Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 10, 2011
2:34:33 PM
View profile
iphone is downloading data on it's own

I have been on the phone with customer service today as my phone has transferred 1.4MB of data, most of which has been transferred during the night. When I googled the problem there are thousands and thousands of iphones doing this here and in the UK. The problem has been going on for years. There are messages from 2006 on some boards. I have turned off 3G and Cellular Data to stop the influx. Meanwhile I have these people in customer service asking me the most ridiculous questions like do i listen to internet radio, watch lots of movies or am I always logged into Facebook. Why hasn't this problem been solved? I received 6 text messages today telling me I have exceeded my plan. AT&T are investigating. Why don't they just fix it!

I have been on the phone with customer service today as my phone has transferred 1.4MB of data, most of which has been transferred during the night. When I googled the problem there are thousands and thousands of iphones doing this here and in the UK. The problem has been going on for years. There are messages from 2006 on some boards. I have turned off 3G and Cellular Data to stop the influx. Meanwhile I have these people in customer service asking me the most ridiculous questions like do i listen to internet radio, watch lots of movies or am I always logged into Facebook. Why hasn't this problem been solved? I received 6 text messages today telling me I have exceeded my plan. AT&T are investigating. Why don't they just fix it!

iphone is downloading data on it's own

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 3:13:45 PM
(0)
Professor

If you had read those messages, you would have seen that it is not transferring 1.4MB in the middle of the night.  AT&T bills an aggreatate total of an entire day's usage in the middle of the night.  All of that data is not being transfered at that exact time, it's just being billed at that time.

Regarding customer service's questions, they are trying to help you to find out what data you are using and when, so why dismiss their questions?  You could be streaming movies during the day and it simply gets billed at night for all they know, or you could have push notifications turned on, or have other programs that automatically fetch data.  They can't help you if they don't ask questions about how you are using the phone.  Also, did you turn off sending diagnostic data to Apple?  That's also something else mentioned in all of those threads.

However, it sounds like you took care of it by turning off cellular data (turning off 3G doesn't stop data, it just makes the data slower).  Regarding them "fixing the problem", it's not clear that there is a problem for them to fix.  In many cases it's an issue of users not knowing what their phone is doing.

If you had read those messages, you would have seen that it is not transferring 1.4MB in the middle of the night.  AT&T bills an aggreatate total of an entire day's usage in the middle of the night.  All of that data is not being transfered at that exact time, it's just being billed at that time.

Regarding customer service's questions, they are trying to help you to find out what data you are using and when, so why dismiss their questions?  You could be streaming movies during the day and it simply gets billed at night for all they know, or you could have push notifications turned on, or have other programs that automatically fetch data.  They can't help you if they don't ask questions about how you are using the phone.  Also, did you turn off sending diagnostic data to Apple?  That's also something else mentioned in all of those threads.

However, it sounds like you took care of it by turning off cellular data (turning off 3G doesn't stop data, it just makes the data slower).  Regarding them "fixing the problem", it's not clear that there is a problem for them to fix.  In many cases it's an issue of users not knowing what their phone is doing.

Re: iphone is downloading data on it's own

2 of 9 (1,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 8:39:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just looked through my last itmeized bill again.  I had 2 nights where I showed usage after 11:50PM, and both of those were Friday nights and the usage stopped before 1:30AM.  In at least once of those cases, I know I was up late loading data onto my cell phone for use on that Saturday, and I beleve that the otherone was the same thing.  If my cell phone an anomoly?  Is it because I connect my cell phone to AC power every night and leave it on since it also acts as my alarm clock?   don't know the answer to those questions, but I can say that although I used to see data usage billed in the 2:30AM time frame, I have not had any on this last bill, and my usage as billed seems to align fairly well to my normal routines based on the week days listed, etc.  I have notced that my data usage has crept up from about 40MB/month to now closer to 675MB/month.  I just attribute that to my using my phone more and not caring if I am on wifi or 3G service.  YMMV.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I just looked through my last itmeized bill again.  I had 2 nights where I showed usage after 11:50PM, and both of those were Friday nights and the usage stopped before 1:30AM.  In at least once of those cases, I know I was up late loading data onto my cell phone for use on that Saturday, and I beleve that the otherone was the same thing.  If my cell phone an anomoly?  Is it because I connect my cell phone to AC power every night and leave it on since it also acts as my alarm clock?   don't know the answer to those questions, but I can say that although I used to see data usage billed in the 2:30AM time frame, I have not had any on this last bill, and my usage as billed seems to align fairly well to my normal routines based on the week days listed, etc.  I have notced that my data usage has crept up from about 40MB/month to now closer to 675MB/month.  I just attribute that to my using my phone more and not caring if I am on wifi or 3G service.  YMMV.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (1,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 6:29:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hi new visitor.

If you carefully read the AT&T data usage page, you will see that it states billing records may be delayed up to 72 hours. While it often is a "real time" report of data, for whatever reason AT&T bundles up all the little data usage in a day and it shows up in the middle of the night as a single smallish transaction.

There is nothing to fix.

You can control your wireless data completely by turning off wireless data when you don't want to use it.

Your iPhone might use data for any number of reasons, in the background. This is what an always connected device does.

Hi new visitor.

If you carefully read the AT&T data usage page, you will see that it states billing records may be delayed up to 72 hours. While it often is a "real time" report of data, for whatever reason AT&T bundles up all the little data usage in a day and it shows up in the middle of the night as a single smallish transaction.

There is nothing to fix.

You can control your wireless data completely by turning off wireless data when you don't want to use it.

Your iPhone might use data for any number of reasons, in the background. This is what an always connected device does.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 8:03:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

Well it's not technically AT&T's problem, it's more of Apple's problem and how they wrote the software. Though it's a pain to do this every night, what you could do is turn cellular data off before you go to sleep and have your phone feed off WiFi. When you do this your iphone will use WiFi (I think) when it's in sleep mode.

Well it's not technically AT&T's problem, it's more of Apple's problem and how they wrote the software. Though it's a pain to do this every night, what you could do is turn cellular data off before you go to sleep and have your phone feed off WiFi. When you do this your iphone will use WiFi (I think) when it's in sleep mode.

5 of 9 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 8:42:04 AM
(0)
Guru

Actually to have the iPhone4 use your local Wifi while in sleep mode, keep it plugged in to the phone charger.

When the iPhone4 is plugged in to its charger, it's supposed to maintain the use of Wifi, even while in sleep mode.  If the phone is not on the charger, it extends battery life by only using cellular data.

Actually to have the iPhone4 use your local Wifi while in sleep mode, keep it plugged in to the phone charger.

When the iPhone4 is plugged in to its charger, it's supposed to maintain the use of Wifi, even while in sleep mode.  If the phone is not on the charger, it extends battery life by only using cellular data.

6 of 9 (1,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 12:26:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but does the radio that supports the Wifi function use more battery power than the radio that supports cellular data?  I realize they operate on different frequencies but it seems that maybe those frequencies require different power levels as well?

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but does the radio that supports the Wifi function use more battery power than the radio that supports cellular data?  I realize they operate on different frequencies but it seems that maybe those frequencies require different power levels as well?

7 of 9 (1,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 1:31:22 PM
(0)
Guru

bkmjk wrote:

Well in the context of this thread, the power requirements don't matter.  It's cheaper, battery-wise, to maintain activity only on the cellular antenna than it is to keep both Wifi and Cellular active, and since whether plugged into power or not cellular is always active (how else will you receive your phone calls and texts), it just makes sense to turn off the Wifi when not plugged in.

Though consumption-wise, I believe Wifi requires less power.

bkmjk wrote:

Well in the context of this thread, the power requirements don't matter.  It's cheaper, battery-wise, to maintain activity only on the cellular antenna than it is to keep both Wifi and Cellular active, and since whether plugged into power or not cellular is always active (how else will you receive your phone calls and texts), it just makes sense to turn off the Wifi when not plugged in.

Though consumption-wise, I believe Wifi requires less power.

8 of 9 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 2:34:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bkmjk wrote:

I leave BT and WiFi on all the time on my iPhone4. It has nearly no impact at all on battery life. Transmitting/recieving data via wifi is actually lower power drain than 3G data. Think of 3G data, "talk time", and "Wifi data" as all about the same, battery load wise, and you'll be more or less right.

bkmjk wrote:

I leave BT and WiFi on all the time on my iPhone4. It has nearly no impact at all on battery life. Transmitting/recieving data via wifi is actually lower power drain than 3G data. Think of 3G data, "talk time", and "Wifi data" as all about the same, battery load wise, and you'll be more or less right.

9 of 9 (1,644 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments