"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!

Scholar

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

Awesome. Glad I could help.
Message 61 of 67 (197 Views)

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

LOL.  Smiley Happy

scott.vincent wrote:

Cellnewbie09,

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

Scott

Message 62 of 67 (195 Views)
Scholar

blakkheartt12 wrote:

Cabbit-sama wrote:
You would be breaking terms of service if you did that. If you want to use a particular device you must follow the rules. Besides, even though you switch sim cards at&t can still 'see' what phone you are actually using. I know this by personal experience.

At&t can only see their branded phones. I have an unlocked unbranded phone and At&t cannot determine what phone I have. I even gave them the IMEI number and the rep asked me what type of phone it was because they couldnt bring it up. So if you buy an unlocked smartphone you can keep your old data plan since you are not agreeing to a new TOS. I only pay $10/month on the family plan.

Exactly. I used unbranded smartphones and I can tell that ATT cannot tell which phone I use. As you said, even providing them with the IMEI they cannot tell.
Message 63 of 67 (191 Views)
Highlighted

What does unbranded mean?  How/where do I get one?  I really want a SmartPhone (I just haven't found one that I like yet) but am afraid of being locked into a Forced Data Plan Forever.
Message 64 of 67 (167 Views)
Master

Unbranded means it unlocked from the manufacture.  It was not sold by a cellular carrier and does not have a carriers logo on it.  When a carrier sells a phone is locked to that carrier so it only accepts their SIM card. 

There are lots of places on the net that sell unlocked phones.  You just have to search for the one you want.

Message 65 of 67 (160 Views)
Tutor

wait but if i get a blackberry that i bought for full price and put an already activated sim in it will tehy still make me have a data plan?
Message 66 of 67 (138 Views)

aho2324 wrote:
wait but if i get a blackberry that i bought for full price and put an already activated sim in it will tehy still make me have a data plan?

If you bought it from ATT, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it...it needs a data plan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 67 of 67 (126 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.