long-standing customer means nothing to at&t

Contributor

long-standing customer means nothing to at&t

I've been a loyal at&t customer since 2006 and have multiple lines on my account. I lost my phone and have no backup....I'm eligible for a discounted 2-yr contract price on 5/13.....28 days away.  They WON'T budge to get their loyal customer into a phone and back up and running today.  Sure, I could buy a phone at full-price OR the cheap "can't believe they sell with a clear conscious" 9.99 samsung.  Thanks for nothing at&t, I will let all I meet and update my status every day so as many people as possible know how you treat your loyal customers.

Message 1 of 29 (902 Views)
Employee

Re: long-standing customer means nothing to at&t

I fail to see what's wrong. you are not eligible for the upgrade. being with a company for many years doesn't give you the right to ask for you're not entitled to.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 29 (876 Views)

[ Edited ]

I fail to see what's wrong. you are not eligible for the upgrade. being with a company for many years doesn't give you the right to ask for you're not entitled to.

True. But it's somewhat ridic. that AT&T won't extend the contract 2yrs and give the phone... why not, is the question here. Why not extend the contract by 2yrs (so 2yrs+~month) and give the customer what (s)he wants?

Same question applies should this have happened after the 1st year into the 2-year contract (e.g. lost the phone at month 14, extend the contract another 24 months (now total of 30 months) and give discounted prices).

Isn't this win-win? AT&T gets to guarantee their hold on the customer for additional time, and the customer is happy!

Message 3 of 29 (866 Views)
Expert

Printerscape wrote:

True. But it's somewhat ridic. that AT&T won't extend the contract 2yrs and give the phone... why not, is the question here. Why not extend the contract by 2yrs (so 2yrs+~month) and give the customer what (s)he wants?

Same question applies should this have happened after the 1st year into the 2-year contract (e.g. lost the phone at month 14, extend the contract another 24 months (now total of 30 months) and give discounted prices).

Isn't this win-win? AT&T gets to guarantee their hold on the customer for additional time, and the customer is happy!

No it is NOT a win-win situation for ATT, you are still within the period where you are responsible for your previously subsidized phone, now what might be feasible is to let you upgrade early but add the remaining payoff balance from your previous phone to the new one - 2 yr commitment + the remainng balance of the previous commitment, same with etf remaining balance of teh etf + new etf then they could give yu a replace ment phone. The bottom line here is your contract dictates the terms of your upgrade ot the length of time you have been a customer, this is true for any carrier.

Message 4 of 29 (858 Views)
Employee

Printerscape wrote:

yes but they would have had you for 48 months if they didn't upgrade you early. that's 18 months your may not be with them.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 29 (855 Views)

[ Edited ]

...let you upgrade early but add the remaining payoff balance...

That's entirely what I mean. Add up the ETF for the months that overlap each other. Otherwise that's a loophole; order like 10 smartphones and pay $250 (or is it $350?) ETF. Certainly not fair for AT&T.

yes but they would have had you for 48 months if they didn't upgrade you early. that's 18 months your may not be with them.

You're assuming that the customer would have stayed after the 2-year period, which entirely depends on the customer. AT&T is not "exclusive" anymore (i.e. they're not the only ones with specific phone(s), like the iPhone), if you're going to use that excuse (e.g. "they must stay with AT&T if they want that phone!").

Message 6 of 29 (827 Views)
Employee

If you stay with a carrier even though it doesn't work for you for a specific phone you need to re-prioritize yourself. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 29 (819 Views)

If you stay with a carrier even though it doesn't work for you for a specific phone you need to re-prioritize yourself. 

That's my entire point... The TC will most likely not stay with AT&T because of this "bad service". AT&T lost a customer just now.

AT&T could've bullied before because they were the ones with "the best phone" (iPhone), but now that other providers have it, they have no leverage.

Message 8 of 29 (817 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Printerscape wrote:

...let you upgrade early but add the remaining payoff balance...

That's entirely what I mean. Add up the ETF for the months that overlap each other. Otherwise that's a loophole; order like 10 smartphones and pay $250 (or is it $350?) ETF. Certainly not fair for AT&T.

You're assuming that the customer would have stayed after the 2-year period, which entirely depends on the customer. AT&T is not "exclusive" anymore (i.e. they're not the only ones with specific phone(s), like the iPhone), if you're going to use that excuse (e.g. "they must stay with AT&T if they want that phone!").

It is 325, so you order 10 smartphones, your etf would be 3,250.00.

And it is provider, there is only one other provider that has the iphone - and their technology shortcomings of no voice and data at the same time is a weight on the phone - have a att issued business iphone and a verizon issued iphone - I absolutley detest using the verizon iphone when in the territory that is better supported by that carrier - it impossible to conduct a business conference when you are referencing documents realtime on a server that are being shared. ATT has the definate edge for that simple reason

Message 9 of 29 (809 Views)

ATT has the definate edge for that simple reason

Oh please. Let's not get into "___ is a better provider than ___!" argument.

Message 10 of 29 (803 Views)
Expert

Printerscape wrote:

ATT has the definate edge for that simple reason

Oh please. Let's not get into "___ is a better provider than ___!" argument.

then why did you bring it up?

Bottom line - you are right long standing customer for any company rarely get the perks that they think they have the right to get just for paying for the service that they contracted for, your years of service get you just that - the service that you paid for and nothing else no matter what you think you deserve for it. Read your terms of service, tht is what you deserve, your upgrae date is set, it is when you should get it

Message 11 of 29 (643 Views)

then why did you bring it up?

To prove a point that there's nothing AT&T has that "forces" one person to stay with them anymore, aside fom the ETF (i.e. it was a response to JFizDaWiz, when he said AT&T would've had you for 48 months if they didn't upgrade you early in the hypothetical situation).

Message 12 of 29 (631 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

First off I am sorry you are having such a difficult time and that some of my co-workers have miss treated you. Sometimes the store managers are able to work magic depending on many things inclusing your account and if they (the store managers) have the stock or ok from the regional managment team.

My suggestion if they are not able to upgrade you now with a two year price is to get a GoPhone, you can use the phone and your post-paid sim card. This may tide you over till 5/28.

I hope a rep. either in the store or on the phone will take care of you so that you are back running.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Corporate Employee

This post by me are mine alone and do not represent the views or opinions of my employer. Please contact Customer Care (1-800-331-0500) for the most correct information. This post is meant to be informative and may not be the most accurate or current information.

This is NOT an official company response.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 29 (626 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are other ways to help a customer then saying they are not entitled to something.

{link removed}

Your right by the way your views DO NOT represent AT&T's position.

This post by me are mine alone and do not represent the views or opinions of my employer. Please contact Customer Care (1-800-331-0500) for the most correct information. This post is meant to be informative and may not be the most accurate or current information.

This is NOT an official company response.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 29 (625 Views)
Mentor

For some reason I can't use the quote feature.  Corp _ Rep you are the only nice rep I've seen on the board.  You are right there are other ways to let customers that something can't be done.  It is when the reps are down right rude about that turns customers away.  I can say that when my contract expires I'm calling Verizon back. 

Message 15 of 29 (596 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.