Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 21, 2010
9:49:01 AM
View profile
question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

Think I have a buyer lined up, finally, to  take an iPhone 3G off my hands.  That got me thinking about potential problems for this guy.  The account this phone was on is canceled but has an outstanding balance of a couple hundred dollars.  

Is that outstanding balance going to in anyway prevent him from taking this  phone and using it on a new account?

A bit of background might be appropriate here.

The phone was purchased by my father on ebay.  He didn't recieve it discounted as part of a contract or anything.  He passed away in May.  After jumping through hoops and getting the run around from AT&T I finally got fed up and decided to let his contract expire instead of trying to take it over.  The service was canceled about a month after he died.

His final bill hasn't been payed, and won't be payed, the estate doesn't have the money for it.  In fact I'm in several thousand dollars from my own pocket covering expenses and I haven't even got the lawyers bill yet(he had no will).

Think I have a buyer lined up, finally, to  take an iPhone 3G off my hands.  That got me thinking about potential problems for this guy.  The account this phone was on is canceled but has an outstanding balance of a couple hundred dollars.  

Is that outstanding balance going to in anyway prevent him from taking this  phone and using it on a new account?

A bit of background might be appropriate here.

The phone was purchased by my father on ebay.  He didn't recieve it discounted as part of a contract or anything.  He passed away in May.  After jumping through hoops and getting the run around from AT&T I finally got fed up and decided to let his contract expire instead of trying to take it over.  The service was canceled about a month after he died.

His final bill hasn't been payed, and won't be payed, the estate doesn't have the money for it.  In fact I'm in several thousand dollars from my own pocket covering expenses and I haven't even got the lawyers bill yet(he had no will).

question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 9:57:36 AM
(0)
Professor
The buyer will be using his own SIM card with his own account information, so there should be no tie to your account.
The buyer will be using his own SIM card with his own account information, so there should be no tie to your account.

Re: question on reselling an iphone with an outstanding bill

2 of 5 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 10:04:53 AM
(0)
Guru

See the below discussion about how ATT doesn't even block stolen iPhones from being reactivated.

See the below discussion about how ATT doesn't even block stolen iPhones from being reactivated.

3 of 5 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 10:06:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response guys,  appreciate it.

Thanks for the quick response guys,  appreciate it.

4 of 5 (852 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 10:20:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

remember mark as apropiate solucions wich ones who were a solution

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.

remember mark as apropiate solucions wich ones who were a solution

5 of 5 (844 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments