Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 13, 2009
9:10:22 PM
View profile
iphone says "no service"
My iphone says that i have no service in places that I ALWAYS have full bars in. (work, home, etc). I have tried restarting it, as well as restoring it. I have also reset the network a couple of times and took out my sim card and placed it back in. My boyfriend, who lives here as well, has an iphone and has normal service right now. ANy ideas??
My iphone says that i have no service in places that I ALWAYS have full bars in. (work, home, etc). I have tried restarting it, as well as restoring it. I have also reset the network a couple of times and took out my sim card and placed it back in. My boyfriend, who lives here as well, has an iphone and has normal service right now. ANy ideas??

iphone says "no service"

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2009 11:15:15 PM
(0)
Master

It could be the phone or the SIM card.  Swap the SIM cards between his iPhone and yours.

If his phone works with your SIM card and your phone still shows no service with his SIM card in your phone then I'd say your phone is bad (since you already did a restore) and needs to be serviced by Apple.

If your phone works with his SIM card and his phone does not work with your SIM card then the problem points to your SIM card being bad and needs to be replaced by AT&T.

It could be the phone or the SIM card.  Swap the SIM cards between his iPhone and yours.

If his phone works with your SIM card and your phone still shows no service with his SIM card in your phone then I'd say your phone is bad (since you already did a restore) and needs to be serviced by Apple.

If your phone works with his SIM card and his phone does not work with your SIM card then the problem points to your SIM card being bad and needs to be replaced by AT&T.

Re: iphone says "no service"

2 of 10 (20,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 6:51:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

Planet-Ed wrote:

If his SIM does work in your phone, be careful on the data usage.  His SIM won't have the iPhone data plan so you could end up with a large data bill if the SIM is used for any length of time.  Please let us know how it goes.

Planet-Ed wrote:

If his SIM does work in your phone, be careful on the data usage.  His SIM won't have the iPhone data plan so you could end up with a large data bill if the SIM is used for any length of time.  Please let us know how it goes.

3 of 10 (20,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 7:28:27 AM
(0)
Master

bkmjk wrote:

That will not be an issue since she said her boyfriend has an iPhone, so he already has the correct plan.

e1buckle wrote:
My boyfriend, who lives here as well, has an iphone and has normal service right now.

bkmjk wrote:

That will not be an issue since she said her boyfriend has an iPhone, so he already has the correct plan.

e1buckle wrote:
My boyfriend, who lives here as well, has an iphone and has normal service right now.

4 of 10 (20,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 7:53:30 AM
(0)
Master

If aftetr swapping SIMS and the issue appears to be the iPhone, try the followng:

Try each step and do not proceed to the next step unless the problem shows itself again.

1. Reboot the iPhone - hold the on/off switch and home key for 8 to 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
2. Restore the iPhone within itunes and restore your backup - Maybe something is bad in the OS.
3. Restore the iPhone but this time do not restore your backup - Maybe your backup has a setting that is causing the problem. You will need to reset your preferences.
4. Make an appointment at your local Apple store and have them look at your iPhone. www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If aftetr swapping SIMS and the issue appears to be the iPhone, try the followng:

Try each step and do not proceed to the next step unless the problem shows itself again.

1. Reboot the iPhone - hold the on/off switch and home key for 8 to 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
2. Restore the iPhone within itunes and restore your backup - Maybe something is bad in the OS.
3. Restore the iPhone but this time do not restore your backup - Maybe your backup has a setting that is causing the problem. You will need to reset your preferences.
4. Make an appointment at your local Apple store and have them look at your iPhone. www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 10 (20,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 9:27:01 AM
(0)
Explorer
My iPhone 3G was doing the same thing yesterday afternoon.  Now it is OK.  I think it might have been AT&T's network.
My iPhone 3G was doing the same thing yesterday afternoon.  Now it is OK.  I think it might have been AT&T's network.

6 of 10 (20,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 12:46:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Planet-Ed wrote:

bkmjk wrote:

e1buckle wrote:

...missed it by that much, chief!  That will teach me to read these before the first cup of coffee in the morning!  Smiley Happy

Planet-Ed wrote:

bkmjk wrote:

e1buckle wrote:

...missed it by that much, chief!  That will teach me to read these before the first cup of coffee in the morning!  Smiley Happy

7 of 10 (20,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 1:28:38 PM
(0)
Master

bkmjk wrote:

I do the same thing at times during late night posting when I should have called it a night hours before.

bkmjk wrote:

I do the same thing at times during late night posting when I should have called it a night hours before.

8 of 10 (20,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2009 3:56:47 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on May 14, 2009 at 3:58:57 PM

Adding another option to the checklist earlier: (whispers) It's the network. CNN has one about AT&T and Verizon having 3G issues.

PS: I had the same problem a few days ago. "No Service" but I was outside on break trying to do my 5 minute online games. Reboots and Restore Networks no go. I go home and it's back up which is odd.

But going on the interstate the problem piles up again.

Message Edited by josephz2va on 05-14-2009 06:58:57 PM

Adding another option to the checklist earlier: (whispers) It's the network. CNN has one about AT&T and Verizon having 3G issues.

PS: I had the same problem a few days ago. "No Service" but I was outside on break trying to do my 5 minute online games. Reboots and Restore Networks no go. I go home and it's back up which is odd.

But going on the interstate the problem piles up again.

Message Edited by josephz2va on 05-14-2009 06:58:57 PM

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (20,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:07:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

So i tried everything and nothing worked. I was sure i was going to have to take it to at&t or the apple store (which is an hour away). I went to bed and when i woke up in the morning, it was fine again. No idea. so we'll see if it happens again but for the past couple days, like i said, it's been normal again.

thanks so much for all the help and suggestions!

So i tried everything and nothing worked. I was sure i was going to have to take it to at&t or the apple store (which is an hour away). I went to bed and when i woke up in the morning, it was fine again. No idea. so we'll see if it happens again but for the past couple days, like i said, it's been normal again.

thanks so much for all the help and suggestions!

10 of 10 (20,364 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments