question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

Contributor

question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

Think I have a buyer lined up, finally, to  take an iPhone 3G off my hands.  That got me thinking about potential problems for this guy.  The account this phone was on is canceled but has an outstanding balance of a couple hundred dollars.  

Is that outstanding balance going to in anyway prevent him from taking this  phone and using it on a new account?

A bit of background might be appropriate here.

The phone was purchased by my father on ebay.  He didn't recieve it discounted as part of a contract or anything.  He passed away in May.  After jumping through hoops and getting the run around from AT&T I finally got fed up and decided to let his contract expire instead of trying to take it over.  The service was canceled about a month after he died.

His final bill hasn't been payed, and won't be payed, the estate doesn't have the money for it.  In fact I'm in several thousand dollars from my own pocket covering expenses and I haven't even got the lawyers bill yet(he had no will).

Message 1 of 5 (888 Views)
Professor

Re: question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

The buyer will be using his own SIM card with his own account information, so there should be no tie to your account.
Message 2 of 5 (877 Views)
Guru

See the below discussion about how ATT doesn't even block stolen iPhones from being reactivated.

Message 3 of 5 (872 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response guys,  appreciate it.

Message 4 of 5 (869 Views)
Scholar

remember mark as apropiate solucions wich ones who were a solution

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (861 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.