micro cell. All computers connect via wifi. PS3, Apple TV and Microcell connected via ethernet. Micro cell is apx 2 feet away from wireless router. - The 3G light is the light that is blinking red. However, my cell iPhone still seems to be connecting to it, and working... 

Same issue here. - 

My setup is modem to router to micro cell. All computers connect via wifi. PS3, Apple TV and Microcell connected via ethernet. Micro cell is apx 2 feet away from wireless router. - The 3G light is the light that is blinking red. However, my cell iPhone still seems to be connecting to it, and working... 

6 of 8 (4,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 9:51:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
AT&T updated the system a few weeks ago (various service areas at different times) and it apparently didn't go exactly as planned. If you have the blinking red 3G light, and still have service, I'd just power cycle and see if the blinking red light turns solid green. That worked for me. When the unit reset itself after the update, for some reason it still thought there was an update in progress or the update failed. The fact that you can still make and receive calls, and your phone says AT&T MicroCell on it, indicates that you're ok (whatever that means for the MicroCell). Calling support won't do any good as most of you have discovered. If you don't have service with the blinking red 3G light, and you did before, then unfortunately you'll have to call support cause the update may have locked your unit. Be polite but be insistent. And document the problem, who you talked to, when, and what you were told in case you have to move on up the chain.

AT&T updated the system a few weeks ago (various service areas at different times) and it apparently didn't go exactly as planned. If you have the blinking red 3G light, and still have service, I'd just power cycle and see if the blinking red light turns solid green. That worked for me. When the unit reset itself after the update, for some reason it still thought there was an update in progress or the update failed. The fact that you can still make and receive calls, and your phone says AT&T MicroCell on it, indicates that you're ok (whatever that means for the MicroCell). Calling support won't do any good as most of you have discovered. If you don't have service with the blinking red 3G light, and you did before, then unfortunately you'll have to call support cause the update may have locked your unit. Be polite but be insistent. And document the problem, who you talked to, when, and what you were told in case you have to move on up the chain.

7 of 8 (4,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 10:38:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ok - just finished with support.

They had me do all the connecty stuff that we all have typically already tried.

Here was the weirdness...

They had me go here:

https://www.att.com/olam/loginAction.olamexecute?target=FOAMS

and log in to my microcell account. When I did that, it acted like I had never registered before. I had to put the serial number in, etc. It kept all my approved users, etc.

The tech was going to have me deactivate/reactivate but it wasn't necessary after the serial number bit.

Your mileage may vary...

Ok - just finished with support.

They had me do all the connecty stuff that we all have typically already tried.

Here was the weirdness...

They had me go here:

https://www.att.com/olam/loginAction.olamexecute?target=FOAMS

and log in to my microcell account. When I did that, it acted like I had never registered before. I had to put the serial number in, etc. It kept all my approved users, etc.

The tech was going to have me deactivate/reactivate but it wasn't necessary after the serial number bit.

Your mileage may vary...

8 of 8 (4,136 Views)