Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 11, 2009
12:47:14 PM
View profile
iphone not receiving calls

My iphone is all of a sudden not receiving calls. Calls go straight to voice mail. I dont have a missed call and I don't receive any voicemails. All my family is angry thinking I am ignoring them. I have already called AT&T twice. We tried a new sim card. Now they tell me to take out the sim card and put it back in. this will work for one or two calls and it goes right back to not receiving calls. This is the original Iphone. I have had it for two years no problems. I was going to upgrade to the new apple 3.0 iphone in august but now I"m not so sure. I love the iphone but if it is not going to work and I have to switch phones I may just switch carriers as well. I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years. I started with them when they were with cingular.

Anyone else have this problem? anyone know a fix for it? I appreciate any and all help. A phone is useless if you cant recieve calls.

My iphone is all of a sudden not receiving calls. Calls go straight to voice mail. I dont have a missed call and I don't receive any voicemails. All my family is angry thinking I am ignoring them. I have already called AT&T twice. We tried a new sim card. Now they tell me to take out the sim card and put it back in. this will work for one or two calls and it goes right back to not receiving calls. This is the original Iphone. I have had it for two years no problems. I was going to upgrade to the new apple 3.0 iphone in august but now I"m not so sure. I love the iphone but if it is not going to work and I have to switch phones I may just switch carriers as well. I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years. I started with them when they were with cingular.

Anyone else have this problem? anyone know a fix for it? I appreciate any and all help. A phone is useless if you cant recieve calls.

iphone not receiving calls

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 1:43:30 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by shamefulidentity on Jul 11, 2009 at 1:44:13 PM

No need to change your service provider, thats going WAY overboard.

Call apple and get an exchange.

Message Edited by shamefulidentity on 07-11-2009 01:44:13 PM

No need to change your service provider, thats going WAY overboard.

Call apple and get an exchange.

Message Edited by shamefulidentity on 07-11-2009 01:44:13 PM

Re: iphone not receiving calls

[ Edited ]
2 of 14 (3,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 1:49:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

this is the original Iphone from two years ago. A exchange is not available. I wanted to upgrade to the new iphone next month and give this one to my daughter. I have searched this issue and seen tons of people with the new iphone having this problem. no fixes can I find. So if I can't use my iphone which I loved until three weeks ago, and the new iphone has the same issues, that is why I was thinking of changing my service.

Everything about my phone is working fine except incoming calls. And that is kind of important. If anyone has the issue and has any suggestions for fixing it I would really appreciate. AT&T is no help and there is no Apple store in my area. I live in Biloxi MS and I would have to go to another state to visit a apple store.

this is the original Iphone from two years ago. A exchange is not available. I wanted to upgrade to the new iphone next month and give this one to my daughter. I have searched this issue and seen tons of people with the new iphone having this problem. no fixes can I find. So if I can't use my iphone which I loved until three weeks ago, and the new iphone has the same issues, that is why I was thinking of changing my service.

Everything about my phone is working fine except incoming calls. And that is kind of important. If anyone has the issue and has any suggestions for fixing it I would really appreciate. AT&T is no help and there is no Apple store in my area. I live in Biloxi MS and I would have to go to another state to visit a apple store.

3 of 14 (3,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 6:24:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
When your calls go directly to voice mail, does it play your own outgoing message, or is it one of those computer messages, "The AT&T customer you are calling is not available." I had the same problem about a week ago. The phone didn't ring and calls went straight to voice mail (did not play my message). There were no missed calls on my call log.

I called AT&T, but the service rep was so unfamiliar with the iPhone that her suggestions were beyond useless. I wouldn't recommend calling AT&T for tech support.

Assuming the service in your area has been properly restored, this is what I did and everything is fine now:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Tap the red bar to Reset Network Settings.

When your calls go directly to voice mail, does it play your own outgoing message, or is it one of those computer messages, "The AT&T customer you are calling is not available." I had the same problem about a week ago. The phone didn't ring and calls went straight to voice mail (did not play my message). There were no missed calls on my call log.

I called AT&T, but the service rep was so unfamiliar with the iPhone that her suggestions were beyond useless. I wouldn't recommend calling AT&T for tech support.

Assuming the service in your area has been properly restored, this is what I did and everything is fine now:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Tap the red bar to Reset Network Settings.

4 of 14 (3,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 6:39:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

It goes straight to voicemail and plays my personal recorded message. I have spoke to apple support and three times to AT&T support. All they can suggest is for me to get a new phone. My phone is not under warranty and I'm not eligible for a upgrade. Everything is working fine on my phone except the incoming calls. It was fine one minute the next not working. I did not drop it or damage it in any way. Sometimes calls will come through after trying anywhere from 4-10 times in a row. I have been a at&t customer since 2000, They are not even nice when you call. I paid 400.00 for this phone from apple less than two years ago. I would expect it to at least last a few years with the exception of me dropping it or something like that. I put my sim card in my husband's phone ( not iphone) and it rings fine. I can't try his sim card in my iphone because when you put it in it wants you to activate his number for a iphone. It is a new sim card I got last week and didnt fix the problem.

I'm just really feeling frustrated right now. A phone is useless if you cant get calls.

It goes straight to voicemail and plays my personal recorded message. I have spoke to apple support and three times to AT&T support. All they can suggest is for me to get a new phone. My phone is not under warranty and I'm not eligible for a upgrade. Everything is working fine on my phone except the incoming calls. It was fine one minute the next not working. I did not drop it or damage it in any way. Sometimes calls will come through after trying anywhere from 4-10 times in a row. I have been a at&t customer since 2000, They are not even nice when you call. I paid 400.00 for this phone from apple less than two years ago. I would expect it to at least last a few years with the exception of me dropping it or something like that. I put my sim card in my husband's phone ( not iphone) and it rings fine. I can't try his sim card in my iphone because when you put it in it wants you to activate his number for a iphone. It is a new sim card I got last week and didnt fix the problem.

I'm just really feeling frustrated right now. A phone is useless if you cant get calls.

5 of 14 (3,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 6:40:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
I forgot. I have done the restore network settings several times and it still doesnt work.
I forgot. I have done the restore network settings several times and it still doesnt work.

6 of 14 (3,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:02:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Myrtlemaye on Jul 11, 2009 at 7:06:59 PM
If it is working occasionally, then I guess the ringer isn't turned off or the volume turned down. :robotwink:

P.S. Why aren't you eligible for an upgrade?
Message Edited by Myrtlemaye on 07-11-2009 10:06:59 PM
If it is working occasionally, then I guess the ringer isn't turned off or the volume turned down. :robotwink:

P.S. Why aren't you eligible for an upgrade?
Message Edited by Myrtlemaye on 07-11-2009 10:06:59 PM

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (3,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:13:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not eligible for a upgrade because my youngest daughter lost her phone and wasnt eligible for a upgrade. It was more trouble to me not being able to get in touch with her than it was for her. You know you go to pick her up and you sit for 30 minutes cause you can't call inside the mall to remind her she is supposed to be out by now? So I had the stupid stupid stupid idea that I would use my upgrade cause I didnt want anything but a iphone and was so happy with mine. Yeah real stupid.

I'm not eligible for a upgrade because my youngest daughter lost her phone and wasnt eligible for a upgrade. It was more trouble to me not being able to get in touch with her than it was for her. You know you go to pick her up and you sit for 30 minutes cause you can't call inside the mall to remind her she is supposed to be out by now? So I had the stupid stupid stupid idea that I would use my upgrade cause I didnt want anything but a iphone and was so happy with mine. Yeah real stupid.

8 of 14 (3,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:17:26 PM
(0)
Scholar
Have to tried to upgrade your firmware to the most recent release? Also have you tried to restore you iPhone to the factory settings?? I suggest trying both these options if you have not done so already.
Have to tried to upgrade your firmware to the most recent release? Also have you tried to restore you iPhone to the factory settings?? I suggest trying both these options if you have not done so already.

9 of 14 (3,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:21:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Done both of the above
Done both of the above

10 of 14 (3,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:23:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

Are you able to make OUTgoing calls??

Are you able to make OUTgoing calls??

11 of 14 (2,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:28:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
yes outgoing calls no problem. internet no problems. Listen to my music no problem.
yes outgoing calls no problem. internet no problems. Listen to my music no problem.

12 of 14 (2,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 7:35:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

There are a couple other things I can think of that could cause this:

1.) Have you checked to see if your Calls are possibly being forwarded to another number by mistake? You can check by going into Settings>Phone> Call Forwarding (This too could explain why you do not receive the VMs either.)

2.) Also if you know Voicemail are being left have to tried to call your number to check your message using a different phone like a landline.

There are a couple other things I can think of that could cause this:

1.) Have you checked to see if your Calls are possibly being forwarded to another number by mistake? You can check by going into Settings>Phone> Call Forwarding (This too could explain why you do not receive the VMs either.)

2.) Also if you know Voicemail are being left have to tried to call your number to check your message using a different phone like a landline.

13 of 14 (2,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2009 7:08:42 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you for your advice, I just bought my iphone last week! Today I discovered that my text messages were not being received and then realized I could not send or receive calls. I did as you suggested and and it seems to be working now; also as soon as I reset everything I received a low battery message which was surprising since the icon showed I had at least 50% battery. I hope I won't have anymore issues.
Thank you for your advice, I just bought my iphone last week! Today I discovered that my text messages were not being received and then realized I could not send or receive calls. I did as you suggested and and it seems to be working now; also as soon as I reset everything I received a low battery message which was surprising since the icon showed I had at least 50% battery. I hope I won't have anymore issues.

14 of 14 (2,148 Views)