iphone4 sim problem

Contributor

iphone4 sim problem

I activated my Iphone4 and it said no sim found. I took the sim out put it back in and the phone worked. Five minutes later said no sim. Took it to the AT&T store and had a new sim put in. The phone worked for a few minutes then went back to no sim. Spent a few hours on home phone with apple. Tried reset but still happening. No answers from apple. Has anyone else had this happen?

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 37
Tutor

Re: iphone4 sim problem

I went to the Apple Store even though mine was mailed from AT&T.  An AT&T regional rep was at the store and took out my sim card.  He said they have a newer one.  The next one didn't work at all, but the third one did - for about an hour then went to the no sim alert.  I went back and the Apple Store manager and the AT&T rep kindly allowed me to swap out my phone for another one even though mine was bought through AT&T.  It has been over three hours and no problems at all - something that never happened with my original iPhone 4.  Gizmodo posted an article about this sim problem.  My advice:  swap out the hardware.

I'll report back if I go back into no sim mode again.

Message 16 of 37
Teacher

Same problem with both units received yesterday. I reset power, took the sim out, put it back in while powered down, turned it on and same problem. This went on for about 10 minutes. I then decided to keep it on, remove the sim, and put it back in and it registered. Did this with both units... no prob since.

Message 17 of 37
Scholar

Mine did it twice this afternoon about 4PM EST. At first I thought it had something to do with MobileMe since I had just installed it, coincidence I guess.
I'll just keep an eye on it and see what you all find out. Overall I like this phone a lot.
Message 18 of 37
Voyager

I will tell you right now... just go to the Apple store. Set up an appointment and go. I had the same problem. The "No Sim Card Inserted" problem happened to me 5 times on Thursday and 4 times yesterday... and thankfully once while at the Apple Store. The guy took my phone in the back and ran a diagnostic on it. He said the modem on the phone rebooted 19 times while trying to run the diag. He replaced my phone right then and there. So far no more issues.

Along with the no sim issue I was having texting issues, internet issues, and battery drain problems. The phone was defective all around.

Message 19 of 37
Contributor

Re: iphone4 sim problem: A Viacrucis awaits you

If you get the sim card not installed message in your brand new iPhone 4... you are in for a trip.  It happened to me and I am a survivor.

Based on my tormented experience, this is what WILL happen to you:

1. First you'll call ATT and they will be wide eyed and totally clueless about the SIM issue: useless
  2. Then you will call Apple Support and they will ask you to GO to ATT to get a new SIM card
  3. You spend two hours at  ATT and you fight your way to get them to replace the SIM card without charging you for it!
  4. A day or so later you will notice that the problem persists... so you will call Apple again and they will have you RESTORE your iPhone
  5. ome 20 hours later... the problem will come back again and you'll have to call Apple once more.  Because you have called THREE times already, the first level support guy will patch you to a senior rep who will FINALLY agree that the equipment has to be replaced and they will direct you to the nearest Apple Store or iPhone Service Center
  6. Then you go to the store/ATT Service Center, repeat your sad store to the rep, they will try to get by replacing just the SIM card, forcing you to display your best GRIZZLY face and demand equipment replacement.  Should they be willing to do it, they will get you a refurbished unit and send you on your merry way
  7. Problem solved???????? We'll see about that!!!

There you have it.  That's my sad, sad story and prediction of what you will have to go through to solve your "SIM card not installed" issue.  I just got the new (refurbished!) iPhone 4 today, so until it survives the dreaded 24-48 testing period I will not feel confident that the problem is actually fixed.  I'll write again should the problem manifests itself in the replacement unit.

This problem took at least 6 hours of my life to solve and plenty of aggravation.  I only wish Apple and ATT were willing to bite the bullet admitting that they had a bad batch of iPhone 4s or something and just cut to the chase and replace the unit instead of having you running around like this!!!

Message 20 of 37
Scholar

Re: iphone4 sim problem: A Viacrucis awaits you

My story was a little different. Got mine on launch day, the problem started immediately. Went to a AT & T the next day and they were not aware of the issue. The guys reset my phone, it worked and he said if it persisted it would be an Apple issue. Of course it did persist.  I made an appointment for Apple and went there a couple of days later.  By that time the issue was already known. They worked on it some and then gave me a new phone. I wouldn't bother going to AT & T because I don't think it's a SIM card issue, but a hardware or software one.  When I got the message, I would turn on and the off airplane mode and it would work again.  If it was the SIM card, why would it do that?

Message 21 of 37
Contributor

This same problem happened with me.  I read this forum and called Apple.  Apple really wasn't the appropriate place to call, however they did get AT&T on the phone with us.  AT&T sent a new signal to the SIM card on my iPhone4 and that resolved the problem.

Message 22 of 37
Scholar

I got mine in the first wave also. The S
first SIM errors occurred two days after I got it, then again about a week later.
I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and they replaced it after running the diagnostics. I'm very satisfied with Apple service.
Message 23 of 37
Contributor

Got an iPhone 4 32GB last night - july 14th. I had the problem once last night, 7 or 8 times today. Before reading this forum i have fixed it by powering down. I think it caused to calls to drop, but those could have been the death grip. This is not what I paid $300 for. :-(

Message 24 of 37
Contributor

You will have to do the whole song and dance but once you get a replacement unit you should be fine. Mine has not failed since.
Message 25 of 37
Contributor

After receiving this sim card error for the first time, I called AT&T to see if they could send a signal to sim card. I found out that the IMEI number did not match my Iphone's. In the process of upgrading another line on my account to an Iphone, an associate accidently updated my IMEI number....

-___- oh well, it works now.

Message 26 of 37
Contributor

I purchased my Iphone4 on July 12 2011, and it is keeps on dropping off with an error of "No SIM Card Installed".  I am so upset, I don't have time for this at all. 

Message 27 of 37
Contributor

ATT & Apple should have let customers know that there was a reliabiliy problem.  Who the heck has time for this?  I cerainly don't and am going to get rid of this phone as soon as possible.

Also the airplane mode only fixed it for 5 minutes until it returned.  What a piece of garbage with no fix in sight.  I used to like Apple, now they are no better than Yugo.

Message 28 of 37

I had the "no sim installed" error, too. Get a paper clip, pop out the sim card, take it completely out and then re-install it. I've never had a problem since.

Message 29 of 37
ACE - Professor

lovenrockets wrote:

I purchased my Iphone4 on July 12 2011, and it is keeps on dropping off with an error of "No SIM Card Installed".  I am so upset, I don't have time for this at all. 

Welcome to the boards new visitor. Instead of selecting a topic that is a year old, just make a new topic.

You can easily get this issue fixed - first just try reseating the sim card

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802 - scroll down to "SIM "

If that doesn't help, AT&T will give you a new sim card. If THAT doesn't work, Apple will give you a new iPhone.

If its been less than 30 days, AT&T will take back your iPhone4, and you can choose a different phone completely.

Hope that helps!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 30 of 37
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support