"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!

Tutor

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.
Message 16 of 67
Tutor

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.
Message 17 of 67
Scholar

I'm guessing a little bit here, but....   As Smartphones become more and more sophisticated, I tend to see that they automatically access the data network, for various reasons, more and more.  The iPhone is a perfect example, so I would assume that many of the iPhone beaters-to-be, follow that same premise?

If AT&T didn't put such a rule in place, regarding data plans, I would bet they'd be flooded with calls from people who suimply don't understand smartphones and were surprised by large unintended data access bills.   Not everyone is a sophisitcated user, right?  

Message 18 of 67
Professor

michcaso wrote:
When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.
There's a difference between dumbphones and smart phones. If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be getting a smartphone. Sorry if that sounds mean, but There's more things a smart phone can do than what you listed. Dumbphones have what you listed, but it sure can't do what my E71, iPhones can do.
Message 19 of 67
Tutor

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.

Message 20 of 67

michcaso wrote:
The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.

Have you tried to purchase a Sprint PDA/smartphone lately?  That is no longer the case with Sprextel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 21 of 67
Scholar

You are right and you are wrong.

Yes, you have the right to do any thing you want with your phone once you buy it.

However, if you want to use it on ATT's network you have to abide by their rules.

if you don't like ATT's rules you are free to exercise your right to try using it on someone else's network and then you will have to abide by their rules. You can even make your own network and make up your own rules.

michcaso wrote:

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.

Message 22 of 67
Highlighted

scott.vincent wrote:
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

Agreed.  You should be able to have any phone you want with only the features and services you want.  If you dont want data and are never going to use it, you should NOT be required to pay for it.  Period.

Okay, so now what if I get laid off and I cant afford to buy beer anymore, I am going to stop buying beer.  If I dont drink, then I shouldnt be forced to buy beer.

In other words...IT IS DUMB that ppl are forced to pay for services that they have no need for and will not use.

Message 23 of 67

Thank you all for your comments; the antogonizers and the defenders of freedom. This is what makes America great! 

Glad to see I am not the only one upset about this, I was beginning to wonder.

As one poster put it, while living ATT's house, live by ATT's rules.

Never agreed with it when I was 17, but understand it more now and still dont agree with it! But what are we going to do? 

Regards,

Scott

Message 24 of 67

Cellnewbie09,

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

Scott

Message 25 of 67
Tutor

I think my whole reason for posting here was to receive some support and in one little way, let AT&T know that we customers are not happy and this is not what we're looking for.  There will always be people out there who will throw their hands up and say, 'Well, it's the rules...what can ya do?"  My response is...we can do this.  And, we can (as I was so reminded) take our business elsewhere.  Just because there is a trend of data usage, it does not mean that the majority of people are ok with manditory payment of this.  I did find that there is this "grandfather clause" that was mentioned somewhere (maybe it was another forum) and that anyone who has had smartphones prior to Sept. 6th does not have to have a data plan if they didn't already have it.  That is a small silver lining for me, and that is the only reason I went ahead and purchased a new phone for my son - a NON smartphone, by the way.  I could never afford the plan with 3 phones all on a data plan...I can barely afford it now!
Message 26 of 67
Mentor

I know, so freaking ridiculous!! I was going to buy the refurbished Samsung Jack -- BUT NOW!!! Oh heck no. This is ridiculous, I don't even use the Internet that much; I'm really P.O.ed, I was looking forward to this until I figured this out.

AT&T officially FAILS.

Message 27 of 67
Professor

Seriously if they FAIL why are you still customers with them? If I were you I'd be on a different carrier by now.
Message 28 of 67
Mentor

"Vera: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support.  How may I assist you with placing your order today?

Logan D.: Is it really REQUIRED to have a data plan with a smart phone? Personally, I think that is ridiculous -- where is the freedom? If I want a smart phone that I don't wanna use the Internet on it I still have to get the data plans? With the minimum being thirty dollars per MONTH?

Vera: Hello!  I will be happy to assist you today.

Vera: Yes, all PDA/Smartphones require a data plan.  It is not just for AT&T.  As of September 6, 2009, all carriers have them required."

Talked with a sales representative, look what they said.

Message 29 of 67
Professor

Other carriers had it for years prior to AT&T doing so. I wouldn't be surprised if all carriers do away with PPU data, and anyphone will have to get a data plan. With the way phones are becoming more and more data intensive and people crying about data charges when they use certain apps and "accidently" go on the Internet. People have been crying for years about this kinda stuff.

Message 30 of 67
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support