Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 15, 2011
9:52:59 AM
lost iphone 4 - should i cancel it now or wait to track it?

i lost my iphone 4 yesterday at the mall Smiley Sad

the phone is turned off, so i cant cancel it. but i put a lock code on it from http://www.me.com so they cant get in.. unless they go to the apple store and make some ridiculous excuse up for getting locked out lol. i have unlimited everything, so i dont have to worry about them charging anything right?

should i cancel it now or wait a week or something?

i lost my iphone 4 yesterday at the mall Smiley Sad

the phone is turned off, so i cant cancel it. but i put a lock code on it from http://www.me.com so they cant get in.. unless they go to the apple store and make some ridiculous excuse up for getting locked out lol. i have unlimited everything, so i dont have to worry about them charging anything right?

should i cancel it now or wait a week or something?

lost iphone 4 - should i cancel it now or wait to track it?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 11:16:16 AM
(0)
Guru
Cancel now. They could make international calls which could rack up a large bill. No reason to wait!
Cancel now. They could make international calls which could rack up a large bill. No reason to wait!

Re: lost iphone 4 - should i cancel it now or wait to track it?

2 of 3 (3,872 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 5:47:11 PM
(0)
Master

Send one last message to your phone using MobileMe on how to contact you if found and offer a reward.  Then suspend the line immediately.

Please, DO NOT CANCEL.

If you cancel your line you will have to pay an Early Termination Fee.

What you are wanting to do is Suspend the line.  That will prevent anyone from using the phone on your account.  Once you suspend the line you will not be responsible from that point on for charges if anyone attempts to use the phone.

If you happen to find the phone you can have it un-suspended.  If not when you get a new phone it will have a new SIM card and will be attached to your account at that time.

How do I report a lost or stolen phone?
From the Suspend or Reactivate Your Service screen, select Suspend next to the phone line you wish to have suspended.

Question:
How do I report a lost or stolen phone?What should I do if I lose my phone?What should I do if my phone is stolen?Answer:
If your phone becomes lost or stolen, you should suspend your wireless service to protect against unauthorized usage. Our system will then indicate that your phone is lost or stolen.   

To suspend or reactivate your wireless service, follow these instructions: 

TaskSteps 
Suspend your wireless service 
(online)
  1. Log in to your myWireless Account.
  2. Select the My Services link under My Account.
  3. From the My Services screen, select the Suspend/Reactivate Service link under Device Support.
  4. From the Suspend or Reactivate Your Service screen, select Suspend next to the phone line you wish to have suspended.
  5. Select Confirm to suspend your wireless service.
Note: After you have suspended your wireless service, your phone cannot be used to make or receive calls, forward calls, retrieve voicemail, or access data services. Suspending your wireless service does not release your wireless phone number. We will retain your wireless number for you.  
Reactivate your wireless service 
(online)
  1.  Log in to your myWireless Account.
  2. Select the My Services link under My Account.
  3. From the My Services screen, select the Suspend/Reactivate Service link under Device Support.
  4. If you have previously reported your phone lost or stolen, the Status of your phone will display as Lost & Suspended.
  5. Select Activate next to the phone line for which you wish to reactivate service.
  6. Select Confirm to reactivate your wireless service.
Note: Test your phone to ensure it makes and receives calls as usual. If you experience issues with your wireless service after reactivating it online, contact AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.
Suspend or reactivate your service 
(by phone)
Contact AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500

You must be registered and logged in to your myWireless Account to suspend or reactivate your wireless service online.