Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 25, 2011
3:23:31 PM
new phone

I've got a new phone coming in the mail (Samsung Flight II). I like the slide out, the touch screen and such. I wish it had threaded texting. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good texting phone from AT&T? I'd prefer a side slider for the bigger keyboard as I have sausage fingers. I looked at the Pantech Ease but it seems awfully cheap. I'm not opposed to buying discontinued models either. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

I've got a new phone coming in the mail (Samsung Flight II). I like the slide out, the touch screen and such. I wish it had threaded texting. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good texting phone from AT&T? I'd prefer a side slider for the bigger keyboard as I have sausage fingers. I looked at the Pantech Ease but it seems awfully cheap. I'm not opposed to buying discontinued models either. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

new phone

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 5:29:54 PM
(0)
Master

Check out the LG Vu Plus or the (discontinued) LG Xenon. I've heard Xenon's start getting bad around a year or so, so maybe I would recommend the Vu Plus over these two choices... The Vu Plus has a (side) slide-out QWERTY keyboard, AND a full touchscreen. It's fairly nice looking as well. Let me know what you think. Smiley Happy Also keep note, there is a pretty cool QMD to be released in the next few months or so. It's called the HTC Freestyle. It's not half-bad, either. Smiley Wink I think it has a QWERTY, at least the last time I checked.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Check out the LG Vu Plus or the (discontinued) LG Xenon. I've heard Xenon's start getting bad around a year or so, so maybe I would recommend the Vu Plus over these two choices... The Vu Plus has a (side) slide-out QWERTY keyboard, AND a full touchscreen. It's fairly nice looking as well. Let me know what you think. Smiley Happy Also keep note, there is a pretty cool QMD to be released in the next few months or so. It's called the HTC Freestyle. It's not half-bad, either. Smiley Wink I think it has a QWERTY, at least the last time I checked.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

Re: new phone

2 of 3 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:29:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Hydrogin on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:31:10 AM

I've had the LG Vu Plus for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it for voice and messaging. The capacitive touch screen works well, is bright and easy to read, and supports different font sizes. I really like the slider keyboard. The keys are slightly domed and large, but they're also spaced closely together, so it takes a little time to get used to. The one downside is there are function keys along the left edge - if you accidentally hit them, they can inadvertently start a data service application. Message threading is nice. Voice commands and caller announcement via synthesized voice is also nice (hope to get that working with a bluetooth speaker for the car for real hands-free operation). The two biggest negatives IMO so far are ... sync of contacts with PC is not supported and battery life isn't as long as some of my previous phones. If you have lots of contacts, you'll have to transfer them using your sim card (AT&T store can copy contacts from your old sim card to a new one if you get a new sim card). I need to figure out if there are some options I can disable to increase battery life.

Overall, for voice and messaging, its a nice phone. You can get it on upgrade/contract from Costco's website with a good subsidized price and *no* requirement for a $20/mo messaging feature (that most others require). That was the best deal I could find on the Vu Plus (and you don't even have to be a Costco member if you order via their website).

I've had the LG Vu Plus for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it for voice and messaging. The capacitive touch screen works well, is bright and easy to read, and supports different font sizes. I really like the slider keyboard. The keys are slightly domed and large, but they're also spaced closely together, so it takes a little time to get used to. The one downside is there are function keys along the left edge - if you accidentally hit them, they can inadvertently start a data service application. Message threading is nice. Voice commands and caller announcement via synthesized voice is also nice (hope to get that working with a bluetooth speaker for the car for real hands-free operation). The two biggest negatives IMO so far are ... sync of contacts with PC is not supported and battery life isn't as long as some of my previous phones. If you have lots of contacts, you'll have to transfer them using your sim card (AT&T store can copy contacts from your old sim card to a new one if you get a new sim card). I need to figure out if there are some options I can disable to increase battery life.

Overall, for voice and messaging, its a nice phone. You can get it on upgrade/contract from Costco's website with a good subsidized price and *no* requirement for a $20/mo messaging feature (that most others require). That was the best deal I could find on the Vu Plus (and you don't even have to be a Costco member if you order via their website).

Re: new phone

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (513 Views)