Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 7, 2011
5:28:57 PM
View profile
original iPhone - smartphone or not?

On postpaid, the original iPhone is probably one of the few smartphones where you're not forced into the $30 3G data plan due to the lack of 3G. I'm curious, is it the same for prepaid?

On postpaid, the original iPhone is probably one of the few smartphones where you're not forced into the $30 3G data plan due to the lack of 3G. I'm curious, is it the same for prepaid?

original iPhone - smartphone or not?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 5:38:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hnzw_rui wrote:

The $30 Unlimited Data plan no longer exists and is not available anymore for postpaid customers... The original iPhone 2G is still considered a smartphone, but you will not need a data plan unless you WANT to use data services. Which I don't see why you would, considering the iPhone 2G only operates on EDGE...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

hnzw_rui wrote:

The $30 Unlimited Data plan no longer exists and is not available anymore for postpaid customers... The original iPhone 2G is still considered a smartphone, but you will not need a data plan unless you WANT to use data services. Which I don't see why you would, considering the iPhone 2G only operates on EDGE...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: original iPhone - smartphone or not?

2 of 6 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 5:53:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, that's not true. The $30 Unlimited Data plan has never applied to the iPhone 2G. Even now, if you activate an iPhone 2G on AT&T postpaid, you'll be offered the $20 unlimited data/200 text messages plan. If you then switch the SIM card from the iPhone 2G to a 3G smartphone, you'll automatically be switched to the $30/unlimited data plan.

That said, given my usage, I'm probably better off opting for the 10c/min plan and adding $5/10MB or $25/500MB data feature packages every now and then rather than the $50/MO for unlimited voice/messaging/data.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, that's not true. The $30 Unlimited Data plan has never applied to the iPhone 2G. Even now, if you activate an iPhone 2G on AT&T postpaid, you'll be offered the $20 unlimited data/200 text messages plan. If you then switch the SIM card from the iPhone 2G to a 3G smartphone, you'll automatically be switched to the $30/unlimited data plan.

That said, given my usage, I'm probably better off opting for the 10c/min plan and adding $5/10MB or $25/500MB data feature packages every now and then rather than the $50/MO for unlimited voice/messaging/data.

3 of 6 (764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 6:23:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hnzw_rui wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

You're correct in stating that the Unlimited Data plan did not apply to the iPhone 2G, and I understand that. I still think the iPhone 2G will even require a data plan choosing from either the $15 200MB or $25 2GB plan on post paid. The Unlimited Data plan is non-existent anymore - in other words, AT&T has completely dropped it from their choices. The only people who have Unlimited plans are grandfathered smartphone users.

Aside from that, I would agree that the $0.10 a minute voice plan and a data package add-on would work well for you.

hnzw_rui wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

You're correct in stating that the Unlimited Data plan did not apply to the iPhone 2G, and I understand that. I still think the iPhone 2G will even require a data plan choosing from either the $15 200MB or $25 2GB plan on post paid. The Unlimited Data plan is non-existent anymore - in other words, AT&T has completely dropped it from their choices. The only people who have Unlimited plans are grandfathered smartphone users.

Aside from that, I would agree that the $0.10 a minute voice plan and a data package add-on would work well for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 7:44:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, if you're using an iPhone 2G, you're not forced into the $15/200MB or $25/2GB plan on postpaid. If activating an iPhone 2G now, you can still opt for the $20 unlimited data/200 messages plan similar to older MediaNet plans. The iPhone 2G wasn't really treated similar to other smartphones on postpaid. That's why I'm curious regarding the state of prepaid.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, if you're using an iPhone 2G, you're not forced into the $15/200MB or $25/2GB plan on postpaid. If activating an iPhone 2G now, you can still opt for the $20 unlimited data/200 messages plan similar to older MediaNet plans. The iPhone 2G wasn't really treated similar to other smartphones on postpaid. That's why I'm curious regarding the state of prepaid.

5 of 6 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 12:41:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Okay... I respect your opinion, but I still think AT&T classifies it as a smartphone, which will need a data plan. But for prepaid, a data plan is not required - which I'm sure you already knew.

Okay... I respect your opinion, but I still think AT&T classifies it as a smartphone, which will need a data plan. But for prepaid, a data plan is not required - which I'm sure you already knew.

6 of 6 (738 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments