Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 13, 2011
5:25:17 PM
View profile
iphone4 voice navigation?

I was very impressed with my friend's Verizon Android (Droid) phone's navigation with voice directions. Does the Maps app that comes with the iphone4 support voice directions and if so how do I turn it on? TIA.

I was very impressed with my friend's Verizon Android (Droid) phone's navigation with voice directions. Does the Maps app that comes with the iphone4 support voice directions and if so how do I turn it on? TIA.

iphone4 voice navigation?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 5:32:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
No, Google Navigation isn't on the iPhone. Google Navigation is necessary for voice guided navigation. Try Mapquest 4 Mobile to get free voice guided turn by turn directions.
No, Google Navigation isn't on the iPhone. Google Navigation is necessary for voice guided navigation. Try Mapquest 4 Mobile to get free voice guided turn by turn directions.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iphone4 voice navigation?

2 of 11 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 6:10:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There are many map apps in the app store, several with turn by turn voice navigation and (more importantly) maps stored on the device - driving 200 miles and downloading maps all the way would be an interesting experiment in data use and latency.

I use Copilot Live USA http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copilot-live-usa/id373661427?mt=8&tduid=06183a3998a23350585adfaa2e02f...

That's $5 plus $3 in-app purchase for voice navigation. $8 for real GPS nav is a pretty decent deal Smiley Wink

There are many map apps in the app store, several with turn by turn voice navigation and (more importantly) maps stored on the device - driving 200 miles and downloading maps all the way would be an interesting experiment in data use and latency.

I use Copilot Live USA http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copilot-live-usa/id373661427?mt=8&tduid=06183a3998a23350585adfaa2e02f0f0&affId=1322994

That's $5 plus $3 in-app purchase for voice navigation. $8 for real GPS nav is a pretty decent deal Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 1:56:55 AM
(0)
Master

I have a few different GPS applications and out of them I would have to rate them as (best to worst)

Navigon > TomTom > CoPilot

I have a few different GPS applications and out of them I would have to rate them as (best to worst)

4 of 11 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 4:22:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

davidsf wrote:

An app that I have been very impressed with is called, MotionX-GPS Drive.

MisterM

davidsf wrote:

An app that I have been very impressed with is called, MotionX-GPS Drive.

MisterM

5 of 11 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 5:30:16 AM
(0)
Professor

I've been very impressed with Skobbler turn by turn, voice guided navigation. Totally free of any costs and it works. Great.

I've been very impressed with Skobbler turn by turn, voice guided navigation. Totally free of any costs and it works. Great.

6 of 11 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 6:00:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
Looks good, but seems like a lot of work on the user's side. Smiley Wink
Looks good, but seems like a lot of work on the user's side. Smiley Wink

7 of 11 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 7:15:01 PM
(0)
Mentor
Mapquest app is free also and has voice turn by turn gps
Mapquest app is free also and has voice turn by turn gps

8 of 11 (660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 4:59:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Planet-Ed wrote:

I used TomTom for years on WinMo... CoPilot is far better than the free nav apps, and comes with phone-resident maps for the entire US. An $8 product is probably not going to be competative with a $50+ one. So, it's not a bad tradeoff in my opinion.

Planet-Ed wrote:

I used TomTom for years on WinMo... CoPilot is far better than the free nav apps, and comes with phone-resident maps for the entire US. An $8 product is probably not going to be competative with a $50+ one. So, it's not a bad tradeoff in my opinion.

9 of 11 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 5:28:04 AM
(0)
Professor

Motion-X user here as well. quite slick. easy to use. like any gps, not perfect, but it's nice to have the goods in a single device.

Motion-X user here as well. quite slick. easy to use. like any gps, not perfect, but it's nice to have the goods in a single device.

10 of 11 (567 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 8:16:36 PM
(0)
Professor
Give Waze a try. My favorite turn by turn nav app and totally free
Give Waze a try. My favorite turn by turn nav app and totally free