Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Sep 18, 2009
6:58:06 PM
"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!
Edited by pamelaz on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:22:03 PM

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

 

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

 

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

 

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

 

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

 

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

 

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

 

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

 

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

 

Regards,

 

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:03 PM

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

 

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

 

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

 

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

 

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

 

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

 

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

 

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

 

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

 

Regards,

 

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:03 PM

"All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS!

[ Edited ]
706 views
66 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(66)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 7:19:22 PM
0
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pamelaz on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:22:51 PM

scott.vincent wrote:

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

 

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

 

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

 

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

 

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

 

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

 

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

 

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

 

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

 

Regards,

 

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}



"Pin-Head" LOL.  Thats funny, and the customer no service never gets old... Smiley Happy 

 

I understand youre upset, but i gotta say, sounds like youre all over the map in your post.  But I would take a deep breath and relax for a bit, cuz I believe (could be wrong tho) that the required data plans are for new purchases (starting this month).  So, if you bought your BB 2 years ago, I think you are grandfathered in.  You shouldn't be required to retain a data plan for that BB if you bought before the start date of the new policy.

 

You might wanna check into that.  And even tho I agree with you in how HORRIBLE customer service is, new policies can be really hard for ppl to understand and I would give some slack (unlike me to say this) to customer service.

 

I must stress, however, I am not sure but I THINK you are grandfathered in for your BB.  As far as a new iphone, yeah you are forced to have a data plan.  Sucks, i know.  One of the main reasons why I didn't buy one.

 

Good Luck.  (also, not a good idea to put personal info on here)

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:51 PM

scott.vincent wrote:

Called into ATT to discuss upgrading my 2-3 year old BB 8310 to an iPhone 3GS 32 GB device to support my business. I informed the front line operator that I wanted to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 3GS 32GB, but wanted to remove all of the data plan capabilities and internet access from my BB 8310 and then give to my wife who only wants the added capabilites of the BB camera etc from her old phone.

 

The idea was to give my wife a bit more upgraded hardware without all of the new multi-media and email stuff that I live by, but she doesnt want.

 

I was told by the front line CUSTOMER NO SERVICE pin-head that even though I fulfilled my 2-year contrat with ATT for my BB, that I had to retain the Data Plan at $30 or more per month and that I could not use the 8310 for just a phone, it had to be used as a SMARTPHONE was intended to be used, "that is what they were made for, why would you want to use it for just a phone?!"

 

My understanding is that I bought the phone, I could use the phone however I deemed necessary AFTER the 2-year agreement was fulfilled. I fully understand that the price of the phone includes specail plans that must be subscribed to for the 2-year agreement, but do not understand why or how I can be forced into using the device as a SMARTPHONE after my agreement is over, when the phone is fully capable of being just a PHONE.

 

The supervisor, BRIDGETTE {Personal content removed} Operator ID UNKOWN as it was refused to be given to me when I requested it 2 times, stated something different. She stated that as of 06 Sept 09, if any SMARTPHONE was "purchased" as part of an initial plan or part of an upgrade from an existing phone, the device would have to be subscribed to a DATA PLAN of $30 or higher for the LIFE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ATT PHONE NETWORK! EVEN AFTER the 2-year agreement was fullfilled.

 

So how can ATT say that you have PURCHASED the phone? You have not, you are only renting the phone to be LEACHED off of by ATT!

 

This is supposed to be in the TERMS AND CONDITIONS currently "Readily available for viewing on the ATT.com website." (Bridgette {Personal content removed}). It took Ms. {Personal content removed} over 10 minutes to find it and she is familiar with the ATT.com website. Another ATT scam to hide the Devil in the Details as Clark Howard would say.

 

BEWARE of this issue and be an INFORMED CONSUMER! I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but I will say he has companies like this one, who are UNETHICAL in their business practices and I hope he has an affect on putting them out of business or bring them back to TRUE NORTH to allow all consumers to be aware of their rights and freedoms.

 

I am sure this will not be addressed by ATT, but I do feel better in writing it as maybe ONE PERSON may be helped by it.

 

Regards,

 

Scott

{Personal content removed for your saftey}



"Pin-Head" LOL.  Thats funny, and the customer no service never gets old... Smiley Happy 

 

I understand youre upset, but i gotta say, sounds like youre all over the map in your post.  But I would take a deep breath and relax for a bit, cuz I believe (could be wrong tho) that the required data plans are for new purchases (starting this month).  So, if you bought your BB 2 years ago, I think you are grandfathered in.  You shouldn't be required to retain a data plan for that BB if you bought before the start date of the new policy.

 

You might wanna check into that.  And even tho I agree with you in how HORRIBLE customer service is, new policies can be really hard for ppl to understand and I would give some slack (unlike me to say this) to customer service.

 

I must stress, however, I am not sure but I THINK you are grandfathered in for your BB.  As far as a new iphone, yeah you are forced to have a data plan.  Sucks, i know.  One of the main reasons why I didn't buy one.

 

Good Luck.  (also, not a good idea to put personal info on here)

Message Edited by pamelaz on 09-18-2009 10:22:51 PM

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

[ Edited ]
2 of 67 (690 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 7:32:26 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, I tried to be somewhat fluid in describing my situation, but a bit ticked.

 

I am covered for my OLD BB, so I can use it as a phone, per Bridgette.

 

However, any new phone added or upgraded to would require a DATA plan for the 2-year agreement AND for anytime thereafter, WHICH I DO NOT AGREE WITH and neither should anyone else.

 

But it IS within the rights of ATT to do so, it is BIG business isnt it?!

 

Thanks for looking out for my personal privacy, I know better but just didnt care this time and was quite upset about the whole CUSTOMER NO SERVICE thing our Radio Personality in Atlanta, Clark Howard at www.clarkhoward.com, warns us about.

 

Stay informed, be aware and stay safe.

 

Scott

Yeah, I tried to be somewhat fluid in describing my situation, but a bit ticked.

 

I am covered for my OLD BB, so I can use it as a phone, per Bridgette.

 

However, any new phone added or upgraded to would require a DATA plan for the 2-year agreement AND for anytime thereafter, WHICH I DO NOT AGREE WITH and neither should anyone else.

 

But it IS within the rights of ATT to do so, it is BIG business isnt it?!

 

Thanks for looking out for my personal privacy, I know better but just didnt care this time and was quite upset about the whole CUSTOMER NO SERVICE thing our Radio Personality in Atlanta, Clark Howard at www.clarkhoward.com, warns us about.

 

Stay informed, be aware and stay safe.

 

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

3 of 67 (680 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 9:00:28 PM
0
(0)
Guru

Did Obama buy ATT?

 

Regarding the data plan thing...I can under your point on that.  I think is due to the number of people that were using all of the features that a BB has to offer using only a MediaNet package.  I seem to remember seeing tons of posts regarding data charges stemming from this.  There was (in the past anyways) a whole lot of confusion regarding BB data plans vs MediaNet packages and which could be used,  so somebody decided to just make the data plans a requirement.

Did Obama buy ATT?

 

Regarding the data plan thing...I can under your point on that.  I think is due to the number of people that were using all of the features that a BB has to offer using only a MediaNet package.  I seem to remember seeing tons of posts regarding data charges stemming from this.  There was (in the past anyways) a whole lot of confusion regarding BB data plans vs MediaNet packages and which could be used,  so somebody decided to just make the data plans a requirement.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

4 of 67 (667 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 8:08:27 AM
0
(0)
Guru
wow what's really the point of getting upset or frustrated over this issue as the other major carriers have been doing the same required data plans for years. the only difference is customers don't realize because the data plan is built into their rate plan for how many mins they have. AT&T is one of the only carriers that charges seperate features from their rate plans. The required data plan for ALL smartphones is if a line is either added to the account w/ a smartphone, you upgrade an existing line to a smartphone or even if you have an existing line & you activate a smartphone that you already have to it. This is due to the increasing number of complaints & bill adjustment requests from customers who buy high end devices w/ intention of not using them for their full capability but get charged "unknowingly" so to prevent this & protect themselves AT&T requires the data plan because that's what the phones are made for right!!! Besides they have basic quick messaging phones w/ full html browsers & those don't require the data plan. Smartphones are any that use an OS either Symbian, Windows, BBerry Internet Service or Safari.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
wow what's really the point of getting upset or frustrated over this issue as the other major carriers have been doing the same required data plans for years. the only difference is customers don't realize because the data plan is built into their rate plan for how many mins they have. AT&T is one of the only carriers that charges seperate features from their rate plans. The required data plan for ALL smartphones is if a line is either added to the account w/ a smartphone, you upgrade an existing line to a smartphone or even if you have an existing line & you activate a smartphone that you already have to it. This is due to the increasing number of complaints & bill adjustment requests from customers who buy high end devices w/ intention of not using them for their full capability but get charged "unknowingly" so to prevent this & protect themselves AT&T requires the data plan because that's what the phones are made for right!!! Besides they have basic quick messaging phones w/ full html browsers & those don't require the data plan. Smartphones are any that use an OS either Symbian, Windows, BBerry Internet Service or Safari.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

5 of 67 (652 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 4:37:22 PM
0
(0)
Former Employee
100% agree with PhoneScoop. Nothing ridiculous about that, no one is forcing anyone to use a "Smartphone". iPhone had a data requirement for years and it's not a problem, so why is it a problem with a BB? I always taught it was unfair that I was required to have a data plan while other smartphones users weren't, but It's OK now, "Smartphones = Data" and "No Data = dumbphones". 
100% agree with PhoneScoop. Nothing ridiculous about that, no one is forcing anyone to use a "Smartphone". iPhone had a data requirement for years and it's not a problem, so why is it a problem with a BB? I always taught it was unfair that I was required to have a data plan while other smartphones users weren't, but It's OK now, "Smartphones = Data" and "No Data = dumbphones". 

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

6 of 67 (630 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 5:34:35 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
Edited by scott.vincent on Sep 19, 2009 at 5:41:57 PM
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

[ Edited ]
7 of 67 (624 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 7:09:59 PM
0
(0)
Professor

scott.vincent wrote:
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

You are making their case with this argument. If you are only going to use something primary as a phone. Then a dumb phone will be your best option. If you wanted all the bells and whistles you will have to have the data plan to get all the "bells and whistles". What's the point of a smartphone without the data plan? Isn't the main purpose of the "smartphone" to be able to do emails, stream videos, surf the web, and a bunch of other "data" related features. Just because now you have to budget and know what you need from what you want doesn't mean AT&T is the problem. If I didn't need to do certain things with my phone I wouldn't have an iPhone. I would be on a "dumbphone".

scott.vincent wrote:
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

You are making their case with this argument. If you are only going to use something primary as a phone. Then a dumb phone will be your best option. If you wanted all the bells and whistles you will have to have the data plan to get all the "bells and whistles". What's the point of a smartphone without the data plan? Isn't the main purpose of the "smartphone" to be able to do emails, stream videos, surf the web, and a bunch of other "data" related features. Just because now you have to budget and know what you need from what you want doesn't mean AT&T is the problem. If I didn't need to do certain things with my phone I wouldn't have an iPhone. I would be on a "dumbphone".

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

8 of 67 (615 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 7:54:20 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
Thanks for your reply.

I don't see it that way. I see it as I paid for a device that has better base functionality (without the data plan) than the Razor V3. Fortunately I can use it as I want to, it is mine Free and Clear, contract fulfilled.

If I own something, it should be ME that decides how I want to use that item. If I bring another phone I own to ATT I jsut swap the sim and on I go.

Perhaps the question of "Why did the Terms and Conditions change on 06Sep09 to force all Smartphones, even those out of contract, to subscribe to DataPlan when it will not be used?"

I too need the functionality of the SmartPhone and the data plan, my business would be hurt without the mobility I am provided with it, some folks could use the basic device functions that far exceed what even a Razor provides, and I don't have to put the wife into a new 2-year contract or spend a dime to upgrade her phone to something with equivalent base functionality as my BB 8310.

Like I said before, at least I made it under the old T&C's, we are good.

But I still don't think it ethical. I am aware of the issue and will checking to see if I am clearly informed of the new clause when I get my iPhone next week, I will bet the ATT store clerk won't even be aware of it, I hope I am wrong. I read T&C's, so I won't be buying unawares, but I will be few and far between I imagine.

For grins, I may update this when I get mine. I hope I am wrong.

Scott
Thanks for your reply.

I don't see it that way. I see it as I paid for a device that has better base functionality (without the data plan) than the Razor V3. Fortunately I can use it as I want to, it is mine Free and Clear, contract fulfilled.

If I own something, it should be ME that decides how I want to use that item. If I bring another phone I own to ATT I jsut swap the sim and on I go.

Perhaps the question of "Why did the Terms and Conditions change on 06Sep09 to force all Smartphones, even those out of contract, to subscribe to DataPlan when it will not be used?"

I too need the functionality of the SmartPhone and the data plan, my business would be hurt without the mobility I am provided with it, some folks could use the basic device functions that far exceed what even a Razor provides, and I don't have to put the wife into a new 2-year contract or spend a dime to upgrade her phone to something with equivalent base functionality as my BB 8310.

Like I said before, at least I made it under the old T&C's, we are good.

But I still don't think it ethical. I am aware of the issue and will checking to see if I am clearly informed of the new clause when I get my iPhone next week, I will bet the ATT store clerk won't even be aware of it, I hope I am wrong. I read T&C's, so I won't be buying unawares, but I will be few and far between I imagine.

For grins, I may update this when I get mine. I hope I am wrong.

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

9 of 67 (611 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 8:53:08 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Again there are phones out there that give more functionality than what you currently have and it doesn't have to be a smartphone. Look at my 3 phones listed under devices. My wife wanted the Sony. I didn't mind paying another $30 a month. For a datacentric device if my wife wanted to use many of the apps or features. I could very well see me paying more than $200 worth of data charges. I actually applaud AT&T for the requirement. I bet people with smartphones call in everyday with I didn't do this or that when they see a huge bill because of data. There is someone complaining right now abut how their bill is high because of their kids. If you check other carriers they have been doing this for years prior with their smartphones.
Again there are phones out there that give more functionality than what you currently have and it doesn't have to be a smartphone. Look at my 3 phones listed under devices. My wife wanted the Sony. I didn't mind paying another $30 a month. For a datacentric device if my wife wanted to use many of the apps or features. I could very well see me paying more than $200 worth of data charges. I actually applaud AT&T for the requirement. I bet people with smartphones call in everyday with I didn't do this or that when they see a huge bill because of data. There is someone complaining right now abut how their bill is high because of their kids. If you check other carriers they have been doing this for years prior with their smartphones.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

10 of 67 (602 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 9:18:15 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
There are probably a few phones out there with more functionality than the BB, but tons more than the RazorM but I don't have to spend any money as I have paid for my BB.

That may be the reason for the change in Terms.

My wife doesn't want the internet, she only wants the functionality of better camera and data storage to SD card and calendar and address book for contacts. So we are ahead of the game giving her my BB.

Thanks for your reply.

Scott
There are probably a few phones out there with more functionality than the BB, but tons more than the RazorM but I don't have to spend any money as I have paid for my BB.

That may be the reason for the change in Terms.

My wife doesn't want the internet, she only wants the functionality of better camera and data storage to SD card and calendar and address book for contacts. So we are ahead of the game giving her my BB.

Thanks for your reply.

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

11 of 67 (384 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2009 10:10:24 PM
0
(0)
Guru
iPaq + Nokia 2610.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
iPaq + Nokia 2610.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

12 of 67 (360 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 7:14:38 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

scott.vincent

 

I feel ya, I have a pearl and had been considering another phone and giving this one to my wife. cant do that now. but one of your points is a little misguided. when you say its YOUR phone and can do whatever you want with it, that is true. BUT, when you are using it on at&t's network, you have to do what THEY want you to do with it. they say ALL smartphones require a data plan. then only people that are grandfathered in are those with smartphones without a data plan previous to september 6th. on my bill there was a printed note that talked about it, and it referenced anytime a smartphone was added to a line, weather it was a new phone or one you were bringing to the table.

 

 

it sucks, but it is the way it is, and other providers have been doing this for years. 

scott.vincent

 

I feel ya, I have a pearl and had been considering another phone and giving this one to my wife. cant do that now. but one of your points is a little misguided. when you say its YOUR phone and can do whatever you want with it, that is true. BUT, when you are using it on at&t's network, you have to do what THEY want you to do with it. they say ALL smartphones require a data plan. then only people that are grandfathered in are those with smartphones without a data plan previous to september 6th. on my bill there was a printed note that talked about it, and it referenced anytime a smartphone was added to a line, weather it was a new phone or one you were bringing to the table.

 

 

it sucks, but it is the way it is, and other providers have been doing this for years. 

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

13 of 67 (354 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 7:19:26 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pablocrego on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:20:01 AM
Scott, there is something i do not understand. Your wife has a razor,so , I believe there is no data plan attached to her number. If you just swap her sim card into the BB, aren't you now with a BB with no data plan ? ATT does not need to know (and dont care) that your wife changed phones. It works the same as if you had purchased an unlocked used BB on e-bay, or am I missing something?
Message Edited by pablocrego on 09-21-2009 07:20:01 AM
Scott, there is something i do not understand. Your wife has a razor,so , I believe there is no data plan attached to her number. If you just swap her sim card into the BB, aren't you now with a BB with no data plan ? ATT does not need to know (and dont care) that your wife changed phones. It works the same as if you had purchased an unlocked used BB on e-bay, or am I missing something?
Message Edited by pablocrego on 09-21-2009 07:20:01 AM

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

[ Edited ]
14 of 67 (351 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 11:36:10 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

I haven't read all posts, but saw the part about being "grandfathered in" and I have to say that the rep I spoke with made no mention of this.  She said that as of Oct 31, any smart phone without a plan will be "swept" in automatically and charged.  I'm so fired up right now I feel like I'd go WITHOUT a cell phone before I pay for services I do not want or need.  I was about to add a new line/phone today and had only called to question the terms of the rebate when I learned of this new data plan scam.  I am so angry and am looking for more information in these posts and on the site.  Basically the rep could only tell me that I signed a contract that stated they could change the policy at any time...I gave a few scenerios that made no sense, like at&t randomly stating they could charge an extra $100/month as long as they updated their policy - which could not be legal, right?  Anyway, I'll keep reading.  I really wanted to get my son a new phone for his birthday, and now I'm so upset.

 

Michelle

I haven't read all posts, but saw the part about being "grandfathered in" and I have to say that the rep I spoke with made no mention of this.  She said that as of Oct 31, any smart phone without a plan will be "swept" in automatically and charged.  I'm so fired up right now I feel like I'd go WITHOUT a cell phone before I pay for services I do not want or need.  I was about to add a new line/phone today and had only called to question the terms of the rebate when I learned of this new data plan scam.  I am so angry and am looking for more information in these posts and on the site.  Basically the rep could only tell me that I signed a contract that stated they could change the policy at any time...I gave a few scenerios that made no sense, like at&t randomly stating they could charge an extra $100/month as long as they updated their policy - which could not be legal, right?  Anyway, I'll keep reading.  I really wanted to get my son a new phone for his birthday, and now I'm so upset.

 

Michelle

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

15 of 67 (338 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 11:42:58 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.
When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

16 of 67 (336 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 11:45:58 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.
The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

17 of 67 (334 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 11:47:02 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

I'm guessing a little bit here, but....   As Smartphones become more and more sophisticated, I tend to see that they automatically access the data network, for various reasons, more and more.  The iPhone is a perfect example, so I would assume that many of the iPhone beaters-to-be, follow that same premise?

 

If AT&T didn't put such a rule in place, regarding data plans, I would bet they'd be flooded with calls from people who suimply don't understand smartphones and were surprised by large unintended data access bills.   Not everyone is a sophisitcated user, right?  

I'm guessing a little bit here, but....   As Smartphones become more and more sophisticated, I tend to see that they automatically access the data network, for various reasons, more and more.  The iPhone is a perfect example, so I would assume that many of the iPhone beaters-to-be, follow that same premise?

 

If AT&T didn't put such a rule in place, regarding data plans, I would bet they'd be flooded with calls from people who suimply don't understand smartphones and were surprised by large unintended data access bills.   Not everyone is a sophisitcated user, right?  

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

18 of 67 (343 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 12:04:42 PM
0
(0)
Professor

michcaso wrote:
When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.
There's a difference between dumbphones and smart phones. If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be getting a smartphone. Sorry if that sounds mean, but There's more things a smart phone can do than what you listed. Dumbphones have what you listed, but it sure can't do what my E71, iPhones can do.

michcaso wrote:
When I bought my second phone, which is a blackjackII, I had no intention of adding a data plan.  I got this for my husband because it has other capabilities and I wanted to be able to text with him and for him to have a full keyboard like me, for easier texting.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be required to use/pay for the internet just because the phone could do so.  I liked the calendar, music player, etc...and that we had matching phones - plus the deal we got compared to what you call "dumb" phones.  Your argument makes no sense to me, Doppler808.
There's a difference between dumbphones and smart phones. If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be getting a smartphone. Sorry if that sounds mean, but There's more things a smart phone can do than what you listed. Dumbphones have what you listed, but it sure can't do what my E71, iPhones can do.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

19 of 67 (343 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 12:33:09 PM
0
(0)
Tutor

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

20 of 67 (339 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 1:07:17 PM
0
(0)
Expert

michcaso wrote:
The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.

 

Have you tried to purchase a Sprint PDA/smartphone lately?  That is no longer the case with Sprextel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

michcaso wrote:
The problem with "other providers have been doing this for years" is that it's not exactly true.  I had Sprint before this and I only paid for data if I actually used data and was not required to pay a monthly fee for it.

 

Have you tried to purchase a Sprint PDA/smartphone lately?  That is no longer the case with Sprextel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

21 of 67 (376 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 1:09:54 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

You are right and you are wrong.

 

Yes, you have the right to do any thing you want with your phone once you buy it.

However, if you want to use it on ATT's network you have to abide by their rules.

if you don't like ATT's rules you are free to exercise your right to try using it on someone else's network and then you will have to abide by their rules. You can even make your own network and make up your own rules.

 

 

 


michcaso wrote:

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.


 

You are right and you are wrong.

 

Yes, you have the right to do any thing you want with your phone once you buy it.

However, if you want to use it on ATT's network you have to abide by their rules.

if you don't like ATT's rules you are free to exercise your right to try using it on someone else's network and then you will have to abide by their rules. You can even make your own network and make up your own rules.

 

 

 


michcaso wrote:

I understand the difference of the phones to which you are referring doppler808.  That has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  The bottom line is that when someone buys a phone, they should have the option of deciding how they use it.  And the phone I was about to purchase today, although it is a smartphone, was not going to be intended for internet or other data use aside from texting and playing songs that my son uploads to it.  I already have a family text plan, so why should I have to add anything for data usage? 

 

In response to the previous text about automatic updates and such...yes, I can see where someone would be confused who isn't a savy smartphone user.  But the auto updates should be revealed at purchase so that the subscriber has the option of chosing a different phone or accepting additional data fees.  Let me assure you that these fees would only be a couple dollars a month - I know because that is what my husband's phone does and we had a $2.09 fee on our last statement.  This, I can live with.


 

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

22 of 67 (372 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 4:07:25 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

scott.vincent wrote:
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

Agreed.  You should be able to have any phone you want with only the features and services you want.  If you dont want data and are never going to use it, you should NOT be required to pay for it.  Period.

 

Okay, so now what if I get laid off and I cant afford to buy beer anymore, I am going to stop buying beer.  If I dont drink, then I shouldnt be forced to buy beer.

 

In other words...IT IS DUMB that ppl are forced to pay for services that they have no need for and will not use.


scott.vincent wrote:
Your thinking that a data plan will always be needed or wanted by the phone OWNER is not correct. After the obligatory 2-year agreement, YOU own the phone and should be able to do with it what you want or need to do with it, NO ONE should be forced to have a data plan after the term has been fulfilled. What if you wanted to give your phone to your aunt or grandma because she wanted the camera capabilities or the capabilitie to load movies or ebooks from her computer and not for web surfing or chatting or the other cost based uses they will never use. Forcing someone to pay for something they never use is RIDICULOUS. The use of my BB for my non-tech wife, who wants the data capabilities of the a large address book and camera over her Razor, should not cost me a penny more when we have no need to use any data features of the ATT network. YOU own the phone not ATT. I understand the Customer Service issues with technology, but if ATT Customer Service did the job when the person purchased the phone, by giving better education to the buyer, the end results would be less issues in the future. Don't blame the end-user for ATT self generated problems. The issues lie with ATT. Put the blame or credit where it needs to be and not throw it at the end-user. I won't buy a GM car if I have to have to get all the bells and whistles I would never use and I won't buy a phone if I have to have unneeded bells and whistles I will never use. You are welcome to your views and I to mine. Basic common use of any phone is that it is a phone first, a SMARTphone second. You paid for the phone and should be able to use it as a phone without penalty if so desired. Not everone is technically savvy as we are, don't penalize them for that. Even though we are good with my old BB, there are users who won't be since the change of 06Sep09 Terms and Conditions.
I have vented, others have provided their views, hope this helps someone.


Regards,

Scott
Message Edited by scott.vincent on 09-19-2009 05:41:57 PM

Agreed.  You should be able to have any phone you want with only the features and services you want.  If you dont want data and are never going to use it, you should NOT be required to pay for it.  Period.

 

Okay, so now what if I get laid off and I cant afford to buy beer anymore, I am going to stop buying beer.  If I dont drink, then I shouldnt be forced to buy beer.

 

In other words...IT IS DUMB that ppl are forced to pay for services that they have no need for and will not use.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

23 of 67 (358 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 4:08:57 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Thank you all for your comments; the antogonizers and the defenders of freedom. This is what makes America great! 

 

Glad to see I am not the only one upset about this, I was beginning to wonder.

 

As one poster put it, while living ATT's house, live by ATT's rules.

 

Never agreed with it when I was 17, but understand it more now and still dont agree with it! But what are we going to do? 

 

Regards,

 

Scott

Thank you all for your comments; the antogonizers and the defenders of freedom. This is what makes America great! 

 

Glad to see I am not the only one upset about this, I was beginning to wonder.

 

As one poster put it, while living ATT's house, live by ATT's rules.

 

Never agreed with it when I was 17, but understand it more now and still dont agree with it! But what are we going to do? 

 

Regards,

 

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

24 of 67 (357 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 5:06:35 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Cellnewbie09,

 

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

 

Scott

Cellnewbie09,

 

I think 'UNETHICAL', 'DISHONEST', 'DISLOYAL' and 'DUMB' fit the description nicely.

 

Scott

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

25 of 67 (349 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 6:07:50 PM
0
(0)
Tutor
I think my whole reason for posting here was to receive some support and in one little way, let AT&T know that we customers are not happy and this is not what we're looking for.  There will always be people out there who will throw their hands up and say, 'Well, it's the rules...what can ya do?"  My response is...we can do this.  And, we can (as I was so reminded) take our business elsewhere.  Just because there is a trend of data usage, it does not mean that the majority of people are ok with manditory payment of this.  I did find that there is this "grandfather clause" that was mentioned somewhere (maybe it was another forum) and that anyone who has had smartphones prior to Sept. 6th does not have to have a data plan if they didn't already have it.  That is a small silver lining for me, and that is the only reason I went ahead and purchased a new phone for my son - a NON smartphone, by the way.  I could never afford the plan with 3 phones all on a data plan...I can barely afford it now!
I think my whole reason for posting here was to receive some support and in one little way, let AT&T know that we customers are not happy and this is not what we're looking for.  There will always be people out there who will throw their hands up and say, 'Well, it's the rules...what can ya do?"  My response is...we can do this.  And, we can (as I was so reminded) take our business elsewhere.  Just because there is a trend of data usage, it does not mean that the majority of people are ok with manditory payment of this.  I did find that there is this "grandfather clause" that was mentioned somewhere (maybe it was another forum) and that anyone who has had smartphones prior to Sept. 6th does not have to have a data plan if they didn't already have it.  That is a small silver lining for me, and that is the only reason I went ahead and purchased a new phone for my son - a NON smartphone, by the way.  I could never afford the plan with 3 phones all on a data plan...I can barely afford it now!

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

26 of 67 (337 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:36:45 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

I know, so freaking ridiculous!! I was going to buy the refurbished Samsung Jack -- BUT NOW!!! Oh heck no. This is ridiculous, I don't even use the Internet that much; I'm really P.O.ed, I was looking forward to this until I figured this out.

 

AT&T officially FAILS.

I know, so freaking ridiculous!! I was going to buy the refurbished Samsung Jack -- BUT NOW!!! Oh heck no. This is ridiculous, I don't even use the Internet that much; I'm really P.O.ed, I was looking forward to this until I figured this out.

 

AT&T officially FAILS.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

27 of 67 (309 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:44:51 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Seriously if they FAIL why are you still customers with them? If I were you I'd be on a different carrier by now.
Seriously if they FAIL why are you still customers with them? If I were you I'd be on a different carrier by now.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

28 of 67 (305 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:50:28 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

"Vera: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support.  How may I assist you with placing your order today?

Logan D.: Is it really REQUIRED to have a data plan with a smart phone? Personally, I think that is ridiculous -- where is the freedom? If I want a smart phone that I don't wanna use the Internet on it I still have to get the data plans? With the minimum being thirty dollars per MONTH?

Vera: Hello!  I will be happy to assist you today.

Vera: Yes, all PDA/Smartphones require a data plan.  It is not just for AT&T.  As of September 6, 2009, all carriers have them required."

 

Talked with a sales representative, look what they said.

"Vera: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support.  How may I assist you with placing your order today?

Logan D.: Is it really REQUIRED to have a data plan with a smart phone? Personally, I think that is ridiculous -- where is the freedom? If I want a smart phone that I don't wanna use the Internet on it I still have to get the data plans? With the minimum being thirty dollars per MONTH?

Vera: Hello!  I will be happy to assist you today.

Vera: Yes, all PDA/Smartphones require a data plan.  It is not just for AT&T.  As of September 6, 2009, all carriers have them required."

 

Talked with a sales representative, look what they said.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

29 of 67 (303 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:55:43 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Other carriers had it for years prior to AT&T doing so. I wouldn't be surprised if all carriers do away with PPU data, and anyphone will have to get a data plan. With the way phones are becoming more and more data intensive and people crying about data charges when they use certain apps and "accidently" go on the Internet. People have been crying for years about this kinda stuff.

Other carriers had it for years prior to AT&T doing so. I wouldn't be surprised if all carriers do away with PPU data, and anyphone will have to get a data plan. With the way phones are becoming more and more data intensive and people crying about data charges when they use certain apps and "accidently" go on the Internet. People have been crying for years about this kinda stuff.

Re: "All SMARTPHONES" now required to have $30 or higher Data Plan - FOR LIFE?! RIDICULOUS

30 of 67 (301 Views)
Share this post
Share this post