iphone usage: was 50mb for a month, now 300mb for 6 days

Highlighted
Scholar

iphone usage: was 50mb for a month, now 300mb for 6 days

[ Edited ]

On the phone with AT&T now trying to figure out why his phone would use 289MB (yes MB) of data at night while on wifi. (yes, I know there are delays, but still). I just got an overage alert on his phone and checked the bill and was stunned.

He's on wifi from 8am to 5pm, and 7pm to 8am. He's off wifi for about 2 hrs a day.
And yes, the usual suspects (diagnostic data etc. are off).
And, no, he typically uses between 50 and 75mb a month, so it's not normal even with reporting delays. And having it appear as ONE transfer is not normal.

ATT is saying it's perfectly normal.

Message 1 of 10 (956 Views)
Master

Re: iphone usage: was 50mb for a month, now 300mb for 6 days

Have you added a new app lately?  Have you search these forums for previous threads and explanations as to what is going on and when you are and are not using wifi even though you think you are?

Do you have some music streaming in the background?  Check your radio type apps.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 10 (933 Views)
ACE - Professor

"on Wifi overnight" only works if he's on AC overnight too... during the day as well. After 15 minutes on standby and battery, no more wifi.

iCloud, perhaps?

Large email attachment?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (927 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

"on Wifi overnight" only works if he's on AC overnight too... during the day as well. After 15 minutes on standby and battery, no more wifi.

iCloud, perhaps?

Large email attachment?

No icloud, plugged in. No huge attachments as far as we can tell.

I looked at his usage on device (which I reset monthly) and it is mostly download so it's not the usual "phantom" data.

We did remember that he watched some youtube videos the othernight. But he was on wifi, and I was on it as well. If it "lost" wifi for a moment, that couldn't account for hundreds of MB.

No apps, really, except chase bank.

He's really a minimalist.

Has anyone heard of any wifi/youtube bugs? I'm getting the feeling the issue has to do with that, but he KNOWS he was on wifi, as he always double checks it before using youtube.

ps: thanks for all the suggestions!

Message 4 of 10 (907 Views)
ACE - Professor

the gryphon wrote:

johninsj wrote:

iCloud, perhaps?

Large email attachment?

I looked at his usage on device (which I reset monthly) and it is mostly download so it's not the usual "phantom" data.

We did remember that he watched some youtube videos the othernight. But he was on wifi, and I was on it as well. If it "lost" wifi for a moment, that couldn't account for hundreds of MB.

Has anyone heard of any wifi/youtube bugs? I'm getting the feeling the issue has to do with that, but he KNOWS he was on wifi, as he always double checks it before using youtube.

lots of voicemails? visual voicemail always uses cellular data. That would have to be a snortload of voicemail, however.

You can turn off cellular data and just use wifi for data if you want - that's the best way to stop unintended use.

Somehow he was off wifi for a bit. Any chance your home internet dropped? The iPhone will happily fall back to cellular data if wifi drops for any reason (unless you disable cellular data in settings.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (894 Views)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

the gryphon wrote:

johninsj wrote:

iCloud, perhaps?

Large email attachment?

lots of voicemails? visual voicemail always uses cellular data. That would have to be a snortload of voicemail, however.

You can turn off cellular data and just use wifi for data if you want - that's the best way to stop unintended use.

Somehow he was off wifi for a bit. Any chance your home internet dropped? The iPhone will happily fall back to cellular data if wifi drops for any reason (unless you disable cellular data in settings.)

No chance it was voicemails. These show up as 100MB and 89mb CHUNKS on the bill. Not the usual KBs that show up.

I was also on the internet and mine never dropped.

I'm figuring it DID revert, somehow. Which is disconcerting.

Yes, I know we can disable cellular, but gosh, we're PAYING for it, I'm sure he'd like to have it available. Again, He's been using the iphone for months now, and never got over 85mb in a month. This is something new, whatever happened. And ATT has been no help whatsoever.

Message 6 of 10 (870 Views)
ACE - Professor

the gryphon wrote:

And ATT has been no help whatsoever.

AT&T has no way of knowing which app your son ran that consumed data, it can only measure the bytes sent in a session. If you want to ask someone to "fix" this, ask Apple.

Message 7 of 10 (849 Views)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

the gryphon wrote:

And ATT has been no help whatsoever.

AT&T has no way of knowing which app your son ran that consumed data, it can only measure the bytes sent in a session. If you want to ask someone to "fix" this, ask Apple.

I've posted this on their discussion board as well. AT&T didn't suggest this. He just read me a policy.

Message 8 of 10 (833 Views)
Contributor

Hi

I had the same problem also with my Atrix 4 g android phone. I also do not use the phone heavily,Well  I find it interesting that all of us that have had this problem the massive data usage happened in middle of night, so those of you that say its not in real time whatever, Im a skeptic,

I solved my problem by turining phone off at night and bingo no overages> I purposely use my phone for facebook uploading simple games ect and I'm not  going over. Oh and by the way the 2 months i had the problem, no I didnt upload any new apps, I even told my friends to not text me, I didnt listen to voicemail ect, so  my personal opinion its either a glitch in system or a way of getting newbies to increase the data plan,

Message 9 of 10 (640 Views)
ACE - Professor

the gryphon wrote:

johninsj wrote:

the gryphon wrote:

johninsj wrote:

iCloud, perhaps?

Large email attachment?

No chance it was voicemails. These show up as 100MB and 89mb CHUNKS on the bill. Not the usual KBs that show up.

I was also on the internet and mine never dropped.

I'm figuring it DID revert, somehow. Which is disconcerting.

Yes, I know we can disable cellular, but gosh, we're PAYING for it, I'm sure he'd like to have it available. Again, He's been using the iphone for months now, and never got over 85mb in a month. This is something new, whatever happened. And ATT has been no help whatsoever.

AT&T would not have any way of knowing what app you are using that is consuming data - they just bill for usage.

Kinda like expecting your water company to know how you're using water in your house.

We've cover many many times how the accounting system quirks work - with delayed data reporting, aggregation of smaller data transfers into "CHUNKs" on bills, and how all data reports as sent regardless of if it was sent or received.

Apple makes the OS - if you have issues with how the OS uses data, you should be talking with Apple.

Message 10 of 10 (616 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.