is there a flash player available for lg thrive?

Tutor

is there a flash player available for lg thrive?

Message 1 of 13 (3,056 Views)
Professor

Re: is there a flash player available for lg thrive?

Yes. It's included.

Message 2 of 13 (3,045 Views)
Master

Yes. Flash is readily available on all Android phones.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 13 (3,020 Views)
Tutor

Nope sorry bud. Unfortunately although it is an Android phone and it is running Froyo 2.2 which typically has flash integrated into it the phone simply can't handle it so this kernel of Froyo doesn't include flash. Your phone would need at least an ARMv7 processor to be able to handle it. I'd suggest getting Skyfire internet browser it will bring you as close to a full flash experience as possible.
Message 4 of 13 (3,007 Views)
Professor

Okay, I think you are prolly correct.

While I may not be aware of the flash player in action on my Thrive, I have not come across any app that requires it. How important to the OP is flash player?

Message 5 of 13 (2,993 Views)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:
Yes. Flash is readily available on all Android phones.

parker027 is correct. It depends on if the phone/device has an ARMv7 or newer processor. Adobe made the decision to support that version of processor when they release Flash for android phones. The HTC Aria and Motorola Backflip are good example of ARMv6 phone. The HTC Aria has a Flash Lite player from HTC that will process some Flash content. The Backflip can't process any Flash content.

parker027 wrote:
Nope sorry bud. Unfortunately although it is an Android phone and it is running Froyo 2.2 which typically has flash integrated into it the phone simply can't handle it so this kernel of Froyo doesn't include flash. Your phone would need at least an ARMv7 processor to be able to handle it. I'd suggest getting Skyfire internet browser it will bring you as close to a full flash experience as possible.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 13 (2,981 Views)

If you go to http://www.lgforum.com you can query for flash players and LG Thrive.  The Thrive does not come with one - not one that most sites can use.  About the only option for one is 10.2 version of Flash that is hacked so it can load on a Thrive.  It will require you to root your device.  This can easily be done with GingerBreak (on Google Market - free).  The copy of flash you'll have to find what site is carring it these days.  It loads and runs but will not run things like Hulu or Crackle - of which require 10.3 or higher.

You should upgrade your device before anything is done to it.  AT&T did release 2.2.2 which can be installed over the air.  With this version you can install 3rd party apps.

Not sure that anyone is porting 2.3 AOS to the Thrive.  Most say it is too slow to support Flash and other enhanced features.

I say - do it anyway.  I'll live with slow.

Message 7 of 13 (2,950 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have actually have found a version of Adobe flash player that works great on my LG Thrive, and it does not require a rooted phone, but you will have to go through the secret menu on your phone and enable Installation of apps from unknown sources. Here is a step by step guide to doing this and installing Adobe flash player.

- First you need to enter the phone's secret menu by dialing 3845#*506# ; then select the next to last option on the list "Unknown Sources Test" then tick the Unknown Sources check box and return to the home screen.

- Download the flash player from here: Adobe Flash Player 10.1.106.15

- Transfer the file to your phone.

- Then install it (if you do not already have an app installer just search for "Easy Installer" on the Google market and download it, then use it to install the adobe flash player).

- Now you should have full adobe flash access on your LG Thrive (I hope this will work on all LG Thrives, but it may not.)

This version of adobe flash player works great on my phone, every flash game that I have tried plays almost as well on my phone as on a computer, except for the small screen. Some flash games sites, like Addicting Games.com, will not allow me to enter them because they do not think that the LG Thrive is flash compatible but most game sites work great. We cannot download the new version of Adobe flash from the Google market because for some reason Adobe does not support the type of processors that are in the LG Thrive and allot of other phones. It is not because they are not powerful enough to run it either, adobe just decided not to support them. Some of the older visions work because I think that adobe was trying to support this possessor type at first, but then for some reason they decided to stop.

Message 8 of 13 (2,740 Views)
Contributor

Update: After some more testing I found out that this version of flash is not quite fully funtional, but it is better than nothing. Some flash games play almost as well on my phone as on a computer, except for the small screen; some flash games run, but are slow; while some games will not run or will even kick you out of the web site. Some flash games sites, like addicting games.com, will not allow you to enter them because they do not think that the LG Thrive is flash compatible and some sites just do not run very well. I have not tried to play flash videos much but it seems to work alright on the YouTube web site.

Message 9 of 13 (2,715 Views)

So regarding flash.  Regardless of which phone I get.  Is that what is need to watch youtibe.  Or does youtube use something else besides flash.  I know a lot of apps don't use flash others say here.  But I like youtube and if that never worked then I need to rethink my purchase.  Cuz "AVAIL and THRIVE" are the only cheap att androids.  Or maybe that is why they are cheap.

Message 10 of 13 (2,327 Views)
Master

autismdefensedotcom wrote:

So regarding flash.  Regardless of which phone I get.  Is that what is need to watch youtibe.  Or does youtube use something else besides flash.  I know a lot of apps don't use flash others say here.  But I like youtube and if that never worked then I need to rethink my purchase.  Cuz "AVAIL and THRIVE" are the only cheap att androids.  Or maybe that is why they are cheap.

Flash is not particularly needed to watch YouTube videos, but I have come across some videos on my iPhone that could not be played due to Apple's lack of Flash. You should not need to worry about it - you'll be fine.

Message 11 of 13 (1,938 Views)

I switched to att avail and youtube works great thanks.  At least youtube.com does.  At least the couple I clicked on work fine.

Message 12 of 13 (1,932 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Good to hear. You are welcome.

Message 13 of 13 (1,929 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.