Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 29, 2008
11:54:47 PM
View profile
network coverage of GSM 1900
Okay so i am really stoked about buying a Motorola E1000 Cell phone. however the only ones that i can find are on eBay and are from the UK. And therefore they only use the networks: GSM 900 1800 1900 & UMTS 2100. I am wondering if AT&T supports these networks and will they be sufficient enough to use the network.. I currently go to school in Spokane, and my home is back in Southern MN.

WIll only using a GMS 1900 (i think this is the only network on the phone that AT&T uses) severly effect my calling ability?

I have half a mind to just buy the phone test it out but it would be expensive.. is there a better way to test this?

thanks!
Okay so i am really stoked about buying a Motorola E1000 Cell phone. however the only ones that i can find are on eBay and are from the UK. And therefore they only use the networks: GSM 900 1800 1900 & UMTS 2100. I am wondering if AT&T supports these networks and will they be sufficient enough to use the network.. I currently go to school in Spokane, and my home is back in Southern MN.

WIll only using a GMS 1900 (i think this is the only network on the phone that AT&T uses) severly effect my calling ability?

I have half a mind to just buy the phone test it out but it would be expensive.. is there a better way to test this?

thanks!

network coverage of GSM 1900

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2008 12:14:15 AM
(0)
Master
 You want a phone that utilizes both the 850 & 1900 frequencies.  a 1900 only may not necessarily 'severely' effect your calling ability, but you will not be able to take full advantage of the system.
 You want a phone that utilizes both the 850 & 1900 frequencies.  a 1900 only may not necessarily 'severely' effect your calling ability, but you will not be able to take full advantage of the system.

Re: network coverage of GSM 1900

2 of 6 (511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2008 12:35:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
agreed.... get a phone that supports 850 as well.
agreed.... get a phone that supports 850 as well.

3 of 6 (507 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 12:31:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am in the same conundrum.....I love a phone to death, but it is a triband 900/1800/1900.

I am in the Dallas FW Area. Will it affect my ability?

Is there a map that shows where 850Mhz is in use? If it is used only in mid-american regions, I could go ahead with my purchase.

I am in the same conundrum.....I love a phone to death, but it is a triband 900/1800/1900.

Is there a map that shows where 850Mhz is in use? If it is used only in mid-american regions, I could go ahead with my purchase.

4 of 6 (488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 12:53:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

chikoo wrote:

If the airport is any indication you will be affected quite heavily I didn't even see an AT&T network there with a phone lacking 850MHz a couple of years ago, looked to be 850-only area.

chikoo wrote:

If the airport is any indication you will be affected quite heavily I didn't even see an AT&T network there with a phone lacking 850MHz a couple of years ago, looked to be 850-only area.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 12:55:20 PM
(0)
Master
By choosing a phone that does not support the 850 MHz band, you are making a choice that may severely impact your coverage. I'm not aware of any map that shows separate 850 & 1900 MHz coverage areas. In general, AT&T doesn't need to build as many towers to support the 850 MHz band as they would need with the 1900 MHz band. Also, in areas where there is 3G coverage, the 1900 MHz band is being used more for 3G services, while GSM/GPRS/EDGE are being used on the 850 MHz band. It all depends on how much bandwidth is available within your market. In the off chance that you would have reasonable coverage now, there is no guarantee that this will not change in the future.

Unless you plan on using your phone in a 1900 MHz only market, I wouldn't recommend it. And even then, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of 850 MHz roaming in those areas or take advantage if AT&T were to eventually acquire 850 MHz bandwidth in that market.

Wireless Advisor can be used to find out what bands AT&T is licensed to use in your area.
By choosing a phone that does not support the 850 MHz band, you are making a choice that may severely impact your coverage. I'm not aware of any map that shows separate 850 & 1900 MHz coverage areas. In general, AT&T doesn't need to build as many towers to support the 850 MHz band as they would need with the 1900 MHz band. Also, in areas where there is 3G coverage, the 1900 MHz band is being used more for 3G services, while GSM/GPRS/EDGE are being used on the 850 MHz band. It all depends on how much bandwidth is available within your market. In the off chance that you would have reasonable coverage now, there is no guarantee that this will not change in the future.

Unless you plan on using your phone in a 1900 MHz only market, I wouldn't recommend it. And even then, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of 850 MHz roaming in those areas or take advantage if AT&T were to eventually acquire 850 MHz bandwidth in that market.

Wireless Advisor can be used to find out what bands AT&T is licensed to use in your area.

6 of 6 (487 Views)