iphone4 sim problem

Contributor

iphone4 sim problem

I activated my Iphone4 and it said no sim found. I took the sim out put it back in and the phone worked. Five minutes later said no sim. Took it to the AT&T store and had a new sim put in. The phone worked for a few minutes then went back to no sim. Spent a few hours on home phone with apple. Tried reset but still happening. No answers from apple. Has anyone else had this happen?

Message 1 of 37 (9,831 Views)
Master

Re: iphone4 sim problem

If its happening with multiple SIM cards then its probably the device itself that is defective and will have to be replaced.  sounds like the contacts inside the phone are not making a good connection.

Hopefully you have an Apple store nearby.  There are always a small percentage of failure with any device but that doesn't make it easier for those affected.

Message 2 of 37 (9,798 Views)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.   New iPhone 4.  Activated fine.  Periodically pops up with NO SIM CARD INSTALLED.   Reboot, reseat, replaced SIM card with new one.., etc. etc.  Problem still happening.   AT&T and APPLE both tell me it's because the systems are overloaded, but I find that hard to believe because my room mate has a 3GS and has not had the problem.  Why would just the iPhone 4's be experiencing the problem??

Message 3 of 37 (9,689 Views)
Contributor

Im starting to get upset as well.  I was on the phone with apple for like an hour today trying to figure out the same exact problem.  I can talk for a while then my phone will hang up, and a message pops up reading "no sim card installed".  I have no idea what is going on, and apparently apple doesnt either.  They said this was the first time they have heard of this going on with the iphone 4. Especially since it was released today.  Does anyone have ANY suggestions to what is going on.  Ive been troubleshooting all day and I keep experiencing the same prob.  Im stressed out. THis is a brand new phone.

Message 4 of 37 (9,599 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

yep same problem.

no sim installed.

i turn off, wait a few minutes.... hold on a sec...

hmm... no sim card installed.... hmmm....

oh i did have it working fine... then... this evening... at 7pm pacific time..

Message 5 of 37 (9,545 Views)
Tutor

REMEDY...

so hold down home key and power button, hold until it restarts.

do it a few times, until it reconnects.

based on other forums, it may not be the sim card. perhaps its the network or software OS or hardware. but killing yourself to get new sim card may not be the issue as of yet.

post here, & other places, make a big stink so they'll look into and figure out official solve.

Message 6 of 37 (9,488 Views)
Scholar

I have the same issues.  When I acticvated it I waited 10 minutes and nothing happened. Popped out the SIM, put it back in and it activated. Twice in the first hour I was using it I got the same No SIM message.  I popped it back out and then back in and service came back on. I used it heavily yesterday afternoon with no issues and then all the sudden last night got the same message.  Popped it back out and in and it worked fine. Used it this morning then got the same message, popped it out and in and it's fine again.  I know on the 3G there was something going around the net that you could put a piece of tape on it and increased the service bars. I did it with my 3G and it did help a little. I assume maybe the SIM wasn't making good contact.  I just put a little piece of scotch tape on my micro sim just now so I will see how it does. Now I have to carry a paper clip in my wallet in case it happens again. Sucks because it's annoying but it's an easy fix for my just popping it out and in. 

Message 7 of 37 (9,408 Views)
Contributor

Let me know how the the tape fix works

Message 8 of 37 (9,385 Views)
Tutor

Same problem here.  Turning airplane mode off and then on again does the same as popping the sim card back and is easier.  Obviously a problem that has not been admitted to yet though turning up on all forums.  The first report of this happening in the UK has been blogged too. 

Message 9 of 37 (9,382 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

scott18888 wrote:

Let me know how the the tape fix works

Didn't help.  Had to pop it out twice more.  I checked on the Apple forums and lots of people are having similar issues.  Some went to AT & T or Apple and got new SIMs but still had the problem.  Some got new phones. 

Singha, thanks for the tip.  I will try that instead of messing with the SIM.  That would be easier. 

Message 10 of 37 (9,360 Views)
Tutor

I saw a post on Mac Forum that said a person took his back to his Apple Store with the "no sim" problem.  The employee rebooted his system 3 times  (hold down home key and top on/wake key, but when asked to slide for off keep everything held down until you see the Apple) and it fixed his problem.  I tried it and it did allow me to go longer before the 'no sim" would appear, but was no permanent fix.  Very frustrating.

Message 11 of 37 (4,539 Views)
Tutor

well rebooting it this morning, several times hasn't helped. airplane mode off/on didn't work either.

i took sim card out, looked at it hopefully, put it back in... & it worked for now.. man, sure need a tiny tiny needle to pop it. i had to find a tiny push pin.

Message 12 of 37 (4,509 Views)
Tutor

I'm have an appointment at the Apple Store in a couple of hours.  I hope they don't tell me to go to AT&T and get a new sim as just about anyone who has done that still has the no sim problem.  I just wish either Apple or AT&T would at least acknowledge that there are a large number of new owners with this problem.

Message 13 of 37 (4,502 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

interesting, just talked to friend who has iphone3. said last couple of weeks same thing with his sim card. he did drop it. & wondered if it was that. (never had problem before)

he said he just reset network and it worked. had to do it just twice.  reset network doesnt change anything except if you messed with network/connection settings. i did connect to wifi at home but know password to redo that so i'll try that next time.

Message 14 of 37 (4,494 Views)
Scholar

Mine did it a few more times today.  Turning airplane mode off and on and did work.  I stopped by AT & T and he said Apple would have to trouble shoot it. He said all they can do is reset it or reboot it. So while I was there he did a soft reset on it.  It's given me the no SIM issues twice since then. If it continues I will do a restore and see if that helps. I don't think it's the SIM itself, but a software or hardware issue. 

Message 15 of 37 (4,408 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.