Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 22, 2011
6:52:39 AM
"rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying"

I have an iPhone 3GS and after a recent software update cannot send emails from one of my accounts.  I have tried resetting the smtp many times, and although have all the correct information, this never works.  The account worked for two years fine until the software update.  I get the message "rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying" no matter how I try to send--via wireless, 3G.  Cannot find any solution.

I have an iPhone 3GS and after a recent software update cannot send emails from one of my accounts.  I have tried resetting the smtp many times, and although have all the correct information, this never works.  The account worked for two years fine until the software update.  I get the message "rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying" no matter how I try to send--via wireless, 3G.  Cannot find any solution.

"rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying"

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 7:43:34 AM
(0)
Professor

This thread over at the Apple forum has instructions that might work for you.

This thread over at the Apple forum has instructions that might work for you.

Re: "rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying"

2 of 10 (15,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 10:56:46 AM
(0)
Expert

rfogarty wrote:

what email service is it and does the email address actually reside on that service or is it a forwarded email address?

rfogarty wrote:

what email service is it and does the email address actually reside on that service or is it a forwarded email address?

3 of 10 (15,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 1:59:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your response.  The service is Free (www.free.fr), and I have no reason to believe that the address, which is the only one I've ever used, is not the one that resides on the server.  I used the account via my iPhone for two years with no problems, and the only thing that seems to have changed is a software update on the phone.

Thanks for your response.  The service is Free (www.free.fr), and I have no reason to believe that the address, which is the only one I've ever used, is not the one that resides on the server.  I used the account via my iPhone for two years with no problems, and the only thing that seems to have changed is a software update on the phone.

4 of 10 (15,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 2:00:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for this, but I had already seen that thread and tried everything it suggests, to no avail.

Thanks for this, but I had already seen that thread and tried everything it suggests, to no avail.

5 of 10 (15,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 7:30:18 PM
(0)
Mentor
I had the same problem. On second page of set-up at top there are two headings on mine. One is IMAP and this was highlighted and when I proceeded with setting up e-mail, I got the same. Set it up under second option, POP and problem was solved
I had the same problem. On second page of set-up at top there are two headings on mine. One is IMAP and this was highlighted and when I proceeded with setting up e-mail, I got the same. Set it up under second option, POP and problem was solved

6 of 10 (15,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 12:22:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your help, but changing to POP would, I believe, negate the value of having an IMAP connection (which leaves messages on the server so one can view them from any device until they are manually deleted; POP downloads the mails to the device, and so they are no longer available when checking from another device).

Thanks for your help, but changing to POP would, I believe, negate the value of having an IMAP connection (which leaves messages on the server so one can view them from any device until they are manually deleted; POP downloads the mails to the device, and so they are no longer available when checking from another device).

7 of 10 (14,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 12:37:03 PM
(0)
Former Employee

rfogarty wrote:

Not true. When setting up a POP account, you have the option of leaving messages on the server.

rfogarty wrote:

Not true. When setting up a POP account, you have the option of leaving messages on the server.

8 of 10 (14,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 11:39:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks everyone for your help, but nothing has worked.  I'm at my wits end with this.  Many iPhone and IPad users seem to have had this problem beginning in November or December, after a software upgrade around that time, but none of the fixes anyone has suggested seem to make any difference.  I have no idea what smtp server to use (cwmx.com doesn't seem to work either) to send email from this account, even though I have the correct username and password information (and I can send from that account on other devices) and it worked just fine on the iPhone for two years before.

Thanks everyone for your help, but nothing has worked.  I'm at my wits end with this.  Many iPhone and IPad users seem to have had this problem beginning in November or December, after a software upgrade around that time, but none of the fixes anyone has suggested seem to make any difference.  I have no idea what smtp server to use (cwmx.com doesn't seem to work either) to send email from this account, even though I have the correct username and password information (and I can send from that account on other devices) and it worked just fine on the iPhone for two years before.

9 of 10 (14,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 4:34:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

rfogarty wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help, but nothing has worked.  I'm at my wits end with this. ...

The "...server does not allow relaying..." error is a mail server side issue.  These issues can be a royal pain to resolve and with some servers, you never will.

The problem is the core of how SMTP (outgoing email) works.  SMTP is essentially a direct server connection.  If you connect to an SMTP server, you have 3 basic options:

1. You are an internal user and you are sending an email out to someone else on that server or enaywhere else.
  2. You are an external server and you are attempting to deliver mail to a user on that server.
  3. You are an external user and you are attempting to deliver mail to a user on that server or another server.

Option 1 is where most people fall with their ISP and it's mail server.  You are connected via the ISP so when you try to send email, you are on their internal network and they know who you are by your IP address.  Based on this, they can let you send messages because if they get complaints, they know who you are.

Option 2 is what happens when a user at option 1 connects to their ISP's server to send emal to a friend on another ISP.  You connect to your ISP's mail server and it connects to their mail server and hands it off for you.

Option 3 is where many spammers live, and regretfully where many smart phone users live too.  When you are on your iPhone's 3G network, you are no longer on their internal network, so they don't know who you are, they only know that you have an IP address that is managed by AT&T wireless.  When you attempt to send an outbound email and the recpient is not on the same server, then you are an external user asking this mail server to relay your message to the real server.  Once a spammer finds a mail server that will do this, they happily use that server to send out thousands of SPAM messages an hour until they are cut off.  Many ISP's do offer a way to validate yourself wen you are connecting externally so they know who sent the messages when they get a report of abuse, but not all ISP's do this, and some don't do it well.

I manage my own domain and mail servers on the internet, so I am never connecting to my mail server from within an internal network, so for me to send emails, I must allow myself an authentication method.  I know that in the past when I had AT&T DSL service at home, I could only send outbound SMTP using their servers, and to do that I had to authenticate as an AT&T user (which would alter the "From:" line on the emails making it look like it was sent from my AT&T account and not the account/domain I wanted.  This was how AT&T's DSL division handled the mail server authentication.  I believe that Google does similar if you use their email servers. It sounds like the SMTP server you are trying to connect to does nto see you as an internal user, and it doesn't seem to be authencating you as a valid external user, so since your email is not to an internal user, it thinks you are trying to "relay" (send spam) and it doesn't allow it.  If you are authenticating to the mail server, then most likely, you have one of the servers that just doesn't support external connections.

I'm not sure what SMTP server you are trying to use, or what you have tried.  I can tell you that with some servers, it is nearly impossible to get them to properly send email out from your iPhone while on the AT&T cellular data network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

rfogarty wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help, but nothing has worked.  I'm at my wits end with this. ...

The "...server does not allow relaying..." error is a mail server side issue.  These issues can be a royal pain to resolve and with some servers, you never will.

The problem is the core of how SMTP (outgoing email) works.  SMTP is essentially a direct server connection.  If you connect to an SMTP server, you have 3 basic options:

1. You are an internal user and you are sending an email out to someone else on that server or enaywhere else.
  2. You are an external server and you are attempting to deliver mail to a user on that server.
  3. You are an external user and you are attempting to deliver mail to a user on that server or another server.

Option 1 is where most people fall with their ISP and it's mail server.  You are connected via the ISP so when you try to send email, you are on their internal network and they know who you are by your IP address.  Based on this, they can let you send messages because if they get complaints, they know who you are.

Option 2 is what happens when a user at option 1 connects to their ISP's server to send emal to a friend on another ISP.  You connect to your ISP's mail server and it connects to their mail server and hands it off for you.

Option 3 is where many spammers live, and regretfully where many smart phone users live too.  When you are on your iPhone's 3G network, you are no longer on their internal network, so they don't know who you are, they only know that you have an IP address that is managed by AT&T wireless.  When you attempt to send an outbound email and the recpient is not on the same server, then you are an external user asking this mail server to relay your message to the real server.  Once a spammer finds a mail server that will do this, they happily use that server to send out thousands of SPAM messages an hour until they are cut off.  Many ISP's do offer a way to validate yourself wen you are connecting externally so they know who sent the messages when they get a report of abuse, but not all ISP's do this, and some don't do it well.

I manage my own domain and mail servers on the internet, so I am never connecting to my mail server from within an internal network, so for me to send emails, I must allow myself an authentication method.  I know that in the past when I had AT&T DSL service at home, I could only send outbound SMTP using their servers, and to do that I had to authenticate as an AT&T user (which would alter the "From:" line on the emails making it look like it was sent from my AT&T account and not the account/domain I wanted.  This was how AT&T's DSL division handled the mail server authentication.  I believe that Google does similar if you use their email servers. It sounds like the SMTP server you are trying to connect to does nto see you as an internal user, and it doesn't seem to be authencating you as a valid external user, so since your email is not to an internal user, it thinks you are trying to "relay" (send spam) and it doesn't allow it.  If you are authenticating to the mail server, then most likely, you have one of the servers that just doesn't support external connections.

I'm not sure what SMTP server you are trying to use, or what you have tried.  I can tell you that with some servers, it is nearly impossible to get them to properly send email out from your iPhone while on the AT&T cellular data network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 10 (14,806 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments