Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 2, 2011
7:10:10 AM
phantom data charges?

just activated a new GoPhone account and keep getting charged for unknown data usage when the phone is not powered off but has not been used . . . any solutions?

just activated a new GoPhone account and keep getting charged for unknown data usage when the phone is not powered off but has not been used . . . any solutions?

phantom data charges?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 7:49:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Turn off 3G data.
Turn off 3G data.

Re: phantom data charges?

2 of 12 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 9:21:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

yeah, thought that might work, too, but still getting charges with 3G data disabled . . . cs @ at&t has offered no explanation, either

yeah, thought that might work, too, but still getting charges with 3G data disabled . . . cs @ at&t has offered no explanation, either

3 of 12 (288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 9:39:33 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:42:14 PM

Yes. I think my smartphone gets confused if I switch back and forth from 3G data to WiFi. That caused me to be charged for data even though I switched to WiFi. You might try the following to refresh your phone:

1. Turn off 3G data (so that the phone will not power up with 3G data ON).
  2. Put the phone in airplane mode.
  3. Power down, then power up.
  4. Take it out of airplane mode.
  5. Check 3G is still off.

Yes. I think my smartphone gets confused if I switch back and forth from 3G data to WiFi. That caused me to be charged for data even though I switched to WiFi. You might try the following to refresh your phone:

1. Turn off 3G data (so that the phone will not power up with 3G data ON).
  2. Put the phone in airplane mode.
  3. Power down, then power up.
  4. Take it out of airplane mode.
  5. Check 3G is still off.

[ Edited ]
4 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 5:19:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Do you have the ability to disable all access to the cellular data network from within your phone's settings? Just turning off 3G data won't do the trick if there are applications that still automatically try to connect while usiing 2G data. (i.e. E-mail polling, weather or location updates, etc.)
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Do you have the ability to disable all access to the cellular data network from within your phone's settings? Just turning off 3G data won't do the trick if there are applications that still automatically try to connect while usiing 2G data. (i.e. E-mail polling, weather or location updates, etc.)
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 12 (279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 4:02:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I assume that you are using a smartphone? Try turning both 3G and the cellular data network off. I got slapped with data fees once with a Facebook app I had on my phone. I deleted the app and now I no longer get charged ridiculous amounts for a silly comment or 'like' update.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I assume that you are using a smartphone? Try turning both 3G and the cellular data network off. I got slapped with data fees once with a Facebook app I had on my phone. I deleted the app and now I no longer get charged ridiculous amounts for a silly comment or 'like' update.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 9:27:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

contacted at&t again to block all data network access . . . still getting charges, unfortunately

contacted at&t again to block all data network access . . . still getting charges, unfortunately

7 of 12 (258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 3:47:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Have you followed the instructions provided in this thread? Turning off 3G or cellular data if you have a smartphone should put an end to the charges if you have deactivated either.

Have you followed the instructions provided in this thread? Turning off 3G or cellular data if you have a smartphone should put an end to the charges if you have deactivated either.

8 of 12 (249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 2:35:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

actually NOT using a smartphone, but thanks for the feedback

actually NOT using a smartphone, but thanks for the feedback

9 of 12 (238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 2:56:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Okay.

Are there any apps on your phone that are likely to update on their own every once in a while? Apps such as GPS, Facebook, e-mail, etc.?

Okay.

Are there any apps on your phone that are likely to update on their own every once in a while? Apps such as GPS, Facebook, e-mail, etc.?

10 of 12 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 10:18:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

no apps, but wondering about tower "pinging" . . . seems to occur fairly regularly every half hour or so

no apps, but wondering about tower "pinging" . . . seems to occur fairly regularly every half hour or so

11 of 12 (209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 10:50:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

rbrtclff wrote:

I suppose it's certainly possible if there is no way on your device to completely disable the access to at&t's data network (2G and 3G).  I don't have that menu functionality on my at&t branded non-smartphones (both SEs), and I know at&t has also generally made it much more difficult to corrupt the data access point settings to the point where no built-in applications will connect to the data network if the user doesn't want them to. Smiley Sad

In my experience the devices do definitely ping the tower about every 30 minutes - exhibited by GSM buzz if the device is in close proximity to unshielded speakers.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

rbrtclff wrote:

I suppose it's certainly possible if there is no way on your device to completely disable the access to at&t's data network (2G and 3G).  I don't have that menu functionality on my at&t branded non-smartphones (both SEs), and I know at&t has also generally made it much more difficult to corrupt the data access point settings to the point where no built-in applications will connect to the data network if the user doesn't want them to. Smiley Sad

In my experience the devices do definitely ping the tower about every 30 minutes - exhibited by GSM buzz if the device is in close proximity to unshielded speakers.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

12 of 12 (196 Views)