Helpful Links

original iPhone - smartphone or not?

Scholar

original iPhone - smartphone or not?

On postpaid, the original iPhone is probably one of the few smartphones where you're not forced into the $30 3G data plan due to the lack of 3G. I'm curious, is it the same for prepaid?

Message 1 of 6
Master

Re: original iPhone - smartphone or not?

hnzw_rui wrote:

On postpaid, the original iPhone is probably one of the few smartphones where you're not forced into the $30 3G data plan due to the lack of 3G. I'm curious, is it the same for prepaid?

The $30 Unlimited Data plan no longer exists and is not available anymore for postpaid customers... The original iPhone 2G is still considered a smartphone, but you will not need a data plan unless you WANT to use data services. Which I don't see why you would, considering the iPhone 2G only operates on EDGE...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 6
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
The $30 Unlimited Data plan no longer exists and is not available anymore for postpaid customers... The original iPhone 2G is still considered a smartphone, but you will not need a data plan unless you WANT to use data services. Which I don't see why you would, considering the iPhone 2G only operates on EDGE...

Actually, that's not true. The $30 Unlimited Data plan has never applied to the iPhone 2G. Even now, if you activate an iPhone 2G on AT&T postpaid, you'll be offered the $20 unlimited data/200 text messages plan. If you then switch the SIM card from the iPhone 2G to a 3G smartphone, you'll automatically be switched to the $30/unlimited data plan.

That said, given my usage, I'm probably better off opting for the 10c/min plan and adding $5/10MB or $25/500MB data feature packages every now and then rather than the $50/MO for unlimited voice/messaging/data.

Message 3 of 6
Master

hnzw_rui wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, that's not true. The $30 Unlimited Data plan has never applied to the iPhone 2G. Even now, if you activate an iPhone 2G on AT&T postpaid, you'll be offered the $20 unlimited data/200 text messages plan. If you then switch the SIM card from the iPhone 2G to a 3G smartphone, you'll automatically be switched to the $30/unlimited data plan.

That said, given my usage, I'm probably better off opting for the 10c/min plan and adding $5/10MB or $25/500MB data feature packages every now and then rather than the $50/MO for unlimited voice/messaging/data.

You're correct in stating that the Unlimited Data plan did not apply to the iPhone 2G, and I understand that. I still think the iPhone 2G will even require a data plan choosing from either the $15 200MB or $25 2GB plan on post paid. The Unlimited Data plan is non-existent anymore - in other words, AT&T has completely dropped it from their choices. The only people who have Unlimited plans are grandfathered smartphone users.

Aside from that, I would agree that the $0.10 a minute voice plan and a data package add-on would work well for you.

Message 4 of 6
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
You're correct in stating that the Unlimited Data plan did not apply to the iPhone 2G, and I understand that. I still think the iPhone 2G will even require a data plan choosing from either the $15 200MB or $25 2GB plan on post paid. The Unlimited Data plan is non-existent anymore - in other words, AT&T has completely dropped it from their choices. The only people who have Unlimited plans are grandfathered smartphone users.

Aside from that, I would agree that the $0.10 a minute voice plan and a data package add-on would work well for you.

Actually, if you're using an iPhone 2G, you're not forced into the $15/200MB or $25/2GB plan on postpaid. If activating an iPhone 2G now, you can still opt for the $20 unlimited data/200 messages plan similar to older MediaNet plans. The iPhone 2G wasn't really treated similar to other smartphones on postpaid. That's why I'm curious regarding the state of prepaid.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Okay... I respect your opinion, but I still think AT&T classifies it as a smartphone, which will need a data plan. But for prepaid, a data plan is not required - which I'm sure you already knew.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support