Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 23, 2011
7:00:29 PM
View profile
is there such thing as a text message virus?

My tween daughter swears that she did not forward a suggestive text chain mail to 14 of her friends, as the text instructed.  But her phone shows that the message WAS forwarded to 14 of her friends.  She swears up and down that she did not send them. I wondered if anyone has heard of a text message virus that self sends itself to people in your contacts, like an email virus?  Please respond as soon as possible!  Thanks so much.

My tween daughter swears that she did not forward a suggestive text chain mail to 14 of her friends, as the text instructed.  But her phone shows that the message WAS forwarded to 14 of her friends.  She swears up and down that she did not send them. I wondered if anyone has heard of a text message virus that self sends itself to people in your contacts, like an email virus?  Please respond as soon as possible!  Thanks so much.

is there such thing as a text message virus?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 10:06:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not that I know of. I've never heard of one, either. However, I have had a friend that sort of had this happen to her before... She had an LG EnV 2 on Verizon that randomly called and messaged all of the phone numbers in her contacts in odd hours of the morning. I remember her telling me this and I thought it was very odd. Anyway, she exchanged the phone for a different one and hasn't had it happen since.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Not that I know of. I've never heard of one, either. However, I have had a friend that sort of had this happen to her before... She had an LG EnV 2 on Verizon that randomly called and messaged all of the phone numbers in her contacts in odd hours of the morning. I remember her telling me this and I thought it was very odd. Anyway, she exchanged the phone for a different one and hasn't had it happen since.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: is there such thing as a text message virus?

2 of 4 (1,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 7:05:21 AM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

I suspect that was the bug in Verizon's system and not the phone. My sisters are on Verizon and one of them called me one day wanting me to check my call logs because their phones where calling and texting people in their contacts list during the night. She was worried they had spread a virus amongst themselves. She gave me the days and I checked my logs. I did not see any calls are texts from her in the middle of the night, but I did for during the day. After confirming times, we discovered that Verizon's system had a.m. and p.m. flip flopped in it's system, so see was in fact looking at usage during the day and not at night like the system reported. I got a pretty good laugh out of that one.

Wild Banchi wrote:

I suspect that was the bug in Verizon's system and not the phone. My sisters are on Verizon and one of them called me one day wanting me to check my call logs because their phones where calling and texting people in their contacts list during the night. She was worried they had spread a virus amongst themselves. She gave me the days and I checked my logs. I did not see any calls are texts from her in the middle of the night, but I did for during the day. After confirming times, we discovered that Verizon's system had a.m. and p.m. flip flopped in it's system, so see was in fact looking at usage during the day and not at night like the system reported. I got a pretty good laugh out of that one.

3 of 4 (1,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 7:15:32 AM
(0)
Professor

bluegal2007 wrote:

There is probably a very, very slim chance this might have happened. Most malware for phones that access user information will only hijack it and send it over the internet to a server somewhere. I would find it odd that if it did happen, it managed to pick the 14 of her friends out of the contact list and no family members.

bluegal2007 wrote:

There is probably a very, very slim chance this might have happened. Most malware for phones that access user information will only hijack it and send it over the internet to a server somewhere. I would find it odd that if it did happen, it managed to pick the 14 of her friends out of the contact list and no family members.

4 of 4 (1,181 Views)