new to International calling... calling USA to India mobile

Tutor

new to International calling... calling USA to India mobile

[ Edited ]

Hey, I have been trying to work out the best way to call a friend in India for 3 weeks now, two calling cards (Pingo, India LD), Skype app to India mobile phone, and now, as of a couple days ago, w/ATT world services.

with the calling cards I only got through once and it only last 14 mins. The other times I called it either didn't ring or they tried to pick up but it disconnected within 2 secs.

with Skype app to india mobile, I got through twice in a row, 6 mins, then 4mins., found out that the Indian carrier was terminating the calls (maybe they don't like internet based calls w/o a phone number?)

So I gave up on those, Now, w/ AT&T from my cell to India mobile: the first call had an error, then I have tried several times, rings then just says not answering call back. (I found out that they charge me as soon as it starts ringing, ??? never had this come up with domestic calling of any kind).

What I want to know is: if the person's phone is turned off, roaming, or out of range, does it ring just the same on my end as if it was turned on? How do you know if it is turned off or not?

no voicemail?

how successful is anyone else calling from ATT cell to India mobile 91 96 xxxxxxxx???

SMS, if I send an SMS and do not get a reply, how do I know if it is received on the other end?

Help!

Message 1 of 8 (4,458 Views)
Professor

Re: new to International calling... calling USA to India mobile

[ Edited ]

Do you have international long distance activated on your ATT account?  Its not activated by default, you need to call and set it up (dial 611 on your ATT phone).  You will not be able to make calls to other countries until you do so.

Also, so you have the correct dial pattern?  Calling international, should have the format:  011-country code-phone number.  In this case, India should be 011-91-etc.

Ring behaviour and how it picks up, goes to voicemail, etc. is dependent on the phone system of the person you are calling (the India cell carrier).  Its not controlled by ATT.  In the US, if a cell phone is turned off our out of range, it will typically go straight to voicemail without ringing, but I don't know if that is the case for the India cell carrier you are discussing.

As far as I know, there is no mechanism for delivery/receipt confimation of a text message.

Message 2 of 8 (4,431 Views)
Guru

Another problem is network congestion on the receiving carrier's end.  We've all had that missed call where we were watching the phone, couldn't have missed the ring, and were in a strong coverage area.  Notwithstanding this, the call goes to voicemail.  That is usually due to network congestion on the receiving end.  Based on my limited experience in India, congestion and India are synonymous.  

Message 3 of 8 (4,417 Views)
Tutor

I found out the person I was trying to call was out of town for easter holidays and had the phone turned off. (I didn't realize they celebrated, as it is not a holiday most ppl in India celebrate).

Yes, I have AT&T World Connect already, too expensive otherwise.

I'm taking note of your comments on congestion, however, there doesn't seem to be an option for voicemail. Since the phone was turned off, it is obvious that, no matter if the Indian phone is on/off/roaming/out of range/busy, it will ring on my end, with no option to leave a message. So I just have to coordinate w/the other person for the timing.

Are there others of you that have calls to India not go through due to congestion?

I am still wondering about SMS, if calling is so vague, then how do I know the SMS was received on the other end?

I am also still appalled that they charge as soon as it starts ringing on my end, even if the phone is not answered. I have never been charged this way in the US ever. And neither do the calling cards or skype charge for India calls not answered. Especially with the idea that congestion might keep from connecting on the other end. They need to change this policy immediately!

Message 4 of 8 (4,405 Views)
Professor

benji888 wrote:

I am also still appalled that they charge as soon as it starts ringing on my end, even if the phone is not answered. I have never been charged this way in the US ever. And neither do the calling cards or skype charge for India calls not answered. Especially with the idea that congestion might keep from connecting on the other end. They need to change this policy immediately!

My thinking is that they need to do this, because the foreign cell carrier is charging ATT for air time once the phone starts ringing, and ATT isn't just going to absorb that cost.  I don't know this for fact, but it seems logical that the foreign carrier is providing a service (and not a cheap on, at that) by ringing or trying to ring the phone, and they aren't going to do it for free.

Also, with network congestion on the foreign carrier's network, there really isn't anything that ATT can do about that.  All ATT does is act as an intermediary to get you connected to the foreign carrier.  Any negotiation of how charges would be handled in this case would probably be complicated ones, as it would involve ATT negotiating with the foreign carrier.

It wouldn't hurt to call ATT and voice your concerns about the charges, particularly based on the congestion issue you mentioned.  Not sure if they can do much, but who knows?  The worst they can say is 'no'.

Message 5 of 8 (4,395 Views)
Tutor

Now I'm trying to call, it rings about 10 times, pause, then it gives me message "your call did not go through..." ??? WHAT? Why does it ring ten times if it didn't go through? Why doesn't it go through? I've never had this problem in the US unless it was a major holiday, and then I might get a "all circuits busy" message or something like that, but it doesn't ring ten times first!!

Someone please explain to me how international calling works as opposed to calling someone in the continental US? I really do not understand!

Message 6 of 8 (4,382 Views)
Professor

As I already mentioned, the behaviour you mentioned is a factor of the phone system in India.   It has nothing to do with the phone system here.   The phone systems in different countries work completely different from each other.  That's why its acting differently then you are accustomed to for domestic US calls.  You can't expect things to work the same all over the world, it just doesn't work that way.

Message 7 of 8 (4,362 Views)
Tutor

I had no idea the US had such a superior phone system, I mean, last time I called, it took 3 tries for it to go through. AT&T is making some big $ on international calls. As I stated before, the calling cards, Skype app to mobile phone, they charge much less, but if the call does not go through, they do not charge me for the call at all, only when it actually goes through and have an open line to the other person do they start charging me. AT&T needs to change their policy, no excuses. (yes, I know, those other options are not as good service as AT&T, but, they are shrewd/astute.)

Message 8 of 8 (4,336 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.