Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2009
6:58:06 PM
"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!
Edited by pamelaz on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:22:03 PM

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

Regards,

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:03 PM

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

Regards,

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:03 PM

"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!

[ Edited ]
66 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(66)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 1:19:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
Awesome. Glad I could help.
Awesome. Glad I could help.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

61 of 67 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 1:29:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

LOL.  Smiley Happy

scott.vincent wrote:

Cellnewbie09,

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

Scott

LOL.  Smiley Happy

scott.vincent wrote:

Cellnewbie09,

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

62 of 67 (193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 1:42:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

blakkheartt12 wrote:

Cabbit-sama wrote:
You would be breaking terms of service if you did that. If you want to use a particular device you must follow the rules. Besides, even though you switch sim cards at&t can still 'see' what phone you are actually using. I know this by personal experience.

At&t can only see their branded phones. I have an unlocked unbranded phone and At&t cannot determine what phone I have. I even gave them the IMEI number and the rep asked me what type of phone it was because they couldnt bring it up. So if you buy an unlocked smartphone you can keep your old data plan since you are not agreeing to a new TOS. I only pay $10/month on the family plan.

Exactly. I used unbranded smartphones and I can tell that ATT cannot tell which phone I use. As you said, even providing them with the IMEI they cannot tell.

blakkheartt12 wrote:

Cabbit-sama wrote:
You would be breaking terms of service if you did that. If you want to use a particular device you must follow the rules. Besides, even though you switch sim cards at&t can still 'see' what phone you are actually using. I know this by personal experience.

At&t can only see their branded phones. I have an unlocked unbranded phone and At&t cannot determine what phone I have. I even gave them the IMEI number and the rep asked me what type of phone it was because they couldnt bring it up. So if you buy an unlocked smartphone you can keep your old data plan since you are not agreeing to a new TOS. I only pay $10/month on the family plan.

Exactly. I used unbranded smartphones and I can tell that ATT cannot tell which phone I use. As you said, even providing them with the IMEI they cannot tell.

63 of 67 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 5:06:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
What does unbranded mean?  How/where do I get one?  I really want a SmartPhone (I just haven't found one that I like yet) but am afraid of being locked into a Forced Data Plan Forever.
What does unbranded mean?  How/where do I get one?  I really want a SmartPhone (I just haven't found one that I like yet) but am afraid of being locked into a Forced Data Plan Forever.

64 of 67 (165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 8:32:06 PM
(0)
Master

Unbranded means it unlocked from the manufacture.  It was not sold by a cellular carrier and does not have a carriers logo on it.  When a carrier sells a phone is locked to that carrier so it only accepts their SIM card. 

There are lots of places on the net that sell unlocked phones.  You just have to search for the one you want.

Unbranded means it unlocked from the manufacture.  It was not sold by a cellular carrier and does not have a carriers logo on it.  When a carrier sells a phone is locked to that carrier so it only accepts their SIM card. 

There are lots of places on the net that sell unlocked phones.  You just have to search for the one you want.

65 of 67 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 5:44:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
wait but if i get a blackberry that i bought for full price and put an already activated sim in it will tehy still make me have a data plan?
wait but if i get a blackberry that i bought for full price and put an already activated sim in it will tehy still make me have a data plan?

66 of 67 (136 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2009 8:48:27 AM
(0)
Expert

aho2324 wrote:

If you bought it from ATT, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it...it needs a data plan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

aho2324 wrote:

If you bought it from ATT, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it...it needs a data plan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

67 of 67 (124 Views)