Helpful Links

looking for new phone...non-smartphone

Contributor

looking for new phone...non-smartphone

I'm kind of getting the feeling that I'm being bullied into purchasing a smartphone...and thereby having to purchase a data plan.  The selection of non-smartphones really stinks.  My family doesn't need nor do I want to pay for data plans.  Has anyone found any of the non-smartphones to be decent?  I was looking at the Samsung Solstict II but the reviews were terrible.  In addition, my husband is looking for a rugged phone and there isn't even one in that category.  I'm actually checking out other carriers just to get a decent phone.  I realize most carriers will be trying to push customers towards smartphones.

How frustrating though!  Ugh.

Thanks!

Karen

Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: looking for new phone...non-smartphone

I would consider the Samsung Flight II. Definitely stay away from the Solstice II. The original Solstice was much better.

And you're completely right. Pretty soon, the only phones available will be smartphones. They've become a thing of the future.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 5

Nobody's forcing you to buy a smartphone, and you're certainly welcome to buy a phone at full price from the secondary market rather than be forced to accept AT&T's limited selection of feature phones. Smartphones are profitable and a growth market in most of the world, which is why manufacturers are going to focus on them. Carriers like them because they can require expensive add-ons like data or messaging plans. Personally, I also go with Nokia's for my non-smartphone devices. They're not big on the "gee whiz" factor, but they work.

Here are the rugged phones that AT&T sells. I think the Casio G'zOne is Verizon-only.

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

You haven't looked at ATT messaging phones well enough to see that they have not released a new phone in 6 months. If all the other messaging phones they offer cannot get even a remotely good review or star rating you are being forced by the company to look elsewhere. You even stated it in your response "buy a phone...from the secondary market rather than be forced to accept AT&T's limited selection of feature phones."
Message 4 of 5
Expert

kfausey wrote:

I'm kind of getting the feeling that I'm being bullied into purchasing a smartphone...and thereby having to purchase a data plan.  The selection of non-smartphones really stinks.  My family doesn't need nor do I want to pay for data plans.  Has anyone found any of the non-smartphones to be decent?  I was looking at the Samsung Solstict II but the reviews were terrible.  In addition, my husband is looking for a rugged phone and there isn't even one in that category.  I'm actually checking out other carriers just to get a decent phone.  I realize most carriers will be trying to push customers towards smartphones.

How frustrating though!  Ugh.

Thanks!

Karen

Not sure if you've gotten your new phone or not but look into the Messaging phones. My husband didn't need or have a use for a smartphone, even though, that's basically MOST of what there were to choose from in our ATT Corp store...and VERY little non-smartphones. He ended up with the Pantech Ease and seems to like it. You MAY be required to have a Messaging Plan if you do purchase a Messaging phone, so just be aware of that...not sure if ATT dropped that requirement or not. 

As for rugged phones, that's what my husband origanally wanted but there wasn't a huge selection...maybe 1 to pick from and NOT the one he wanted. 

Don't let them talk you into a smartphone...it seems the last 2 times that I've upgraded, all the CSR tried to push on me was the iPhone. I wonder if they make an extra commission from them??? If it's any consolation, you can always try Best Buy...that's where I purchased my current phone and the price was right. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support