mysterious data transmissions

Tutor

mysterious data transmissions

Using an Iphone4

Practically every night between 1:00am and 2:00am I'm seeing on my AT&T data bill where a transmission occured, it's different lengths.   I'm at home, my phone is connected to my home wireless so it shouldn't even be using the AT&T network but it is.   I can't figure out what is using it and since the data plans are now limited I'm concerned it may cause me to use up data...  I'm not running any application and in fact, not using at that time of night.  So how do I figure out what is going on?

Thanks... Gary

Message 1 of 7
Scholar

Re: mysterious data transmissions

If you use the search function, you will find that a number of other threads have been opened on this topic and the solutions have been provided within. 

Message 2 of 7
Professor

Unforunately that's part of the AT&T data services. They are the ones doing it.

There are two ways to block this. Airplane Mode or settings/phone/data off.

You can keyword "Phantom Data Usage" on Google and AT&T, Verizon, and a few others haunt users like you by submitting diagnostic data nightly 30 MB each time.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

josephz2va wrote:

Unforunately that's part of the AT&T data services. They are the ones doing it.

Not sure what you mean by that.  AT&T is not doing anything to cause phones to use data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Tutor

After I posted the message I saw where others were having the same problem.   It's like a car dealer renting me a car based on mileage and every night they come over to my house and drive it somewhere and not tell me but charge me for it.

So one issue is that it's sending varous amounts of data to AT&T each night using my data plan of which I'm charged based on how much I use.  So if I buy the 200mb plan I'm really not getting 200mb I'm getting something less than that perhaps only 170mb since AT&T is using some of it for themselves if this is really an AT&T initiated phone communication where they are doing something.

So what happens if I'm outside the USA and the phone does it's thing and calls home at night, it's huge $$$ on international data roaming.   So while international if I want to use data I turn it on, use data then turn it off to keep the phone from having it's personal fun time?

The other thing is privacy?  What is it sending?  It is uploading my personal data?

... Gary

Message 5 of 7
Tutor

That's just it, no one is saying anything.   Something is sending data every night at a scheduled time.  AT&T isn't admitting to it, Apple isn't admitting to it.   If it's not Apple or AT&T then it's a virus or some application doing it but there is no way to find out where it's coming from?

I would think this would be a huge privacy issue with phones sending data every night and no one knows to who or for what reason?

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

yeah, it's NOT sending data at night though. It's just showing up at night in the AT&T log of your data use. People are using data all day, doing whatever they're doing, and some of that data is reported in a lump at night. Coupled with overworked and somewhat clueless but well meaing reps trying to answer what these data reports mean and giving confusing answers that incorrectly imply the data is SENT at night, vs actually just being logged at night, and you get endless repeating of the same misinformation over and over.

All you need to do is be sure you did NOT consent to send Apple "diagnostic data" - if you did, google around for how to change your mind.

After that you can be sure that every byte reported as used by AT&T *AND* your iphone's own 3G data logs will both perfectly match, and also represent SOMETHING you did. Be it facebook notifications, tweets, push email, web browsing, or anything else. If it's there, you did something to get it there. Even if its reported at 3AM the next morning.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support