nokia E71x random rebooting/restarting problems

Contributor

nokia E71x random rebooting/restarting problems

well i just got my new e71X a few days ago and theres one problem iv been having it randomly reboots not all the way where it turns off but it will close what ever im going screen goes black and says "nokia" on it then it gose back to the menu. its really annyoing while it does this while im texting or writing emails. iv been looking all over the place for a fix to this and i cant find anything. i have not added any apps everything on the phone is still from out of package the only thing that i added was a memory card but it did this before i added that.
Message 1 of 60
Mentor

Re: nokia E71x random rebooting/restarting problems

For grins, try a factory reset (after backup)

*#7370#

Else you may have a faulty handset

Message 2 of 60
Scholar

You're not alone. This happens to me too. I'm now on my second faulty E71x.
Message 3 of 60
Guru

just4ivaylo wrote:

Does anyone know if AT&T has had anything to say about all the faulty phones or a possible firmware update?  The E71x has the potential to be an amazing phone, but there are WAY too many issues with it on AT&T's network right now.

Message 4 of 60
Mentor

DanG82 wrote:

just4ivaylo wrote:

Does anyone know if AT&T has had anything to say about all the faulty phones or a possible firmware update?  The E71x has the potential to be an amazing phone, but there are WAY too many issues with it on AT&T's network right now.

I think this is ATTs way of saying "If you want a phone that is more than a phone, don't buy from me"Smiley Wink.  My E71x has odd issues, but nothing that I would want to give it up for.  BUT, its enough to push me away from their branded phones.

Message 5 of 60
Scholar

I definitely agree on that one. This was my first Nokia phone with Symbian, and it will be my last from ATT. 
Message 6 of 60
Mentor

The issue is happening with various Nokia 3G phones either AT&T-branded or unbranded/unlocked. The issue seems only to happen in areas that have deployed 3 WCDMA (3G) carrier channels. Some users also report poor battery life. Users are reporting when they travel to areas where there sre not 3 WCDMA carriers the issue goes away and returns as soon as they relocate.

Personally I have the Nokia E71-2 (unbranded/unlocked, purchased from Nokia before AT&T released the E71x) and have the same issues in Miami, FL. Hard reset does not help. Issue seems to be worse during peak hours (e.g. phone is likely to reboot at 6PM while driving on I-95, phone is very unlikely to reboot at 3AM while at home). Honestly I don't know how to tell if the issue is really AT&T's network or the chipset and/or firmware on the Nokia phones.

More information for your reading:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1563760

http://mobilewiseguy.com/2009/08/16/nokia-e71-nokia-surge-and-nokia-6650-sales-stopped-in-south-florida.aspx?ref=rss

The 3G Nokia's have been stopped from being sold in South Florida by AT&T in any of their retail corporate stores or indirect stores. These 3G Nokia models are shutting off by themselves and rebooting. The problem is not the cell phones but in the South Florida market only it is caused by a network issue on AT&T that only effects these 3G Nokia models.

Message 7 of 60
Scholar

My E71x does this partial shutdown/rebooting too.  Sometimes it comes back on its own after freezing that way for a while, sometimes I have to power off and on again to get it to come back.  Mine does it 3-5 times a day some days.  And it does it most of the time when I am at home, which does NOT have 3G coverage.
Message 8 of 60
Master

joako wrote:

The issue is happening with various Nokia 3G phones either AT&T-branded or unbranded/unlocked. The issue seems only to happen in areas that have deployed 3 WCDMA (3G) carrier channels. Some users also report poor battery life. Users are reporting when they travel to areas where there sre not 3 WCDMA carriers the issue goes away and returns as soon as they relocate.

Personally I have the Nokia E71-2 (unbranded/unlocked, purchased from Nokia before AT&T released the E71x) and have the same issues in Miami, FL. Hard reset does not help. Issue seems to be worse during peak hours (e.g. phone is likely to reboot at 6PM while driving on I-95, phone is very unlikely to reboot at 3AM while at home). Honestly I don't know how to tell if the issue is really AT&T's network or the chipset and/or firmware on the Nokia phones.

More information for your reading:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1563760

http://mobilewiseguy.com/2009/08/16/nokia-e71-nokia-surge-and-nokia-6650-sales-stopped-in-south-florida.aspx?ref=rss

The 3G Nokia's have been stopped from being sold in South Florida by AT&T in any of their retail corporate stores or indirect stores. These 3G Nokia models are shutting off by themselves and rebooting. The problem is not the cell phones but in the South Florida market only it is caused by a network issue on AT&T that only effects these 3G Nokia models.

Since you have an unbranded E71-2, have you tried turning off the 3G network access?  Not an ideal solution, but it may at least help reduce the frustration associated with random reboots.  

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 60
Mentor

If I turn off my 3G will Nokia refund me for the 3G that doesn't work? Will AT&T give me a discount on the service? If the answer is yes I might just give it a try. Otherwise I will buy another phone and continue with my life.

I tried to call AT&T about this issue I didn't elaborate on the origins of my E71-2 and it seemed like the agent I talked to believed I had an E71x.... Of course (as expected) I got nowhere. I was told the E71x is no longer sold (for no particular reason) and that some issue regarding messaging was resolved a few months back -- nothing in their records regarding random rebooting or battery life issues. Of course I talked to the fake tech support because I have better things to do than argue with these people to talk to the real tech support.

Nokia e-mail care reps in the Inida or the Phillepeans also deny there being any issues with this phone,

Message 10 of 60
Contributor

i have the nokia e71x.  it reboots randomly and when i lose wifi connections.  it really is a horrible phone.  if anyone has any luck with getting a refund/exchange, please let me know.  i gave this phone the benefit of the doubt based on nokia's reputation.  but i think att's software is mostly to blame for the troubles and now i am past the 30-day return window.  i really wish now that i had stayed with verizon....  not happy with nokia and not happy with att. spread the word to avoid this phone.  i would also avoid att at this point.
Message 11 of 60
Master

joako wrote:

If I turn off my 3G will Nokia refund me for the 3G that doesn't work? Will AT&T give me a discount on the service? If the answer is yes I might just give it a try. Otherwise I will buy another phone and continue with my life.

I tried to call AT&T about this issue I didn't elaborate on the origins of my E71-2 and it seemed like the agent I talked to believed I had an E71x.... Of course (as expected) I got nowhere. I was told the E71x is no longer sold (for no particular reason) and that some issue regarding messaging was resolved a few months back -- nothing in their records regarding random rebooting or battery life issues. Of course I talked to the fake tech support because I have better things to do than argue with these people to talk to the real tech support.

Nokia e-mail care reps in the Inida or the Phillepeans also deny there being any issues with this phone,

No - at&t doesn't charge any differently for 3G vs. 2G service, so there would not be any refunds/service discounts available for turning off 3G network access.  But random reboots/battery life, etc. have long been an issue for users with a 3G device in marginal 3G coverage areas.  Unfortunately at&t removes the ability to turn off 3G network access from their own branded models; but since you have an unbranded E71-2, I just wondered if you had tried doing so in order to see if it improves the performance of the E71-2 for you. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by hme83 on 09-23-2009 11:03:47 AM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 12 of 60
Mentor

Just about everywhere I go I have full 3G reception. My main complaint is random rebooting.
Message 13 of 60
Scholar

joako wrote:
Just about everywhere I go I have full 3G reception. My main complaint is random rebooting.

Generally, issues like rebooting are related more to software rather than hardware. 

So i think its the glitch in AT&T firmware which somehow coupled with Nokia's hardware is causing this issue. 

It can be resolved, if AT&T decides to give a firmware update. But i guess this is not an iphone, so they don't 

like to spend their resources on it, else this is absolutely resolvable issue. 

Message 14 of 60
Master

hary536 wrote:

joako wrote:

Generally, issues like rebooting are related more to software rather than hardware. 

So i think its the glitch in AT&T firmware which somehow coupled with Nokia's hardware is causing this issue. 

It can be resolved, if AT&T decides to give a firmware update. But i guess this is not an iphone, so they don't 

like to spend their resources on it, else this is absolutely resolvable issue. 

In this case the OP doesn't have at&t firmware as it's an unbranded E71-2.  About the only other thing I can think of that I'd at least double check is to make sure the SIM is installed properly/being held in place adequately by the SIM holder.  I'm not sure how the SIM holder is designed on the E71, but there have been issues with several SE and Nokia models where shimming the SIM has helped stop random reboots for many users.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 15 of 60
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support