Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 14, 2012
10:52:31 AM
View profile
iphone/droid sim swap?
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to take my sim card out of my Droid device and put it in my iPhone then switch the data plan to an iPhone data plan? Or, do you need a new sim card?

Thanks!
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to take my sim card out of my Droid device and put it in my iPhone then switch the data plan to an iPhone data plan? Or, do you need a new sim card?

Thanks!

iphone/droid sim swap?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 11:23:10 AM
(0)
Professor

That depends on the iPhone.

3G and 3Gs use a full size SIM

4 and 4s use the micro SIM

That depends on the iPhone.

3G and 3Gs use a full size SIM

4 and 4s use the micro SIM

Re: iphone/droid sim swap?

2 of 13 (37,558 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 8:10:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

saber653 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

The answer is Yes...

You will probably need to trim the SIM to micro SIM size if you're using an iPhone 4 or 4S.  

I have done this with my Atrix as well as using the micro SIM in non Smartphones by using an adapter, available on e-bay for a buck or two.

Or,  you can just get a new micro SIM from the carrier, presumably at&t and then buy a SIM adapter if you want to go back to the Droid.

saber653 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

The answer is Yes...

You will probably need to trim the SIM to micro SIM size if you're using an iPhone 4 or 4S.  

I have done this with my Atrix as well as using the micro SIM in non Smartphones by using an adapter, available on e-bay for a buck or two.

Or,  you can just get a new micro SIM from the carrier, presumably at&t and then buy a SIM adapter if you want to go back to the Droid.

3 of 13 (37,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 2:13:29 PM
(0)
Guru

First, since we're on AT&T, I think you mean "Android," as "Droid" is a term trademarked to Verizon and LucasFilms for premium Android OS-enabled devices. Secondly, it's only possible to switch your Android's SIM card into an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G or an iPhone. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S use Micro-SIM cards and therefore you'll need to change your SIM to one of those. I don't recommend cutting your SIM into a Micro-SIM because most AT&T stores will give you one for free. Also, I'd call AT&T and let them know you're changing devices, or be sure to explain in-store. It's free!

First, since we're on AT&T, I think you mean "Android," as "Droid" is a term trademarked to Verizon and LucasFilms for premium Android OS-enabled devices. Secondly, it's only possible to switch your Android's SIM card into an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G or an iPhone. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S use Micro-SIM cards and therefore you'll need to change your SIM to one of those. I don't recommend cutting your SIM into a Micro-SIM because most AT&T stores will give you one for free. Also, I'd call AT&T and let them know you're changing devices, or be sure to explain in-store. It's free!

Experience the Underlyingsound.

4 of 13 (37,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2012 10:11:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

Underlyingsound wrote:

Secondly, it's only possible to switch your Android's SIM card into an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G or an iPhone. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S use Micro-SIM cards and therefore you'll need to change your SIM to one of those. I don't recommend cutting your SIM into a Micro-SIM because most AT&T stores will give you one for free. Also, I'd call AT&T and let them know you're changing devices, or be sure to explain in-store. It's free!

If you're going to give advice, make sure it's correct.  I've cut many standard size SIMs to micro size, and use them both in a Droid and various models of iPhones (with the easily obtained SIM carrier / adapter).  

Yes, at&t will provide a new SIM, however travellers like me have a bag of prepaid SIMs from international carriers. It's easier to trim their SIM than go to each carrier and get a new SIM.

I bought a small SIM punch that does the deed in a few seconds, always a perfect cut.

On your other point, when I switched from the iPhone 4 to a Droid I went to the at&t corporate store to find out if anything needed to be done with my account.  The rep said no,  you're good do go without looking up my account.  I get occassional text messages from at&t advising me to go to the at&t store or call 611 to discuss a 4G account.  Haven't done it, Atrix works fine with the iPhone 4 micro SIM.

Cheers,

Underlyingsound wrote:

Secondly, it's only possible to switch your Android's SIM card into an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G or an iPhone. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S use Micro-SIM cards and therefore you'll need to change your SIM to one of those. I don't recommend cutting your SIM into a Micro-SIM because most AT&T stores will give you one for free. Also, I'd call AT&T and let them know you're changing devices, or be sure to explain in-store. It's free!

If you're going to give advice, make sure it's correct.  I've cut many standard size SIMs to micro size, and use them both in a Droid and various models of iPhones (with the easily obtained SIM carrier / adapter).  

Yes, at&t will provide a new SIM, however travellers like me have a bag of prepaid SIMs from international carriers. It's easier to trim their SIM than go to each carrier and get a new SIM.

I bought a small SIM punch that does the deed in a few seconds, always a perfect cut.

On your other point, when I switched from the iPhone 4 to a Droid I went to the at&t corporate store to find out if anything needed to be done with my account.  The rep said no,  you're good do go without looking up my account.  I get occassional text messages from at&t advising me to go to the at&t store or call 611 to discuss a 4G account.  Haven't done it, Atrix works fine with the iPhone 4 micro SIM.

Cheers,

5 of 13 (37,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2012 12:07:15 PM
(0)
Guru
You're not supposed to CUT your SIM card...sorry. I explained my thoughts on that further in the post. ~ Good Day!
You're not supposed to CUT your SIM card...sorry. I explained my thoughts on that further in the post. ~ Good Day!

6 of 13 (37,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 10:58:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Underlyingsound wrote:

Can you point me to the directive that indicates you're not supposed to cut a SIM card?   But, since it's my sim card I can do whatever I want, right?   or does at&t prohibit me from cutting my sim card?

Is this another one of those unwritten rules?

Good day..

Underlyingsound wrote:

Can you point me to the directive that indicates you're not supposed to cut a SIM card?   But, since it's my sim card I can do whatever I want, right?   or does at&t prohibit me from cutting my sim card?

Good day..

7 of 13 (37,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 7:47:17 PM
(0)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

Good day..

So can you show me where AT&T allows you to cut the SIM card? Can you give me a reason to? It's an option, but a stupid one. One that should not even be considered. Stop picking a fight...I have better things to do, like NOT cut my SIM card. LOL.

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

Good day..

So can you show me where AT&T allows you to cut the SIM card? Can you give me a reason to? It's an option, but a stupid one. One that should not even be considered. Stop picking a fight...I have better things to do, like NOT cut my SIM card. LOL.

8 of 13 (37,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 5:46:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

There's no need to cut the sim card, when you can just walk into an AT&T store and get a micro-sim for free. Which is where you'll end up anyway, if you botch the sim cutting effort.

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

There's no need to cut the sim card, when you can just walk into an AT&T store and get a micro-sim for free. Which is where you'll end up anyway, if you botch the sim cutting effort.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 13 (37,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 7:16:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, you do realize that at&t does not have a store in every city - town - village in the USA.  Nor does at&t have stores outside the USA, so sometimes you have to be creative.

johninsj wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, you do realize that at&t does not have a store in every city - town - village in the USA.  Nor does at&t have stores outside the USA, so sometimes you have to be creative.

10 of 13 (37,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 12:53:57 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Underlyingsound on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:54:27 PM

wireless-user wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Okie dokie. Thanks for the information, although, AT&T will send it to you...no matter where in the U.S. you are! And if you're outside the U.S., wait until you're in the U.S. or get another Micro-SIM from another carrier. And if you're out for a long period of time, odds are you shouldn't be on AT&T.

wireless-user wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Okie dokie. Thanks for the information, although, AT&T will send it to you...no matter where in the U.S. you are! And if you're outside the U.S., wait until you're in the U.S. or get another Micro-SIM from another carrier. And if you're out for a long period of time, odds are you shouldn't be on AT&T.

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (37,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 2:02:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

Underlyingsound wrote:

"you shouldn't be on AT&T."

Huh?  Someday, when you get a job that puts you in other countries throughout the world,  you'll understand.  In the meantime, cutting a SIM isn't a big issue.

Underlyingsound wrote:

Huh?  Someday, when you get a job that puts you in other countries throughout the world,  you'll understand.  In the meantime, cutting a SIM isn't a big issue.

12 of 13 (37,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 6:01:49 PM
(0)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

That's...not what I meant...sorry :/ If you're out of the country for more then 3 or 4 months...it doesn't really seem logical to have AT&T while out of the country for that long...that'd be pretty expensive. Go with a local provider/phone, and then when in the United States...order/pick up a Micro-SIM...not a big issue. Just seems silly to ever cut an AT&T SIM card.

wireless-user wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

That's...not what I meant...sorry :/ If you're out of the country for more then 3 or 4 months...it doesn't really seem logical to have AT&T while out of the country for that long...that'd be pretty expensive. Go with a local provider/phone, and then when in the United States...order/pick up a Micro-SIM...not a big issue. Just seems silly to ever cut an AT&T SIM card.

13 of 13 (37,206 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments