Helpful Links

phone upgrade

Visitor

phone upgrade

I whant to up grade to a better gophone. Will my simms card work on any att gophone? Will I keep my account with my pre paid minutes?

Message 1 of 10
Master

Re: phone upgrade

longhaul3 wrote:

I whant to up grade to a better gophone. Will my simms card work on any att gophone? Will I keep my account with my pre paid minutes?

Yes, your SIM will work in any AT&T phone except the iPhone, which is unauthorized for use on GoPhone plans.

You will keep all of your information that is on your SIM card including your prepaid balance, minutes, feature packages, phone number, and most importantly, the account itself.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 10
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

longhaul3 wrote:

Yes, your SIM will work in any AT&T phone except the iPhone, which is unauthorized for use on GoPhone plans.

You will keep all of your information that is on your SIM card including your prepaid balance, minutes, feature packages, phone number, and most importantly, the account itself.

AFAIK, an iPhone will work with a prepaid SIM card as well.  You may not have access to data, but voice and SMS should work just fine.  There are quite a few prepaid users here that use an iPhone.  (I've never seen an official statement indicating that the use of an iPhone is prohibited with prepaid service - just that it is not "supported" by at&t.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 10

hme83 wrote:

AFAIK, an iPhone will work with a prepaid SIM card as well.  You may not have access to data, but voice and SMS should work just fine.  There are quite a few prepaid users here that use an iPhone.  (I've never seen an official statement indicating that the use of an iPhone is prohibited with prepaid service - just that it is not "supported" by at&t.)

hme83, you are spot-on about the iPhone as a GoPhone, but I must add:  it also works for 3G data.

My out-of-contract iPhone 3G works for voice, text (including MMS), and 3G data in a GoPhone Plan.  I use the 10c pay-as-you-go voice (with 20c text and 25c MMS), and $15-month 3G data plan.

Flawlessly.

There are two hurdles placed during activation, which I was able to bridge without difficulty.  (I published my findings earlier but a moderator pulled my post within few minutes, so I will refrain from stating them again.) 

There is nothing in the AT&T Terms and Conditions that distinguishes the iPhone from any other smartphone.  In fact the GoPhone terms say:

"Smartphone users: You may use your smartphone on all GoPhone plans. A data package is required to use any data services on your device. Pay‐per‐use data is not available on smartphones.”

I do not see a special exception made of the iPhone as a GoPhone.

If someone raises questions specific to problems found during their own iPhone activation (in a GoPhone Plan), asking for guidance, then I will answer.  Otherwise, a "lessons learned" post with my findings, as I did before, will be removed silently by the moderators.

Message 4 of 10
Master

While I am a strong believer in prepaid iPhones, AT&T officially noted that an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 cannot be use with a prepaid plan. Even though in reality, they really can. It's just difficult to get the data portion of the phone working. Link is here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787&cv=820#fbid=bN40BgyjRPM

As for the original iPhone 2G and 3G, they both can be used as well. The data portion on the phones I think is difficult to set up, too, I think. They can be used, but it can be a pain to get them officially in working order with every "postpaid" option available.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 10
Master

Additionally, only "data only" devices are specifically prohibited for use with GoPhone service in the GoPhone T&C's.  Clearly iPhones are not "data only" devices.

"DEVICE: The wireless phone or other device assigned to your account ("Device") must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our service, and must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. A Device capable only of using data service is not allowed with GoPhone service. We may periodically program your Device remotely with system settings for roaming service, to direct your Device to use network services most appropriate for your typical usage, and other features that cannot be changed manually. Devices purchased for use on AT&T's systems are designed for use only on AT&T's network ("Equipment") and may not function on other wireless networks. Equipment is sold exclusively for use with GoPhone service and may not be resold. By purchasing such Equipment you agree to activate and use it on GoPhone service. You also agree that you will not make, nor will you assist others to make, any modifications to the Equipment or programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. AT&T may, at its sole and absolute discretion, modify the programming to enable the operation of the Equipment on other systems. You understand and acknowledge that the Equipment is sold solely for use with AT&T's GoPhone service and that AT&T will be significantly damaged if you use or assist others to use the Equipment for any other purpose. You agree not to take any action to circumvent limits on the quantity of Equipment that may be purchased. You will be liable to AT&T for any damages resulting from the conduct prohibited in this section."

( from here )

I didn't spot any other terms for GoPhone service that would preclude the use of any iPhone model in their terms, but please point it out if the use of iPhones is indeed now excluded elsewhere in the authority of the official terms of service/customer agreement for prepaid service.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 10

hme83, lets add some closure to this discussion, and separate fact ("I know") from fiction ("he thinks"):

Any iPhone out-of-contract (3G/3GS/4) can be serviced under the GoPhone Plan, for voice/text/3G data.  No exceptions.  Just like any other smartphone.

[What are the differences between 3G/3GS/4?:  Whereas the iPhone 4 requires a micro SIM for activation; the 3G and 3GS use the standard-sized SIM.  All can be purchased ready to activate at eBay.  Other than that, here are no differences during their activation:  zero, nada, zilch.  And, you do not visit an AT&T retail store -- all activation is done via http://www.wireless.att.com/activations ]

This is not to say that AT&T makes it easy -- they do not (although the iPhone is just another smartphone).

But the hurdles they place during activation (there are only two) can be bridged quite easily:

1. without violating any AT&T Terms and Conditions,
  2. without violating any iPhone warranties, and
  3. without modifying the iPhone standard iOS kernel (no jailbreaks; no unlocking required).

After activation, the iPhone operates like any other smartphone.

I know.

Message 7 of 10
Master

I'm afraid the discussion has hi-jacked the OP's thread since it sounds like they intended to select from those devices actually being "sold" as GoPhones, which the iPhone currently is not. Smiley Wink  (Only the first generation 2G iPhone was actually sold with at&t's prepaid PYP service.)

But I am curious - does visual voice mail work with at&t's prepaid service on your iPhone?  Through all the iterations of at&t's disclaimers at their website (from "iPhone is not supported" to the current "iPhone is not eligible") while the use of it was not specifically prohibited in their prepaid T&C's, I've figured it was the visual voice mail functionality that was the crux of the disclaimer.  (Of course the specialized services of BES still aren't available for Blackberries on prepaid service either, at least to my knowledge.) 

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

hme83, lets add some closure to this discussion, and separate fact ("I know") from fiction ("he thinks"):

Any iPhone out-of-contract (3G/3GS/4) can be serviced under the GoPhone Plan, for voice/text/3G data.  No exceptions.  Just like any other smartphone.

[What are the differences between 3G/3GS/4?:  Whereas the iPhone 4 requires a micro SIM for activation; the 3G and 3GS use the standard-sized SIM.  All can be purchased ready to activate at eBay.  Other than that, here are no differences during their activation:  zero, nada, zilch.  And, you do not visit an AT&T retail store -- all activation is done via http://www.wireless.att.com/activations ]

This is not to say that AT&T makes it easy -- they do not (although the iPhone is just another smartphone).

But the hurdles they place during activation (there are only two) can be bridged quite easily:

1. without violating any AT&T Terms and Conditions,
  2. without violating any iPhone warranties, and
  3. without modifying the iPhone standard iOS kernel (no jailbreaks; no unlocking required).

After activation, the iPhone operates like any other smartphone.

I know.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 10

hme83 wrote:

But I am curious - does visual voice mail work with at&t's prepaid service on your iPhone? 

hme83, I have opted out of voice mail of either flavor, either standard or visual.

I have not setup my initial password, and calls that are forwarded simply are announced that VM is not activated for this number.  This is by choice as this costs me nothing -- no airtime charges!

But you are probably correct.  The voice features included in the Pay-As-You-Go Plans only include "basic voice mail", this is clearly stated, so I definitely would not expect visual voicemail to be supported:

Services Included with All Plans

Basic Voice Mail*Call Forwarding*
Call Waiting*Caller ID
Nationwide Long DistanceInternational Calling**
Three-Way Calling* 

*Airtime charges apply for features usage.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Master

Thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

hme83 wrote:

But I am curious - does visual voice mail work with at&t's prepaid service on your iPhone? 

hme83, I have opted out of voice mail of either flavor, either standard or visual.

I have not setup my initial password, and calls that are forwarded simply are announced that VM is not activated for this number.  This is by choice as this costs me nothing -- no airtime charges!

But you are probably correct.  The voice features included in the Pay-As-You-Go Plans only include "basic voice mail", this is clearly stated, so I definitely would not expect visual voicemail to be supported:

Services Included with All Plans

Basic Voice Mail*Call Forwarding*
Call Waiting*Caller ID
Nationwide Long DistanceInternational Calling**
Three-Way Calling* 

*Airtime charges apply for features usage.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support