Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2011
12:30:46 AM
View profile
iphone --> BB --> iphone
Edited by medicap on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:35:59 AM

Basically as it states, I started with a 16g Iphone3g and then sidegraded to a blackberry torch, and now i am kinda wanting to switch back for a while, seeing how sometimes i travel (love my iphone for traveling) and othertimes i just want a simplistic smartphone. Is there anyway to be able to just move the sim card over and have it work that way? Thanks for the help in advance.

Forgot a couple things to mention; I had an  unlimited data plan on my iphone, then did mysidegrade and still have unlimited.  and like I kind of hinted at before, not looking for a permanent switch, just something on the fly.

Basically as it states, I started with a 16g Iphone3g and then sidegraded to a blackberry torch, and now i am kinda wanting to switch back for a while, seeing how sometimes i travel (love my iphone for traveling) and othertimes i just want a simplistic smartphone. Is there anyway to be able to just move the sim card over and have it work that way? Thanks for the help in advance.

Forgot a couple things to mention; I had an  unlimited data plan on my iphone, then did mysidegrade and still have unlimited.  and like I kind of hinted at before, not looking for a permanent switch, just something on the fly.

iphone --> BB --> iphone

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 4:05:59 AM
(0)
Professor

It is possible to do what you describe, just understand that everytime you swap the SIM between devices, the IMEI in AT&T's database will need to be updated.

Calling will work, but other features, most notably Internet connectivity will not work correctly until the IMEI is updated.

This can be done via the OLAM or by calling CS.

It is possible to do what you describe, just understand that everytime you swap the SIM between devices, the IMEI in AT&T's database will need to be updated.

Calling will work, but other features, most notably Internet connectivity will not work correctly until the IMEI is updated.

This can be done via the OLAM or by calling CS.

Re: iphone --> BB --> iphone

2 of 8 (364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 5:16:00 AM
(0)
Master

As long as you switch between smartphones, you will not loose your unlimited data plan.  The biggest issue is going to be ensuring your data plans are ligned up correctly to ensure the right services match the particular phone your are using at the time.  While both plans are unlimited, the services will be different.  You may also see odd things in your bill as the system attempts to prorate and re-prorate your account everytime you change your data plan. 

Even though you can swicth phones, you may not like the hassels associated with keeping your account accurate.

Good luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

As long as you switch between smartphones, you will not loose your unlimited data plan.  The biggest issue is going to be ensuring your data plans are ligned up correctly to ensure the right services match the particular phone your are using at the time.  While both plans are unlimited, the services will be different.  You may also see odd things in your bill as the system attempts to prorate and re-prorate your account everytime you change your data plan. 

Even though you can swicth phones, you may not like the hassels associated with keeping your account accurate.

Good luck!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 8 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 5:59:05 AM
(0)
Professor

Because you have the unlimited data plan, you'll have to call CS everyt time you want to switch phones. The OLAM won't let you switch plans. I've been through this a few times going between iPhones, Blackberrys and Captivates.

Because you have the unlimited data plan, you'll have to call CS everyt time you want to switch phones. The OLAM won't let you switch plans. I've been through this a few times going between iPhones, Blackberrys and Captivates.

4 of 8 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 3:43:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It seems more of a hassle to me than it's really worth. But if you're fine with it and are up for taking possible risks of losing your unlimited data plan, I'm not stopping you. Seriously, go right ahead. That's just the way I think of it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

It seems more of a hassle to me than it's really worth. But if you're fine with it and are up for taking possible risks of losing your unlimited data plan, I'm not stopping you. Seriously, go right ahead. That's just the way I think of it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 4:19:35 PM
(0)
Master
The OP won't risk losing his/her unlimited data plan as long as they go through customer service to switch them onto the proper data plan for the smartphone that they are using at the time. I recently switched from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Inspire 4G and back to the iPhone 4 again while maintaining my unlimited data plan.
The OP won't risk losing his/her unlimited data plan as long as they go through customer service to switch them onto the proper data plan for the smartphone that they are using at the time. I recently switched from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Inspire 4G and back to the iPhone 4 again while maintaining my unlimited data plan.

6 of 8 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 5:17:30 PM
(0)
Master
Irish rose, I think the issue here is the more frequent changes that are ripe for errors.

Irish rose, I think the issue here is the more frequent changes that are ripe for errors.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

7 of 8 (316 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 5:39:09 AM
(0)
Master
You are probably right, youngjm. Since I got the iPhone I haven't been switching my phones out as frequently anymore.
You are probably right, youngjm. Since I got the iPhone I haven't been switching my phones out as frequently anymore.

8 of 8 (289 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments