Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 25, 2009
4:45:44 AM
View profile
one or more of the message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation

Not sure what happened to my phone, but all of the sudden my MMS abilities have changed... before i was able to send and receive any type of mms files.  for some reason now i'm limited to a size limit for MMS and get the following message if the file i'm sent is too big too "one or more of the message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation"  

any picture taken from my phone is too big to send, so i didn't even try a video (which i was able to send before).  It will sit there attempting to send, the status bar never goes all the way, if i exit the screen, and go back to the message, the picture will no longer be there, though it will show that it's still trying to send.  if someone sends me a decent size pic, it no longer shows the preview if my screen was locked, nor does it in the message, all i get is the arrow to see the image, and that sometimes works on and off..   

i've reset the network settings, and restarted the phone plenty of times to no avail... i'm really trying to avoid whipping the phone and starting over... has anyone else run into this problem if not even have a solution?  and yes i've called support and nothing was able to get resolved. 

merry xmas btw! 

Not sure what happened to my phone, but all of the sudden my MMS abilities have changed... before i was able to send and receive any type of mms files.  for some reason now i'm limited to a size limit for MMS and get the following message if the file i'm sent is too big too "one or more of the message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation"  

any picture taken from my phone is too big to send, so i didn't even try a video (which i was able to send before).  It will sit there attempting to send, the status bar never goes all the way, if i exit the screen, and go back to the message, the picture will no longer be there, though it will show that it's still trying to send.  if someone sends me a decent size pic, it no longer shows the preview if my screen was locked, nor does it in the message, all i get is the arrow to see the image, and that sometimes works on and off..   

i've reset the network settings, and restarted the phone plenty of times to no avail... i'm really trying to avoid whipping the phone and starting over... has anyone else run into this problem if not even have a solution?  and yes i've called support and nothing was able to get resolved. 

merry xmas btw! 

one or more of the message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation

3 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2009 10:26:50 AM
(0)
Professor

I think deleted part isn't supported on iPhone....  Maybe Restore in iTunes will take care of Sending problem but sometimes I get animated MMS with the same error message:

2866477a.jpg picture by iPhone_3_GS

I think deleted part isn't supported on iPhone....  Maybe Restore in iTunes will take care of Sending problem but sometimes I get animated MMS with the same error message:

2866477a.jpg picture by iPhone_3_GS

Re: one or more of the message components have been deleted by MMS adaptation

2 of 4 (15,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2009 11:11:14 AM
(0)
Master

Most common is trying to send something is the size limit exceeds the allowance.  ATT can limit MMS messages to 600K size on the network.  If the file is larger that can very well be the problem.

On the receive side it nromally turns out to be a problem in the format.  There are a lot of different file types that different phones use that are not always compatible on other devices.

Goal:
Supported Multimedia Message (MMS) File Types and Size Limitations
Symptom:
Common Issues and Errors with Multimedia Messaging (MMS)
Unable to Send or Receive Picture, Video, or Audio Messages
Send an MMS Message to Customers with Other Wireless Carriers
Cause:
Image file might be incompatible.
Fix:
Overview

Sending multimedia messages is possible to internal and to external carriers based on the OMA (Open Mobile Alliance) guidelines. OMA was established in June 2002 to build a universal platform that allowed the sending and receiving of multimedia in various file types.

IMPORTANT: 
  • The maximum size for sending and receiving an MMS message is device-dependent.
  • Some video phones record up to 10 minutes of video. However, you will only be able to send short video clips through the AT&T network, up to 600 KB or 60 seconds.
  • Recipient's network may have size limitations beyond our control (e.g. Verizon may have a smaller MMS size cap then AT&T).
  • The MMS message may indicate a URL that will need to be accessed via PC or Laptop, to retrieve the image file attached.
  • MMS messages can be sent to any e-mail address.
  • This functionality is available in all GSM/GPRS markets including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Caribbean markets are not included. 
  • When receiving a MMS message the wireless phone must support the file type. See "Device specifications of the..." for complete supported file types for each phone.

Compatible network and device file types
NOTE: Compatible file types vary from device to device. Review device specifications for more information.

Image files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of image files that can be viewed. Some supported image formats are:
  • JPEG (Baseline JPEG)
  • GIF 87a (still images)
  • GIF89a (animated images)
  • WBMP (Wireless bitmap still images)
  • BMP (still images)
  • PNG (still images)
  • WBMP (animated images)
Audio files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of audio files that can be played back. Some supported audio formats are:
  • MIDI
  • iMelody
  • AMR
  • SP
Video files come in several formats. The type of phone used to send and receive the video determines the kind of video files that can be played back (please review the device specifications). Some supported video formats are:
  • H.263
  • MPEG4
Note:
More information about Multimedia Messaging can be found at http://wireless.att.com/media/multimedia_messaging. For additional questions, please contact Customer Care.

Most common is trying to send something is the size limit exceeds the allowance.  ATT can limit MMS messages to 600K size on the network.  If the file is larger that can very well be the problem.

On the receive side it nromally turns out to be a problem in the format.  There are a lot of different file types that different phones use that are not always compatible on other devices.

Goal:
Supported Multimedia Message (MMS) File Types and Size Limitations
Symptom:
Common Issues and Errors with Multimedia Messaging (MMS)
Unable to Send or Receive Picture, Video, or Audio Messages
Send an MMS Message to Customers with Other Wireless Carriers
Cause:
Image file might be incompatible.
Fix:
Overview

Sending multimedia messages is possible to internal and to external carriers based on the OMA (Open Mobile Alliance) guidelines. OMA was established in June 2002 to build a universal platform that allowed the sending and receiving of multimedia in various file types.

IMPORTANT: 
  • The maximum size for sending and receiving an MMS message is device-dependent.
  • Some video phones record up to 10 minutes of video. However, you will only be able to send short video clips through the AT&T network, up to 600 KB or 60 seconds.
  • Recipient's network may have size limitations beyond our control (e.g. Verizon may have a smaller MMS size cap then AT&T).
  • The MMS message may indicate a URL that will need to be accessed via PC or Laptop, to retrieve the image file attached.
  • MMS messages can be sent to any e-mail address.
  • This functionality is available in all GSM/GPRS markets including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Caribbean markets are not included. 
  • When receiving a MMS message the wireless phone must support the file type. See "Device specifications of the..." for complete supported file types for each phone.

Compatible network and device file types
NOTE: Compatible file types vary from device to device. Review device specifications for more information.

Image files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of image files that can be viewed. Some supported image formats are:
  • JPEG (Baseline JPEG)
  • GIF 87a (still images)
  • GIF89a (animated images)
  • WBMP (Wireless bitmap still images)
  • BMP (still images)
  • PNG (still images)
  • WBMP (animated images)
Audio files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of audio files that can be played back. Some supported audio formats are:
  • MIDI
  • iMelody
  • AMR
  • SP
Video files come in several formats. The type of phone used to send and receive the video determines the kind of video files that can be played back (please review the device specifications). Some supported video formats are:
  • H.263
  • MPEG4
Note:
More information about Multimedia Messaging can be found at http://wireless.att.com/media/multimedia_messaging. For additional questions, please contact Customer Care.

3 of 4 (15,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 10:13:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

Theres no way that is the solution. Sometimes this error message will occur when it is a simple small picture taken by the iphone sent to another iphone. I took one and sent it and it went through, then i took another just like it and sent it and this error message was recieved...

The reciepient has already changed and updated his sim and done a reboot.

Has anyone else found any additional info on this? I can't find a thing by google...

Theres no way that is the solution. Sometimes this error message will occur when it is a simple small picture taken by the iphone sent to another iphone. I took one and sent it and it went through, then i took another just like it and sent it and this error message was recieved...

The reciepient has already changed and updated his sim and done a reboot.

Has anyone else found any additional info on this? I can't find a thing by google...

4 of 4 (13,450 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments