Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 14, 2012
5:37:10 PM
View profile
prepaid plan

I'm currently paying .25 per minute with my prepaid plan.  I see that a .10 a minute plan is now being offerred.  What do I have to do to get the lower rate?  Do I have to buy another phone or pay a fee?

I'm currently paying .25 per minute with my prepaid plan.  I see that a .10 a minute plan is now being offerred.  What do I have to do to get the lower rate?  Do I have to buy another phone or pay a fee?

prepaid plan

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 6:12:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:13:29 PM

All you have to do is call 611 from your cell phone and let the computer change you from .25 to .10 per minute. It will probably ask you as soon as you call. If not, just change plans and that should be an option. If not, you may have to call a CSR.

mrbozo wrote:

All you have to do is call 611 from your cell phone and let the computer change you from .25 to .10 per minute. It will probably ask you as soon as you call. If not, just change plans and that should be an option. If not, you may have to call a CSR.

mrbozo wrote:

Re: prepaid plan

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 2:03:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did as you suggested and I was able to change my plan.  I have automatic payments so I never dial 611.  It would have been nice if they had emailed me that they had a new, cheaper plan that I could use.  Thanks for the info.

I did as you suggested and I was able to change my plan.  I have automatic payments so I never dial 611.  It would have been nice if they had emailed me that they had a new, cheaper plan that I could use.  Thanks for the info.

3 of 8 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 3:54:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 15, 2012 at 3:55:44 PM

mrbozo wrote:

You're welcome. Yes, I agree, just another case of bad customer service. They made that change a long time ago. I don't remember when exactly, but I was looking at the available plans one day, and I noticed the change to 10 cents per minute. Like you, I was surprised that it was not automatically adjusted, or that I was never notified. It makes you wonder how many others are still paying 25 cents per minute, you know?

mrbozo wrote:

You're welcome. Yes, I agree, just another case of bad customer service. They made that change a long time ago. I don't remember when exactly, but I was looking at the available plans one day, and I noticed the change to 10 cents per minute. Like you, I was surprised that it was not automatically adjusted, or that I was never notified. It makes you wonder how many others are still paying 25 cents per minute, you know?

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 6:31:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pl1 on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:37:19 AM

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20018364-85.html

AT&T announced new payment plans for GoPhone today that drastically cut costs to the wireless carrier's prepaid phone service. The revised plans go into effect on October 3, and lower the price of using the Unlimited Daily Talk and Text and Simple Rate plans.

Unlimited Daily Talk and Text users will now pay $2 per day for days they use their phones, as opposed to $3, and the plan includes 200 MB of data. Simple Rate users will see prices drop from 25 cents per minute to 10 cents per minute. Charges apply for making or receiving voice calls, text or IM, and picture or video messages.

Although the plans are still subject to a daily access fee that's "assessed each day you use your phone for a voice call and is normally debited from your account balance on the first call of the day," according to the GoPhone Web site, these new prices reflect deep discounts that will certainly make a compelling argument for those in the prepaid market to switch allegiances.

For more information about prepaid plans versus contracts, see CNET Reporter Maggie Reardon's latest column.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20018364-85.html#ixzz1sD4qHLcB

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20018364-85.html

AT&T announced new payment plans for GoPhone today that drastically cut costs to the wireless carrier's prepaid phone service. The revised plans go into effect on October 3, and lower the price of using the Unlimited Daily Talk and Text and Simple Rate plans.

Unlimited Daily Talk and Text users will now pay $2 per day for days they use their phones, as opposed to $3, and the plan includes 200 MB of data. Simple Rate users will see prices drop from 25 cents per minute to 10 cents per minute. Charges apply for making or receiving voice calls, text or IM, and picture or video messages.

Although the plans are still subject to a daily access fee that's "assessed each day you use your phone for a voice call and is normally debited from your account balance on the first call of the day," according to the GoPhone Web site, these new prices reflect deep discounts that will certainly make a compelling argument for those in the prepaid market to switch allegiances.

For more information about prepaid plans versus contracts, see CNET Reporter Maggie Reardon's latest column.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20018364-85.html#ixzz1sD4qHLcB

Re: prepaid plan Changed to 10 cents per minute 10/03/10 with wrong info regarding 20 cent text

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 3:19:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

And why didn't AT&T notify its then current prepaid customers? 

And why didn't AT&T notify its then current prepaid customers? 

Re: prepaid plan Changed to 10 cents per minute 10/03/10 with wrong info regarding 20 cent text

6 of 8 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 5:24:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

Why didn't AT&T just change everybody automatically 2 years ago? It's an unacceptable business practice. And they continue to get away with it.

Why didn't AT&T just change everybody automatically 2 years ago? It's an unacceptable business practice. And they continue to get away with it.

7 of 8 (578 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 4:00:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I guess they're trying to build good will.  Typical short sighted corporate incompetence.

I guess they're trying to build good will.  Typical short sighted corporate incompetence.

8 of 8 (565 Views)