of droping the unlimited data plan from its customers who

have had it from the start?

Message 1 of 8 (569 Views)

Re: just another unlimited data useless question

No!
Message 2 of 8 (567 Views)
Professor

Eventually... probably when the user makes the decision to upgrade to an LTE device.

Message 3 of 8 (563 Views)
Professor

They don't need to look hard to find some way to drop unlimited data. All they have to do is say that your unlimited data is only valid as long as your current contract is in effect. When your contract runs out, or you get a new device and start a new contract, you'll have to choose a tiered data plan.

They could choose to announce that at any time, even today. They simply have chosen not to at this time.
Message 4 of 8 (530 Views)
ACE - Professor

Sonic1519 wrote:

Ok please no flaming. Does anyone think at&t will find some way

Yes. They will do it the way they are doing it now. They will freeze it for new features. The next new feature people will want will be 4G access, perhaps the grandfathered plan will be locked to 3g or slower only. Perhaps. Or, not available on whatever new iPhone finally does offer 4G, so if you want the iPhoneX, you need a new data plan because the old grandfathered plan isn't compatible.

Basically they'll just let it get less and less attractive naturally.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (517 Views)
Expert

johninsj wrote:

Sonic1519 wrote:

Ok please no flaming. Does anyone think at&t will find some way

Yes. They will do it the way they are doing it now. They will freeze it for new features. The next new feature people will want will be 4G access, perhaps the grandfathered plan will be locked to 3g or slower only. Perhaps. Or, not available on whatever new iPhone finally does offer 4G, so if you want the iPhoneX, you need a new data plan because the old grandfathered plan isn't compatible.

Basically they'll just let it get less and less attractive naturally.

Actually it might be easier then that - for those that are out of the two year commitment, that can just terminate the grandfather clause and force them to the tiered plan - the only reason they did the grandfather is to prevent giving the people that are under contract a way out with out paying the etf - it is documented in the service agreement

Message 6 of 8 (503 Views)
Tutor

Right now its a customer retention tool.  I have unmlited and  i am out of cointract  when i phone 5/4s comes out and the rumors are true of a true world muti-caarier phone.  I will have to see if i want to just back to verizon or sprint or stay on ATT.   While i don't use more in 500 megs or so most months.  its a nice safey net when i am traveling or something.     If I did buy the next iphone on contract (assumeing i don' buy unlocked )   and then they took away my unlimited that whould be a "materal change in terms" and alow me to break contract without cost  someting ATT wil avoid like the pleage.

Message 7 of 8 (289 Views)
Expert

glich wrote:

Right now its a customer retention tool.  I have unmlited and  i am out of cointract  when i phone 5/4s comes out and the rumors are true of a true world muti-caarier phone.  I will have to see if i want to just back to verizon or sprint or stay on ATT.   While i don't use more in 500 megs or so most months.  its a nice safey net when i am traveling or something.     If I did buy the next iphone on contract (assumeing i don' buy unlocked )   and then they took away my unlimited that whould be a "materal change in terms" and alow me to break contract without cost  someting ATT wil avoid like the pleage.

removal of a grandfathered feature is not "material change to a contract" considering you are entering into a brand new 2 yr contract when you upgrade. Data on a smartphone is not a 2 yr contract item, you can remove it any time by changing phones to one that does not require a data plan with no penalty. It does not work that way.

Message 8 of 8 (271 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.