Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 5, 2008
10:22:33 PM
View profile
my husband is going out of the country and I was wonderin...
my husband is going out of the country and I was wondering if he's cell phone will still work or if we need to change our plan
my husband is going out of the country and I was wondering if he's cell phone will still work or if we need to change our plan

my husband is going out of the country and I was wonderin...

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 12:52:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

justkayla wrote:
It depends on what phone he has, where he is going and so on. Here's a handy tool to check.

justkayla wrote:
It depends on what phone he has, where he is going and so on. Here's a handy tool to check.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: my husband is going out of the country and I was wonderin...

2 of 7 (5,109 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 9:06:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
He needs:

1)  The right hardware to connect to the network of the country he is travelling in (as indicated in the reply above).
2)  Activate international roaming

Call AT&T International Customer Service (800-335-4685) to activate international roaming.  They are very helpful and will tell you everything you need to know. 

Be sure that he has the non-800 number for calling International CS while overseas (+1-916-843-4685), he won't be able to call the 800 number once abroad.  Even if you do everything correctly, you may still have issues connecting at first, I did the first time I tried to use my phone in Japan (but CS fixed it up in minutes).
He needs:

1)  The right hardware to connect to the network of the country he is travelling in (as indicated in the reply above).
2)  Activate international roaming

Call AT&T International Customer Service (800-335-4685) to activate international roaming.  They are very helpful and will tell you everything you need to know. 

Be sure that he has the non-800 number for calling International CS while overseas (+1-916-843-4685), he won't be able to call the 800 number once abroad.  Even if you do everything correctly, you may still have issues connecting at first, I did the first time I tried to use my phone in Japan (but CS fixed it up in minutes).
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (5,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 12:36:30 PM
(0)
Guru
As I've noted before, it is always a good thing to have a back up plan in case roaming fails for one reason or another.  A good calling card, a Skype account on your laptop, a roaming SIM, etc. is always good.  Also make sure your home line can place an international call.  If worse comes to worse, you can call him at the hotel.
As I've noted before, it is always a good thing to have a back up plan in case roaming fails for one reason or another.  A good calling card, a Skype account on your laptop, a roaming SIM, etc. is always good.  Also make sure your home line can place an international call.  If worse comes to worse, you can call him at the hotel.

4 of 7 (5,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 2:49:45 PM
(0)
Guru

stufried wrote:
If worse comes to worse, you can call him at the hotel.

It will probably be cheaper.

stufried wrote:

5 of 7 (5,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2008 7:10:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SMHarman wrote:

stufried wrote:

As long as she calls him, yes probably! 

Just as don't call the US from the hotel, they usually charge something like $4 a minute!

SMHarman wrote:

stufried wrote:

As long as she calls him, yes probably! 

Just as don't call the US from the hotel, they usually charge something like $4 a minute!

6 of 7 (5,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2008 8:21:43 AM
(0)
Guru
The way I find this thing usually works best is the person in the hotel sends a text saying call me (cost 50c) and the recipient calls from the US on their landline at 5c a minute or whatever their plan rate is.

The way I find this thing usually works best is the person in the hotel sends a text saying call me (cost 50c) and the recipient calls from the US on their landline at 5c a minute or whatever their plan rate is.

7 of 7 (5,025 Views)