Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 4, 2011
10:40:02 PM
View profile
iphone upgrade

Hi!  I am trying to decide if I should upgrade from the iphone GS to the iphone 4.  My main concern is my data plan.  Currently I have unlimited data for $30/mo.  If I upgrade, will I be forced into a metered data plan?

Hi!  I am trying to decide if I should upgrade from the iphone GS to the iphone 4.  My main concern is my data plan.  Currently I have unlimited data for $30/mo.  If I upgrade, will I be forced into a metered data plan?

iphone upgrade

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 4:50:18 AM
(0)
Professor
If you currently have the unlimited iPhone data plan, you are grandfathered in and can keep it if you upgrade to a new iPhone.
If you currently have the unlimited iPhone data plan, you are grandfathered in and can keep it if you upgrade to a new iPhone.

Re: iphone upgrade

4 of 11 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 5:39:17 AM
(0)
Professor

you are grandfathered in and can keep it if you upgrade to a new iPhone. its true!! my wife upgraded to the white Iphone 4 from the 3GS and she got to keep her unlimited data.the girl doing the upgrade had to call it in to the CS center so they can ad to the new iphone4.

you are grandfathered in and can keep it if you upgrade to a new iPhone. its true!! my wife upgraded to the white Iphone 4 from the 3GS and she got to keep her unlimited data.the girl doing the upgrade had to call it in to the CS center so they can ad to the new iphone4.

hello!!!

5 of 11 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 3:21:58 AM
(0)
Guru
I would tell att you want to upgrade but only if you can keep the unlimited data. I have seen people upgrade and keep it but only when they talked to att first.

If you just upgrade most likely the unlimited will be gone.
I would tell att you want to upgrade but only if you can keep the unlimited data. I have seen people upgrade and keep it but only when they talked to att first.

If you just upgrade most likely the unlimited will be gone.

Re: upgrading to iphone 4

2 of 11 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 3:58:46 AM
(0)
Master
You are supposed to be able to keep, but I would suggest watching it like a hawk. If you are doing it in a store, make sure the reps understand that you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan and you won't be upgrade without making sure you keep the unlimited data plan.

I wonder if it is easier to keep those grandfathered options if you upgrade through the ATT website?
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
You are supposed to be able to keep, but I would suggest watching it like a hawk. If you are doing it in a store, make sure the reps understand that you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan and you won't be upgrade without making sure you keep the unlimited data plan.

I wonder if it is easier to keep those grandfathered options if you upgrade through the ATT website?
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 11 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 5:06:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
As others have stated, yes, you can keep your Unlimited Data plan. Be sure to keep a very close eye on it though, just to make sure everything is transferred over correctly when upgrading. It's better to be over-cautious than to risk losing the plan altogether and not having a chance at getting it back.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

As others have stated, yes, you can keep your Unlimited Data plan. Be sure to keep a very close eye on it though, just to make sure everything is transferred over correctly when upgrading. It's better to be over-cautious than to risk losing the plan altogether and not having a chance at getting it back.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 11 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 3:30:36 AM
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

In short - read every piece of papers and terminal screen that is presented to you in detail before clicking or signing the agreement

Wild Banchi wrote:

In short - read every piece of papers and terminal screen that is presented to you in detail before clicking or signing the agreement

7 of 11 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 8:37:20 AM
(0)
Employee

You can absolutely keep your unlimited data plan. If you already have the unlimited smart phone data plan and upgrade to any other smartphone ( iphone, blackberry, andriod) you will have the option to keep the unlimited data plan. Smiley Happy

You can absolutely keep your unlimited data plan. If you already have the unlimited smart phone data plan and upgrade to any other smartphone ( iphone, blackberry, andriod) you will have the option to keep the unlimited data plan. Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 11 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 6:08:30 PM
(0)
Master
When I recently switched to an Android device I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. I got the iPhone unlimited plan again once I switched back to my iPhone 4 again, so as others have said, you can keep your unlimited plan when switching phones... If you are planning on getting the iPhone 4 and don't need it right away, I would wait till Oct. because that is when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be coming out, which should drop the price of the iPhone 4 by $100. when it does.
When I recently switched to an Android device I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. I got the iPhone unlimited plan again once I switched back to my iPhone 4 again, so as others have said, you can keep your unlimited plan when switching phones... If you are planning on getting the iPhone 4 and don't need it right away, I would wait till Oct. because that is when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be coming out, which should drop the price of the iPhone 4 by $100. when it does.

9 of 11 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 12:25:50 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by marielmikki on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:26:35 AM

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life.

iPhone

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life.

iPhone

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (431 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 1:56:33 AM
(0)
Professor

marielmikki wrote:

iPhone

This just seems like a commercial for the Personal Hotspot, but in the context of this thread, enabling the Hotspot feature will cause you to lose your unlimited data plan.

marielmikki wrote:

iPhone

This just seems like a commercial for the Personal Hotspot, but in the context of this thread, enabling the Hotspot feature will cause you to lose your unlimited data plan.

11 of 11 (293 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments